Top 10 Forwards since 1977 - Survey Results

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 22, 2017, 10:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

It's hard to really judge Browne. Did he ever play in any semi-serious game against a decent opponent? With all due respect if Kerry or Cork were playing Tipp 15 years ago it would generally be played at a leisurely pace where Cork and Kerry ran out easy victors.

In contrast you can certainly judge Mattie Forde much more on merit, he delivered some massive performances against credible opposition in closely fought games.

Not Browne's fault but there will always be loads of question marks over how good he really was.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on April 24, 2017, 06:05:59 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 24, 2017, 04:24:20 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 24, 2017, 12:40:10 PM
Kieran Cunningham not happy with ye https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/856469282389143552 He has a point.
It must be a slow week for that journalist if he is on gaaboard and is upset by what he read on here.

What does his opinion have to do with his profession?

Weird comment. Getting personal for no apparent reason.
I got personal did i? you are the king of the weird comments on here oops.. getting personal for no apparent reason again  ;D

thewobbler

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 24, 2017, 06:23:02 PM
It's hard to really judge Browne. Did he ever play in any semi-serious game against a decent opponent? With all due respect if Kerry or Cork were playing Tipp 15 years ago it would generally be played at a leisurely pace where Cork and Kerry ran out easy victors.

In contrast you can certainly judge Mattie Forde much more on merit, he delivered some massive performances against credible opposition in closely fought games.

Not Browne's fault but there will always be loads of question marks over how good he really was.

Likewise. He was obviously a talented footballer but it's difficult to compare him with regular Croke Park performers, who delivered against the best defences multiple times.

Dessie Dolan surely more deserving of plaudits.

Interesting comment about Jamie Clarke above too. Jamie is more of a Le Tissier than a Shearer. I'd probably have paid in quicker to watch the former, but if you're doing a "the greatest" thread, he's many, many rhngs below the latter.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 24, 2017, 06:39:20 PM
Kieran Cunningham not happy with ye https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/856469282389143552 He has a point.
It must be a slow week for that journalist if he is on gaaboard and is upset by what he read on here.

I got personal did i? you are the king of the weird comments on here oops.. getting personal for no apparent reason again  ;D

Digging your hole even deeper..

Jell 0 Biafra

While one might criticize Connolly for not scoring enough, if you look again at the last 10-15 minutes of the 2011 final, Dublin don't win that without his contribution. 

omaghjoe

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2017, 11:23:56 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 24, 2017, 11:22:24 AM
Larry Tompkins probably  the man hardest done by in this poll, but has a few natural disadvantages
the age profile of voters
75% of poster are not from Munster

the other thing is every Criticism of D Connolly  could also be made of canavan

Larry Tompkins disqualified himself for me when he got sunburned feet the week before a Munster Final.

;D ;D

That's hilarious, sore as f**k tho as I am sure anyone who has suffered will testify

vallankumous

Quote from: BennyCake on April 22, 2017, 11:44:52 AM
Bernard Brogan? Really? Run this poll in 10 years and Brogan wouldn't even be mentioned, never mind make the top 25. Connolly either.

Connolly is the best forward in the best team ever.

BallyroanAbu

A lot of people go on about the effect of mass media on the vote for todays players,  I would also like to mention that sometimes the memories play tricks when this is not available.  For past players we tend to focus on their great games and do very little examination of their bad ones.  It would be like judging Bernard Brogan's whole career on his footballer of the year season.  It truly is an unfair comparison on how you can judge 24/7 analysis of now, against euphoric recall.

seafoid

Quote from: vallankumous on April 25, 2017, 08:13:41 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 22, 2017, 11:44:52 AM
Bernard Brogan? Really? Run this poll in 10 years and Brogan wouldn't even be mentioned, never mind make the top 25. Connolly either.

Connolly is the best forward in the best team ever.
Would you schtop
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

redhandefender

Quote from: Syferus on April 24, 2017, 07:08:34 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 24, 2017, 06:39:20 PM

You are a complete dose fella

Digging your hole even deeper..

Beffs

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 25, 2017, 01:48:00 AM
While one might criticize Connolly for not scoring enough, if you look again at the last 10-15 minutes of the 2011 final, Dublin don't win that without his contribution.

Yeah, but that was 6 years ago and he wasn't the marked man then, that he is now. Point me towards a knock out game, that the Dubs won in the past 2 or 3 years, where he was the most important or influential player on the pitch.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Beffs on April 26, 2017, 06:48:14 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 25, 2017, 01:48:00 AM

Yeah, but that was 6 years ago and he wasn't the marked man then, that he is now. Point me towards a knock out game, that the Dubs won in the past 2 or 3 years, where he was the most important or influential player on the pitch.

National League final showed what happened when his influence was removed from the game and Kerry were able to put Dublin under enough pressure to win.

Zulu

What kind of standard is that? I think that's a ridiculous question. Teams are now set up to take the best players out of the game. Gifted footballers are now more about working hard for the team than displaying wonderful scoring performances. Connolly has been one of the most effective players in Ireland for over 10 years. He is the most complete footballer in Ireland by some distance, it isn't even close IMO.

Since when has a MOM performance in major game become the mark of a truly great player? Connolly has been a great player for Dublin and delivered in many big games. If some people can't see that then you'd have to wonder what they are looking at.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on April 26, 2017, 07:05:56 PM
What kind of standard is that? I think that's a ridiculous question. Teams are now set up to take the best players out of the game. Gifted footballers are now more about working hard for the team than displaying wonderful scoring performances. Connolly has been one of the most effective players in Ireland for over 10 years. He is the most complete footballer in Ireland by some distance, it isn't even close IMO.

Since when has a MOM performance in major game become the mark of a truly great player? Connolly has been a great player for Dublin and delivered in many big games. If some people can't see that then you'd have to wonder what they are looking at.

Since forever.

From the Bunker

My question is how has Connolly performed away from a home venue of Croke Park in the Championship? How does he play in away League semi finals and League finals. Does he find the travelling difficult and staying in Hotels during the Championship. How does he manage to get time off work to get to training? How does he always manage to overturn red cards? How many more times will he say that, that will be the last rush of blood? How many more times does he expect to get a free run in a game? How many times do the Dublin media expect him to get a free run in a game? How many solicitors does he have? How many shrinks does he have? How many times will he be the victim? How many times will he not live up to the hype? How many more people will come on here and say he is the best of his generation? How much longer can I listen to this?