John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Syferus

QuoteJames Horan has called time on his four-year tenure as manager of the Mayo senior footballers following the loss to Kerry in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final replay.
After guiding his club, Ballintubber, to a county final appearance, Horan was named as John O'Mahony's successor in October 2010.
O'Mahony's final year in charge saw the Green and Red lose to Sligo in the Connacht championship and to Longford in the qualifiers.
Horan's arrival had an immediate impact as the team regained the provincial title in 2011.That was the first of four Nestor Cups won under his stewardship.
However, All-Ireland success was to remain elusive with defeats to Donegal and Dublin in successive finals.
Hopes were high that Mayo could again reach the September decider this year but they just fell short against the Kingdom in Saturday's pulsating semi-final replay at the Gaelic Grounds.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/0830/640409-horan-steps-down-as-mayo-manager/

Kevin Mc the big name, Enda Gilvarry certainly has a case too.. and you can always count on the Tanned One to make a bullock run after the manager's job too.

orangeman

I'm a bit surprised by this. Horgan has made Mayo very, very consistent and a top team albeit without reaching the Holy grail.

Shrewdness

James Horan has made a huge commitment to Mayo football over the past 4 years and doesn't owe anything to anyone. He has a young family and is entitled to a break....Am i correct in saying that Mayo, Galway and Leitrim are now all without a manager?

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 31, 2014, 12:43:24 AM
James Horan has made a huge commitment to Mayo football over the past 4 years and doesn't owe anything to anyone. He has a young family and is entitled to a break....Am i correct in saying that Mayo, Galway and Leitrim are now all without a manager?

It's nice to be the prepared ones for once, isn't it?

From the Bunker

Yeah, knew he was going this year! Regardless of outcome. Young family, work commitments and social life all neglected the last 4 years. Time to stand back. Done some great work and dismissed some stereo types about Mayo football.

GalwayBayBoy

I imagine he runs a fairly intense set-up which must be both mentally and emotionally draining. Hard to keep that going past 4 years with life getting in the way as well. You have to admit that he's been great for Mayo. Maybe the new man can get them over the line but I think the smart money would have to be on Mayo taking a step back without him. I know he has his critics but I think he's very good at what he does. Mayo will miss him.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 31, 2014, 02:32:25 AM
I imagine he runs a fairly intense set-up which must be both mentally and emotionally draining. Hard to keep that going past 4 years with life getting in the way as well. You have to admit that he's been great for Mayo. Maybe the new man can get them over the line but I think the smart money would have to be on Mayo taking a step back without him. I know he has his critics but I think he's very good at what he does. Mayo will miss him.

Horan has blooded very few new players during his tenure. Especially the last two years. The reason is he had discipline, conditioning and strength built up with this group. He did not really want to integrate new  players more so this year as this was the last throw of the dice and he was not thinking of next year.

Time for a new voice and a few new faces.  Thanks for a massive effort James!

sligoman2

Huge loss to Mayo, he always had his team prepared and put a huge amount of effort into making this a great team.

It's a pity they didn't win an AI but I'm sure he needs to take a break and hopefully will get back into mgmt down the road
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Itchy

He prepared his teams well but have to agree with what Brolly said before yesterdays game, his reaction to what was happening on the pitch was very slow. We saw that yesterday with his failure to do anything different with Donaghy despite knowing Kerry would bombard them with the wind. If he was a bit cuter on the line in his 4 years Mayo might have won the All Ireland.

rrhf

I think that the best team lost. And that the dubs have been handed the all Ireland.  The ref in the game today will be watched with interest.

manfromdelmonte

How much are Mayo in debt?
Wasn't there a big discussion with him last year whether he'd stay on due to resources in the county?
I very much doubt McStay would take it on as he's based in the Curragh

orangeman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 31, 2014, 09:56:55 AM
How much are Mayo in debt?
Wasn't there a big discussion with him last year whether he'd stay on due to resources in the county?
I very much doubt McStay would take it on as he's based in the Curragh

That would be a big expenses bill.

Running a big club team and especially a county team like Mayo must indeed be very mentally and physically draining. It makes you wonder how managers can stay on for an extended without a break.

Syferus

Never got to beat the cap despite two close run matches at the beginning and end of his reign. Not to worry, we might have a vacancy at senior next year and we're big enough to let by-gones be by-gones. Mayo's best manager, maybe of all-time.

Mac2

Horan must be in a dark place this morning after all his unflinching efforts over the last 4 years have come up short. He's had heartbreak too as a player, performing heroically in 96, scoring 5 points from play and still ending up on the losing end, that has to be hard to take. Perhaps a few different decisions or players here and there could have got us over the line, who knows but when you're trying for so long it's extremely difficult to make that breakthrough. Horan got an awful lot right and brought us much needed respectability with a bunch of players that never wilted. The next manager has an unenviable task on his hands, to get them to the same level again is going to be difficult in itself, to get them over the line will herculean.

Rossfan

Inevitable that this was his last year no matter the outcome. He brought them from the depths to being genuine AI contenders.
Probably should have gone last year and let a new man with new ideas who'd bring in new players etc. and freshen them up for another shot at it.
Be nice if Mayowr slip back to where they were before Horan  :-* as finance has to come into play soon or we'll have to get Dont Matter on the job.
Seriously though - a decent manager with some failings no doubt but who now needs to live his own life for a while.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM