Connacht minor championship

Started by sligoman2, June 22, 2016, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimley

I've been looking at Mayo minor teams for the past three years (including this year). No starting player from Ballina, Crossmolina or Knockmore on any of those teams. What is happening in North Mayo to arrive at this sad state of affairs. When clubs like Kiltimagh and Aughamore are getting starters every year, it seems that something has gone very wrong in the development of young players in traditionally our strongest areas.

Syferus

Don't all start crying at once. Ye've won both a minor and U21 AI in the last three and a half years.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2017, 07:29:14 PM
Don't all start crying at once. Ye've won both a minor and U21 AI in the last three and a half years.

Without speaking for the Mayo lads I imagine they might say that those wins were outliers in the overall trend.

Sometimes these runs can happen though. Towards the end of the 00's I think the Galway minors went 5 years without winning a single game in Connacht. Seems unthinkable now.

joemamas

Quote from: Chimley on April 30, 2017, 07:19:01 PM
I've been looking at Mayo minor teams for the past three years (including this year). No starting player from Ballina, Crossmolina or Knockmore on any of those teams. What is happening in North Mayo to arrive at this sad state of affairs. When clubs like Kiltimagh and Aughamore are getting starters every year, it seems that something has gone very wrong in the development of young players in traditionally our strongest areas.

A bit daft tbh. Mayo have won underage championships with a diverse club participation.

Knockmore have remained very competitive at senior and underage.

Ballina are in Div 2. Probably close to ten years since they won a county senior championship
Crossmolina had a golden era at senior level for probably close to a decade, but that ended around 2004 or thereabouts. Other than that group, Not sure they were ever a powerhouse ar underage level.

Bottom line, I couldn't give a shite what club a player is from. The bigger issue is coaching or the lack thereof.

We have just had a six year period where we have been a top six senior team, which should in normal circumstances breed underage success as most 12-14 year olds would aspire to play underage for Mayo. IMO we have got a poor return from underage in that timeframe, and as mentioned too many times, we have gotten a disastrous return with respect to forwards who can actually kick the ball over the bar from 30+ yards out on a consistent basis.

Is there somebody who is actually responsible for overseeing underage football. If so there should be a meeting called post haste and questions should be asked and answers demanded.

Chimley

Quote from: joemamas on April 30, 2017, 08:20:00 PM

A bit daft tbh. Mayo have won underage championships with a diverse club participation.

Ballina are in Div 2. Probably close to ten years since they won a county senior championship
Crossmolina had a golden era at senior level for probably close to a decade, but that ended around 2004 or thereabouts. Other than that group, Not sure they were ever a powerhouse ar underage level.

Bottom line, I couldn't give a shite what club a player is from. The bigger issue is coaching or the lack thereof.

We have just had a six year period where we have been a top six senior team, which should in normal circumstances breed underage success as most 12-14 year olds would aspire to play underage for Mayo. IMO we have got a poor return from underage in that timeframe, and as mentioned too many times, we have gotten a disastrous return with respect to forwards who can actually kick the ball over the bar from 30+ yards out on a consistent basis.

Is there somebody who is actually responsible for overseeing underage football. If so there should be a meeting called post haste and questions should be asked and answers demanded.

It's not as you say a 'bit daft' to worry how a town like Ballina have fallen to division 2 from being AI club champions not so long ago and no longer able to produce any young players capable of getting on some of the poorest minor teams of the last thirty years. It's something that needs to be explained and analysed. If the county board have the attitude that there's nothing to see here, then that might explain why we're getting beaten so badly on a regular basis.

Are you happy that youth development and coaching is taking place on a consistent level throughout the county, and if so, why are so few players from North Mayo making the county minor teams? You say that you don't care what club a player comes from but if we're being honest, we need towns like Ballina with the population and history of producing great players to start to contribute again.

Avondhu star

Quote from: joemamas on April 30, 2017, 08:20:00 PM

Do managers even want their forwards to attempt kicks at points from 30 yards?
I think they have been coached to keep possession by handbags and don't shoot unlesscertain of a score
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

larryin89

"Do managers even want their forwards to attempt to kick scores from 30yards'

And this is the crux of the problem especially in mayo where it seems to be a complete no go area and goal scoring seems to be completely lost.

You only have to look at the Jason docherty who has completely alienated his natural game to adapt to mayos style . I have no doubt in my mind doc would of scored twice as much if it wasn't for this. And I'm not saying he's still not effective from his present role , I just don't believe we should of sacrificed his more natural talent to pouch and score.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Ballina seem to have got their act together at young underage. Give them a few years they will compete again. If the players stick together that is. Success breeds success though so they have a chance.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

cornetto

Listening to galway radio one of the commentators stated,because of mayo schools involvement in finals,they did not meet collectively until the first week in April, not sure how many players this would have involved.many of the mayo players seemed lost,where as galway seemed to have a better understanding of where to find each player.

Syferus

Quote from: cornetto on May 01, 2017, 10:52:37 AM
Listening to galway radio one of the commentators stated,because of mayo schools involvement in finals,they did not meet collectively until the first week in April, not sure how many players this would have involved.many of the mayo players seemed lost,where as galway seemed to have a better understanding of where to find each player.

We played a Mayo minor team with 12 of the 15 starters yesterday back in early March. Commentators more than likely getting inside info from the management who were making the excuses early for their own fück ups.

cornetto

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2017, 11:13:36 AM
Quote from: cornetto on May 01, 2017, 10:52:37 AM

We played a Mayo minor team with 13 of the 15 starters yesterday back in early March. Commentators more than likely getting inside info from the management who were making the excuses early for their own fück ups.
Well  That's that theory shelved!!

Farrandeelin

Could be true. Only 1 competitive game played by all the players for their clubs since the end of the Connacht MFL.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

galwayman

Yeah the schools players were definitely involved in the Connacht minor league.
The Ballinrobe school players didn't play in the Galway game as their AI final was on the following Saturday.
Then again you would expect management to be trying out lads in the league games anyway.
Certainly Steven Joyce has taken that approach to the league since he took over the reins.

twohands!!!

Quote from: larryin89 on April 30, 2017, 10:56:35 PM

And this is the crux of the problem especially in mayo where it seems to be a complete no go area and goal scoring seems to be completely lost.

You only have to look at the Jason docherty who has completely alienated his natural game to adapt to mayos style . I have no doubt in my mind doc would of scored twice as much if it wasn't for this. And I'm not saying he's still not effective from his present role , I just don't believe we should of sacrificed his more natural talent to pouch and score.

Remember a Kerryman telling me he thought Mayo were completely wasting Doherty in the role they had him playing - he was also of the opinion that he would have been contributing more on the scoring front if used differently - haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion either way but it stuck with me.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 01, 2017, 04:26:36 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 30, 2017, 10:56:35 PM

Remember a Kerryman telling me he thought Mayo were completely wasting Doherty in the role they had him playing - he was also of the opinion that he would have been contributing more on the scoring front if used differently - haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion either way but it stuck with me.

Doherty wasn't even worth starting playing his supposed natural role tbh. His new role has been his saving grace as regards making the Mayo team at all.