We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

AZOffaly

You're being ridiculous. And I hate that behaviour you are talking about. There's a black card there to give to lads who 'run 100 yards to abuse them' so they have that protection. And as for cheating and diving, I'd suspend lads for that too.

Both of those pale into insignificance beside physically pushing an official, in a state of anger. And stop trying to downplay it. A light push. It was the sort of push that if you did it in a pub, you'd get a box on the snot for it. He was irate, pushed the linesman, and it caused him to take 2 steps backwards.

tonto1888

Is it an appeal or a hearing? Maybe he just wants to be able to train with he rest of his teammates during the 12 weeks

nrico2006

I find it hard to see how the GAA could let him off with this one given McGeeney's suspension for a less serious issue.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

ballinaman

How old is Connolly?
If he gets off or not is irrelevant in my opinion. There will be plenty more pages added to this thread over the next few years.
Unless he's allowed to play with a zorb around him so he can't be touched but can still spray passes and kick scores.....a opposing player will inevitability do something that Diarmuid doesn't like (fairly or unfairly) and he'll bite.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on June 13, 2017, 08:47:10 AM
How old is Connolly?
If he gets off or not is irrelevant in my opinion. There will be plenty more pages added to this thread over the next few years.
Unless he's allowed to play with a zorb around him so he can't be touched but can still spray passes and kick scores.....a opposing player will inevitability do something that Diarmuid doesn't like (fairly or unfairly) and he'll bite.

I think that's a different lad, to be fair :)

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 08:59:37 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 13, 2017, 08:47:10 AM
How old is Connolly?

I think that's a different lads, to be fair :)
;)

lenny

Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Taylor

Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

But he isnt being done for verbal abuse so what is your point?

AZOffaly

A 'light' touch that caused the linesman to take 2 steps backwards. What level of violence is acceptable lenny? A light open hand slap that doesn't draw blood?

People saying what about a lad that put his arm on a ref's arm in a 'ah jaysus be nice' kind of way are missing the point probably deliberately. Connolly was irate, aggressive, and in the linesman's face. After he pushed him, he then stuck his finger in his face giving out. He wasn't in any way being calm or conciliatory.

johnneycool

Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM

I didn't say it was physical abuse and it wasn't a light touch on the shoulder either, it was a push to the shoulder area enough to push a grown man back a few strides. Was Branagan gravely injured, no, but neither I'm sure was the linesman that McGeeney abused or the referee that Galvin knocked the notebook from.

I'm not denying that referees don't get abused up and down the country from U12's up, but maybe just maybe its even more important to ensure that players at the top level of intercounty hurling and football are held accountable for their actions and that may trickle down to the youngsters watching. Let Connolly and the others with a history of surrounding referees and giving out sets a bad precedent thought-out the organisation and in fairness its Connolly this time, but whoever it is needs properly sanctioned.

Buttofthehill

People are missing the point here.

Did the linesman feel like some sort of foul play occurred? - this is the big issue for me. He clearly didn't. If he did, he would have brought it to the attention of the ref and an appropriate sanction would have taken place. As it was, the linesman felt that it did not fall under the remit of 'minor interference' and felt no action was required. Q mass hysteria from Sky etc and he seems to have changed his opinion after somebody got in his ear - this is where (I imagine) the appeal comes from.

Of course, I don't know how the linesman felt at the time - none of us do. But I know that if I felt like I was wronged by a player, I would bring it to the attention of the ref. The linesman didn't; so by inference, he didn't feel there was an issue.

Personally, I think he should have been sent off, end of story BUT the linesman didn't see it that way until (mysteriously) later on.

Hardy

There is nothing in the rule about the linesman's feelings.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 10:18:51 AM
A 'light' touch that caused the linesman to take 2 steps backwards. What level of violence is acceptable lenny? A light open hand slap that doesn't draw blood?

People saying what about a lad that put his arm on a ref's arm in a 'ah jaysus be nice' kind of way are missing the point probably deliberately. Connolly was irate, aggressive, and in the linesman's face. After he pushed him, he then stuck his finger in his face giving out. He wasn't in any way being calm or conciliatory.
No and the poor hoor of a linesman knew about Connolly's flash temper and the episode in McGowans too, you can bet.
Now if it were Berno or Clucko or any of the rest of the team, the fear factor wouldn't be so great.  I don't think anyone else on the team would be regarded as a headbanger. No ifs or buts, the linesman felt he was being threatened.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi