Dubs v Westmeath 25 June

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 24, 2017, 12:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Zulu on June 26, 2017, 12:20:45 AM
Complete nonsense. All you post recently when it comes to Dublin is their funding when any rational person would acknowledge that there's more to their dominance than that. Please show me your posts bemoaning the financial, and more, advantages Mayo enjoy over Leitrim and others? The GAA has never been a fair fight so why all the moaning now from people whose counties have enjoyed massive advantages for 100 years or more?

Mayo is roughly comparable in size to the likes of Kerry, Donegal and has always had a populous competitor in their own province. Leitrim is an outlier on the smaller side, it is they themselves that suffer from this. Having Dublin with the population of a province is ridiculous and you know perfectly well it is ridiculous yet you keep coming on here defending it like a DUP spokesman defending the Plantation of Ulster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 26, 2017, 12:28:02 AM
Quote from: Zulu on June 25, 2017, 11:59:04 PM
Because it's nonsense. Population and the hard work of volunteers is a huge part of it too. Of course funding should be available to all counties and those with good plans should be supported but Dublin's population will ensure most counties will rarely compete with them again.

Population yes volunteers is no every county has hard working volunteers.

Dublin have many organic factors population and culture being one. It's the inorganic factors that you are your ilk refuse to recognise as the primary factors for Dublin's success finance and home advantage. It's not rocket science..

I'm not refusing to recognise anything Dinny. Population, when harnessed, is the most significant factor. Not every county has the same number of hard working volunteers. Dublin would have loads of volunteers and with success they are very focused and kids are very engaged. 

Of course money is a factor, a significant one, and if anyone is talking about a fairer distribution of funding or increasing funding to certain counties I'd be in total agreement but Dublin will always be a strong because they have the numbers and are now organised.

I'm not in favour of hindering Dublin but I'm completely supportive of helping other counties.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on June 26, 2017, 12:45:23 AM
Because it's nonsense. Population and the hard work of volunteers is a huge part of it too. Of course funding should be available to all counties and those with good plans should be supported but Dublin's population will ensure most counties will rarely compete with them again.

Dublin have many organic factors population and culture being one. It's the inorganic factors that you are your ilk refuse to recognise as the primary factors for Dublin's success finance and home advantage. It's not rocket science..

I'm not refusing to recognise anything Dinny. Population, when harnessed, is the most significant factor. Not every county has the same number of hard working volunteers. Dublin would have loads of volunteers and with success they are very focused and kids are very engaged. 

Of course money is a factor, a significant one, and if anyone is talking about a fairer distribution of funding or increasing funding to certain counties I'd be in total agreement but Dublin will always be a strong because they have the numbers and are now organised.

I'm not in favour of hindering Dublin but I'm completely supportive of helping other counties.

No shít.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2017, 12:29:41 AM
It's about controlling the media and blackening players that are a threat to your team.

Did you have any criticism at the time for James Horan's comments in relation to Donegal and Michael Murphy and Joe McQuillan. They certainly intended to blacken the names of those people.

I'd also be interested to see what you felt about Kevin McStay going on a crusade to get Philly McMahon banned against Mayo.

Zulu

Complete nonsense. All you post recently when it comes to Dublin is their funding when any rational person would acknowledge that there's more to their dominance than that. Please show me your posts bemoaning the financial, and more, advantages Mayo enjoy over Leitrim and others? The GAA has never been a fair fight so why all the moaning now from people whose counties have enjoyed massive advantages for 100 years or more?

If you want to argue that there should be a better spread of funding then fair enough but if you think that will make a big difference then you're in cloud cuckoo land.

You are right it's not just about funding! It's about home advantage! It about lads with jobs that make them full time professionals. It's about sponsorship. It's about sleeping in your own bed the night before a big game. It's about providing top facilities on your doorstep. It's about controlling the media and blackening players that are a threat to your team. But hey stick your Blue head in the sand and enjoy the ride. Cos it going to last a long time. But there aint going to be many outsiders watching when it's over.

Right, Mayo and Kerry certainly enjoy a significant media presence and play the game as well as anyone else. Croke Park is our national stadium and both players and many supporters want to be there though I'd imagine few Dub supporters have any problem travelling to games.

According to the Cunningham on the radio today Dublin aren't the only county getting meals provided or have jobs that make them fulltime professionals.

Perhaps rather than complaining about 'professional' players (proof please) or the big bad media (with as many Mayo lads as anyone) you can lay out how you are going to make it a level playing field for the likes of Leitrim, Mayo and Dublin?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 26, 2017, 12:46:43 AM
It's about controlling the media and blackening players that are a threat to your team.

Did you have any criticism at the time for James Horan's comments in relation to Donegal and Michael Murphy and Joe McQuillan. They certainly intended to blacken the names of those people.

I'd also be interested to see what you felt about Kevin McStay going on a crusade to get Philly McMahon banned against Mayo.

Totally agree! Yeah! The Big guns do this all the time! Don't remember the Philly gig but you can be sure it happened! Luckily you come from a county who never partake in any of that sort of mind games. You are so lucky. Blessed I'd say!

