We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

He shouldnt have touched Brannigan - thats a simple fact and if he was sent off at the time then deserved his medicine.

But he also should not have been retrospectively banned and indeed only was banned because of the witch-hunt in the media and on TSG.

The deafening silence of the incident on Saturday night means there wont be a ban. No witch-hunt. No calling for bans on TSG. Everything is rosy in the GAA garden  :-\

Fuzzman

I have saw him play a few teams in championship for his clubs and he usually doesn't get the same sort of attention as he does say from Lee Keegan or in Leinster games.
He tends to keep his nose clean for most of what I saw and kicks the odd amazing score out of nothing.

I know a lad from his club and he says he's a lovely fella off the field and does so much work for his club.

Most of my Dub friends are fed up with the controversy around him every year and I'm just wondering is that maybe why Gavin has stirred it up again in some strange way to appear like he's supporting him but in fact it's too push him out the door. He'll be 30 next year and I'd say Gavin might not be too bothered if he was to hang up the boots.
I see Tommy Lyons has said his season is probably over this year as he'll not be walking straight into the team for the AI semifinal and then it will be hard to drop someone for the final.

Could this be a sly way for Gavin to ease DC out of the limelight and let Dublin focus on 3 in a row with no further distractions.

So Taylor, you don't think justice was served even though you admit he shouldn't have touched the linesman.
I would imagine the CCCC will make a statement this evening about the knees up in Armagh on Sat night.

Taylor

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 26, 2017, 03:41:07 PM
I have saw him play a few teams in championship for his clubs and he usually doesn't get the same sort of attention as he does say from Lee Keegan or in Leinster games.
He tends to keep his nose clean for most of what I saw and kicks the odd amazing score out of nothing.

I know a lad from his club and he says he's a lovely fella off the field and does so much work for his club.

Most of my Dub friends are fed up with the controversy around him every year and I'm just wondering is that maybe why Gavin has stirred it up again in some strange way to appear like he's supporting him but in fact it's too push him out the door. He'll be 30 next year and I'd say Gavin might not be too bothered if he was to hang up the boots.
I see Tommy Lyons has said his season is probably over this year as he'll not be walking straight into the team for the AI semifinal and then it will be hard to drop someone for the final.

Could this be a sly way for Gavin to ease DC out of the limelight and let Dublin focus on 3 in a row with no further distractions.

So Taylor, you don't think justice was served even though you admit he shouldn't have touched the linesman.
I would imagine the CCCC will make a statement this evening about the knees up in Armagh on Sat night.

I disagree with the way it was served up Fuzz.

Feels like an agenda was at play to nail him which other players dont get. If the GAA are consistent for the rest of this season in dishing out retrospective bans then it will be fully justified.
I doubt this will happen though

J70

The selective retrospective ban stuff has been around for years and there have been more ridiculous examples, by far, than what Connolly has faced.

Paddy Campbell played in the Ulster Final in 2006 before he subsequently got a month and missed the qualifer and quarter final for giving Enda Muldoon a quick testicle examination in the Ulster semi. That was highlighted by TSG that night on tv, yet it took them several weeks, and an Ulster Final in the meantime, to get around to sorting it out. Brolly was the driving force behind that one.

You are right though. We'll plough along as usual.

screenexile

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 03:44:43 PM

Feels like an agenda was at play to nail him which other players dont get. If the GAA are consistent for the rest of this season in dishing out retrospective bans then it will be fully justified.

The Dublin media machine did a hatchet job on Keegan last year so I don't think they can have too many complaints about this one!

Taylor

Quote from: screenexile on June 26, 2017, 04:13:53 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 03:44:43 PM

The Dublin media machine did a hatchet job on Keegan last year so I don't think they can have too many complaints about this one!

100% right on that one. And that was completely orchestrated

yellowcard

According to Bernard Flynn yesterday's press conference was a circus, a stunt, totally bizarre and a joke. Over reacting much?

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on June 26, 2017, 07:24:28 PM
According to Bernard Flynn yesterday's press conference was a circus, a stunt, totally bizarre and a joke. Over reacting much?

???

Almost everyone agrees with him on all of that.

shark

He's probably right though. Gavin has his own press man (who was formerly press officer for the Defence Forces), and there is no way this was off the cuff. All pre ordained with the words carefully chosen. A stunt, but with what goal? We can only speculate.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on June 26, 2017, 09:16:52 PM

He's probably right though. Gavin has his own press man (who was formerly press officer for the Defence Forces), and there is no way this was off the cuff. All pre ordained with the words carefully chosen. A stunt, but with what goal? We can only speculate.

Speculate? It's to create a siege mentality. It's so see-through I'd have to question the emotional intelligence of any Dublin footballer who has fell for it.

UlsterMan2

This is what's so wrong with players discipline now, they commit a crime and get completely backed by the manager, instead of being told in no uncertain terms how they have let everyone down.

From the Bunker

Quote from: UlsterMan2 on June 26, 2017, 10:58:47 PM
This is what's so wrong with players discipline now, they commit a crime and get completely backed by the manager, instead of being told in no uncertain terms how they have let everyone down.

Next they will all be wearing T-Shirts to show their support!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2017, 09:33:06 PM
Quote from: shark on June 26, 2017, 09:16:52 PM

Speculate? It's to create a siege mentality. It's so see-through I'd have to question the emotional intelligence of any Dublin footballer who has fell for it.

Exactly, a pathetic attempt at creating a siege mentality and get an extra 10% from a group of players who have won it all. Also the timing is interesting to deflect from a 31 point victory where the media spotlight is on this non issue rather than building the Dubs up to be superhumans as Kildare wait to ambush them. Straight out of the Jose Mourhino management handbook. Like Syferus said, I'm surprised the Dublin players fall for this, never mind the media.
That was never a square ball!!

omaghjoe

Quote from: UlsterMan2 on June 26, 2017, 10:58:47 PM

They might be told that behind closed doors.... but when a player is publicly persecuted like Connolly the manger manipulates the situation to build a relationship with his player.

Fuzzman

There certainly seems to have been a big surprise in the media yesterday about Jim Gavin's strange interview. I really only got to watch it in detail last night and even the way it started off was very peculiar in that he was almost denying there was a problem and that he was doing interviews in the more public domain of the auditorium.

It really looked like a staged performance to get a reaction or as some say to difuse away from their huge win over Westmeath. It so reminds me of how Mickey Harte used to do impeccable interviews back in the early 2000s where he spoke openly and honestly like Gavin likes to appear but then it all went pear shaped.

I think part of it is that RTE have 3 Kerry men now on the TSG panel and he maybe felt he had to lay down a marker than he would stand by his player no matter what. However, like I said yesterday I think he's just drawn more attention to Connolly and his past and maybe this is a big ploy to force some fans to think Connolly is just not worth the hassle any more and Dublin can win without him anyway. Most of expect Dublin to get to the AI final again this year without Connolly and so maybe Gavin's plan was to show that Dublin GAA are better off without all the hassle he brings to the table.

Listening to Brolly last night and it's hard to take the man seriously at any level as he spouts so many tall tales and exagerrations of the truth. Most of what he said of Spillane was untrue and I don't get the big deal being made of him reading out a script. I mean so what if he did read something out of his notes, as long as it was accurate. Was his point about if it was Gooch then would it have been different?
If Gooch had of pushed the linesman then he too would have been punished the same in my eyes.