Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Do you honestly believe that??????

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

So you think any player can push the linesman and have no punishment?

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

Answer the question I asked,

Do you think a player can push a linesman and have no punishment?

Of course not.

But that's not the issue. The linesman did not deem it worthy of censure - neither did the ref- until the anti-Dublin media swung into action and influenced proceedings causing a reversal of their original decision. Connolly was wrong but he is entitled to due and fair process - this did not happen.

So because the officials fúcked up Connolly should walk? It's a review-able offense, lad. Have theses Dublin apologists actually read back their own thoughts?

Who says they fúcked up though? They dealt with it (it didn't merit a red / yellow / black etc) My issue is they are reviewing a decision, at whos behest we don't know, they already made. Is that fair on Connolly?
You did!
As you confirmed in your previous post, no player should push a linesman and escape punishment.

Absolutely no player should push an official - red card + ban.
In this instance the linesman originally felt there was no need to take this matter further. I'm not sure whether I agree with him or not but that's his decision. It's how it becomes an issue later on is what's troubling? Why did he change his mind? Was he influenced?
Why wasn't he sent off?

Is it citing you seem to to have trouble with? I finding it hard to understand where you stand on this. The GAA is well within its rights to address these issues retroactively to ensure the rules are correctly applied.

Buttofthehill

Apologies for not being clear, repeating myself.

My issue is with the 360 turn by the ref and linesman.

They both knew exactly what happened and must've felt no action was required - no card.

Fast forward and it finds itself in the ref's report. Why the change of heart? Was there outside influence - media etc?

Connollys entitled to a fair process but this is not the case here. Send him off, otherwise as the officials had a clear view, it should not appear in the report.

Hardy

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 08:05:09 PM

They both knew exactly what happened and must've felt no action was required - no card.

Fast forward and it finds itself in the ref's report. Why the change of heart? Was there outside influence - media etc?

Connollys entitled to a fair process but this is not the case here. Send him off, otherwise as the officials had a clear view, it should not appear in the report.

Why does it matter? The important thing is that manhandling of the official has been punished and players at all levels know where they stand. If that hadn't happened, would you be happy with the message that sends out? Even if it happened as a result of someone from the CCCC contacting the ref and suggesting he should take another look at it, where's the harm in that?

Having said that, my suggestion for what happened:
The ref. didn't even notice it in real time. The push happened in about 250 milliseconds. He then saw it on The Sunday Game, as well as seeing the reaction. He said to himself, "Oops, I missed a clear breach of Rule 7.2. That'll have to go in my report."
(Note, the fact that the linesman didn't see fit to bring it to the referee's attention in real time is irrelevant. It's the referee's opinion that matters.)

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Hardy on June 14, 2017, 08:13:32 PM

Why does it matter? The important thing is that manhandling of the official has been punished and players at all levels know where they stand. If that hadn't happened, would you be happy with the message that sends out? Even if it happened as a result of someone from the CCCC contacting the ref and suggesting he should take another look at it, where's the harm in that?

The ref. didn't even notice it in real time. The push happened in about 250 milliseconds. He then saw it on The Sunday Game, as well as seeing the reaction. He said to himself, "Oops, I missed a clear breach of Rule 7.2. That'll have to go in my report."
(Note, the fact that the linesman didn't see fit to bring it to the referee's attention in real time is irrelevant. It's the referee's opinion that matters.)

So the linesman failed to report it - hardly becoming of an inter-county referee, so I'd expect him to be not reffing any inter-county championship games for a while as he brushed up on the rulebook.  Did that happen?  Nope...the linesman was referee in a provincial semi-final the following weekend. 

Not good enough on either side of this. 

I suppose every player can be reported by the referee, even if the player is not cautioned or carded in any way.  Maybe the ref should write his report before leaving the dressingroom after the game and not be influenced by any media - just ref, linesmen and umpires?

macdanger2

tonto1888

Quote from: Hardy on June 14, 2017, 08:13:32 PM

He hardly manhandled him now did he

JoG2

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 06:50:19 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 14, 2017, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 11:54:41 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2017, 11:36:55 AM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 11:33:51 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2017, 11:27:45 AM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 10:55:21 AM
Quote from: westbound on June 14, 2017, 10:39:36 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 07:32:44 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Do you honestly believe that??????

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

So you think any player can push the linesman and have no punishment?

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

Answer the question I asked,

Do you think a player can push a linesman and have no punishment?

Of course not.

But that's not the issue. The linesman did not deem it worthy of censure - neither did the ref- until the anti-Dublin media swung into action and influenced proceedings causing a reversal of their original decision. Connolly was wrong but he is entitled to due and fair process - this did not happen.

So because the officials fúcked up Connolly should walk? It's a review-able offense, lad. Have theses Dublin apologists actually read back their own thoughts?

Who says they fúcked up though? They dealt with it (it didn't merit a red / yellow / black etc) My issue is they are reviewing a decision, at whos behest we don't know, they already made. Is that fair on Connolly?

If he committed the offense and wasn't correctly punished, of course it's fair on him.

Well then we are in the realm of 'make it up as you go along'.

As far as I was aware, the ref and linesman were in agreement that he didn't need to be 'correctly punished'.

what do you think they are making up as they go along?

The disciplinary process for doling out punishments/suspensions.

you're saying, re the Connolly case, that they are making it up as they go along. That's clearly nonsense. The CCCC can revisit the refs report. It's all in black and white in the Disciplinary Handbook and Official Rules and Regulations Guide and has been talked about in this thread. Minimum sentence for Connolly's offence is 12 weeks. He's received 12 weeks. So again, what exactly are they making up as they go along? Have a read at the Jordan article above. It's time players started taking their oil.  You needy untwist the knickers Butt

nrico2006

Philip Jordan has some neck on him with that column.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 15, 2017, 11:31:42 AM

I disagree...this could be a pivotal moment if the powers that be seize the opportunity. Flaws in the process have been highlighted ( as they have many times in the past in fairness), the rule book needs rewritten, referees need protecting etc etc. A high profile case like Connolly's could be the catalyst.  I'm glad someone like Jordan has spoken out, I'm sure most would agree with what he is saying.

Fuzzman

Why?
There seems to be an attitude on here that if your'e county is guilty of behaving the same way as those being charged then you are not entitled to an opinion.
"that's rich coming from a ... man" is such a pathetic reply in my eyes.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 15, 2017, 01:03:41 PM

Why?
There seems to be an attitude on here that if your'e county is guilty of behaving the same way as those being charged then you are not entitled to an opinion.

That's rich coming from a Tyrone lad living in Dublin!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2017, 01:26:21 PM

Why?

That's rich coming from an Offaly lad living in Tipp!!
#newbridgeornowhere

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 15, 2017, 01:30:24 PM

Why?

Straight from the horse's mouth.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 15, 2017, 01:30:24 PM

Why?

That's rich from a Rugby man masquerading on a GAA forum!

Fuzzman

Pathetic replies.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the players to the next controversial decision by a ref or linesman.