Zulu

Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2017, 12:43:47 AM

Mayo is roughly comparable in size to the likes of Kerry, Donegal and has always had a populous competitor in their own province. Leitrim is an outlier on the smaller side, it is they themselves that suffer from this. Having Dublin with the population of a province is ridiculous and you know perfectly well it is ridiculous yet you keep coming on here defending it like a DUP spokesman defending the Plantation of Ulster.

Leitrim isn't the only example, what about Carlow, Longford, Cavan, Monaghan, or the hurling counties in Munster? Many counties have significantly smaller population and financial support than the likes of Mayo or Kerry so what makes Dublin unique?

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2017, 12:46:34 AM

No shít.

Please expand on your plan to keep provincial championships while amalgamating counties and splitting others. Otherwise leave the adults to talk.

Captain Scarlet

Something of interest in terms of the split of A and B from Conan Doherty on joe.ie

Put it this way, if the championship was divided two ways in 2017 based off the top two divisions of the national league and the bottom two divisions of the national league, you'd still have had these results.

Laois 4-15 Longford 0-16
    Kildare 2-16 Meath 0-13
    Tyrone 0-22 Derry 0-11
    Monaghan 1-20 Fermanagh 1-11

And that was before the Dubs hammered Westmeath today. Kildare were Div 3 last year and would have been B. Now they would be fancied to do something in Super 8.
There is so much flux that it is so hard to sort out the division.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on June 26, 2017, 12:55:56 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2017, 12:46:34 AM

No shít.

Please expand on your plan to keep provincial championships while amalgamating counties and splitting others. Otherwise leave the adults to talk.

???

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on June 26, 2017, 12:51:57 AM

If you want to argue that there should be a better spread of funding then fair enough but if you think that will make a big difference then you're in cloud cuckoo land.

You are right it's not just about funding! It's about home advantage! It about lads with jobs that make them full time professionals. It's about sponsorship. It's about sleeping in your own bed the night before a big game. It's about providing top facilities on your doorstep. It's about controlling the media and blackening players that are a threat to your team. But hey stick your Blue head in the sand and enjoy the ride. Cos it going to last a long time. But there aint going to be many outsiders watching when it's over.

Right, Mayo and Kerry certainly enjoy a significant media presence and play the game as well as anyone else. Croke Park is our national stadium and both players and many supporters want to be there though I'd imagine few Dub supporters have any problem travelling to games.

According to the Cunningham on the radio today Dublin aren't the only county getting meals provided or have jobs that make them fulltime professionals.

Perhaps rather than complaining about 'professional' players (proof please) or the big bad media (with as many Mayo lads as anyone) you can lay out how you are going to make it a level playing field for the likes of Leitrim, Mayo and Dublin?

We are not talking about a level playing field. We are talking about a Hill that has become a mountain. There is no way back. the GAA have set where we are in stone and it will be the end of our games in the long run. The GAA don't care at the moment and probably wont care in the future. Luckily there is still a club scene that most of us can go back to within our county. That has been and will be the savour of the game within most counties.

Zulu

Sorry I thought that was a coherent idea you had but apparently you were just throwing out random shite as you don't have any solution to the problems we have. So, just to be crystal clear, we split Dublin and leave everything else as it is and we will be ok?

Dinny Breen

Dublin have never been as dominant in Leinster as they are now, they have always had success due to population and tradition/culture but two major significant changes happened in the last 15 years Bertie and the GAA started pumping millions into Dublin at a vastly disproportionate rate and then inexplicably Dublin have been allowed commandeer Croke Park as their home venue. Anyone who knows anything about sport knows the more you invest the more chance of success, likewise teams win more at home than away. I can't imagine any sport that allows one play at home for all its games in it's primary competition.

The only people that should enjoy Dublin should be economists...it really is a Freakonomics podcast in waiting..

#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on June 26, 2017, 01:05:13 AM
Sorry I thought that was a coherent idea you had but apparently you were just throwing out random shite as you don't have any solution to the problems we have. So, just to be crystal clear, we split Dublin and leave everything else as it is and we will be ok?

You seem to be getting very upset now that everyone has cottoned on to how ridiculous and intransient your stance is. You're talking about adults when it's you who has some growing up left to do.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2017, 01:03:13 AM
Quote from: Zulu on June 26, 2017, 12:51:57 AM

We are not talking about a level playing field. We are talking about a Hill that has become a mountain. There is no way back. the GAA have set where we are in stone and it will be the end of our games in the long run. The GAA don't care at the moment and probably wont care in the future. Luckily there is still a club scene that most of us can go back to within our county. That has been and will be the savour of the game within most counties.

Ok, so it's fine for Mayo have inherent advantages over Leitrim but not Dublin? The GAA do care and are redistributing funding but a county with near 2 million people will, usually, be the best in the country when most other counties have less than 200,000 people. So the only way to change that is to split them but if you are splitting Dublin then why not other counties that have big populations?