Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 04:52:16 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 19, 2018, 02:23:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 19, 2018, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 01:58:21 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 19, 2018, 01:10:04 PM
Most children diagnosed with these abnormalities live beyond birth. Some for months.  However short that life is they deserve it as much as me and you.
It's not up to us to decide who lives or dies. I challenge anyone who believes otherwise to watch a video of an abortion taking place and listen to testimonies from nurses and doctors who worked in abortion clinics and performed abortions themselves about what really happens....

Why should anyone give a flying f**k what the doctor or nurse thinks? It's not their body.

Would you intervene if you saw a woman self-harming or about to jump from a bridge?

If you have one, what's your point?

Tis a simple question.

It is, but one that bears zero relevance to the topic at hand, so I'll refrain from bothering to answer it, although the answer should be obvious.

The point is that in those cases we would intervene and wouldn't put forward the position that it's a woman's body and she can do whatever she likes to it. 

So I'm just saying that the argument that a woman's (or man's) right to do whatever she likes to her body (or variations thereof) is not absolute.  There are societal restrictions.

Syferus

What an incredibly strange equivalence to draw.

AQMP

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2018, 05:11:15 PM
What an incredibly strange equivalence to draw.

Maybe, if it were an equivalence.

gallsman

Quote from: AQMP on January 19, 2018, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 04:52:16 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 19, 2018, 02:23:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 19, 2018, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 01:58:21 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 19, 2018, 01:10:04 PM
Most children diagnosed with these abnormalities live beyond birth. Some for months.  However short that life is they deserve it as much as me and you.
It's not up to us to decide who lives or dies. I challenge anyone who believes otherwise to watch a video of an abortion taking place and listen to testimonies from nurses and doctors who worked in abortion clinics and performed abortions themselves about what really happens....

Why should anyone give a flying f**k what the doctor or nurse thinks? It's not their body.

Would you intervene if you saw a woman self-harming or about to jump from a bridge?

If you have one, what's your point?

Tis a simple question.

It is, but one that bears zero relevance to the topic at hand, so I'll refrain from bothering to answer it, although the answer should be obvious.

The point is that in those cases we would intervene and wouldn't put forward the position that it's a woman's body and she can do whatever she likes to it. 

So I'm just saying that the argument that a woman's (or man's) right to do whatever she likes to her body (or variations thereof) is not absolute.  There are societal restrictions.

Point out the bit where I said she could do whatever she likes to her own body.

I presume you're trying to play some sort of devil's advocate here, but you're making a right mess of it.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 04:56:25 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 19, 2018, 02:29:50 PM
I think its about changing the narrative J70. Forcing a woman....I think with proper counseling and support a woman can carry a baby full term and we would gladly take the child and there's many more who would too.  I have a friend who went on a mission trip to Africa. She was raped by a local man and came home devastated. She decided to put the baby up for adoption.  Having a black child in Belfast 10 years ago for a single woman as a result of rape...but to her credit on seeing the baby she kept her. A lovely girl and relationship they have now too. All the instances don't finish so well but they all start the same. Some light and some goodness can come out of every situation.

The narrative?! Are you f**king kidding?! Someone not wanting to carry a rapist's but having to by law is "a narrative"?

Congrats to your friend, that's great for her. If Mary from Dublin is raped and becomes pregnant as a result, it is none of your f**king business whatsoever to be saying she should carry to term because there's counseling to get her through it.
Are you angry all the time gallsman or just with me. I wasn't commenting about the law specifically  - I was having a respectful discussion with J70 and sharing some personal opinions. Your whole its none of anyone's business its her body stance is very childish...
A decision to kill the baby in her womb isn't a decision about her body - it's a decision about the babies life.  And who are you to interfere either? You're not a woman so if I can't speak for one neither can you....so slither on
A mothers right as a person do not rank higher than my rights or yours or the baby in her wombs rights to life.
The mother can dye her hair purple, never brush her teeth or put makeup on - thats up to her and I'd never tell her to do any different. But if someone wants to take a life then I will speak up.
If she doesn't brush her teeth she deals with the consequences. If she has sex she knows what will happen....93% of abortions are because 2 people had sex and couldn't be bothered...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Quote from: The Iceman on January 19, 2018, 08:19:19 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 04:56:25 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 19, 2018, 02:29:50 PM
I think its about changing the narrative J70. Forcing a woman....I think with proper counseling and support a woman can carry a baby full term and we would gladly take the child and there's many more who would too.  I have a friend who went on a mission trip to Africa. She was raped by a local man and came home devastated. She decided to put the baby up for adoption.  Having a black child in Belfast 10 years ago for a single woman as a result of rape...but to her credit on seeing the baby she kept her. A lovely girl and relationship they have now too. All the instances don't finish so well but they all start the same. Some light and some goodness can come out of every situation.

The narrative?! Are you f**king kidding?! Someone not wanting to carry a rapist's but having to by law is "a narrative"?

Congrats to your friend, that's great for her. If Mary from Dublin is raped and becomes pregnant as a result, it is none of your f**king business whatsoever to be saying she should carry to term because there's counseling to get her through it.
Are you angry all the time gallsman or just with me. I wasn't commenting about the law specifically  - I was having a respectful discussion with J70 and sharing some personal opinions. Your whole its none of anyone's business its her body stance is very childish...
A decision to kill the baby in her womb isn't a decision about her body - it's a decision about the babies life.  And who are you to interfere either? You're not a woman so if I can't speak for one neither can you....so slither on
A mothers right as a person do not rank higher than my rights or yours or the baby in her wombs rights to life.
The mother can dye her hair purple, never brush her teeth or put makeup on - thats up to her and I'd never tell her to do any different. But if someone wants to take a life then I will speak up.
If she doesn't brush her teeth she deals with the consequences. If she has sex she knows what will happen....93% of abortions are because 2 people had sex and couldn't be bothered...

Unless you plan on flying over for the vote you really don't have a voice on this one, though.

Ireland has chosen a path based on reality and compassion on social issues like gay marriage and I fully expect the 8th amendment to be repealed in a similarly forward-facing manner. What replaces it is the question.

gallsman

Tell me more about this narrative. Whose narrative is it? The media's? Feminists'? Anti-Catholics?

QuoteA mothers right as a person do not rank higher than my rights or yours or the baby in her wombs rights to life.

We'll see about that in the long run. I'm sure if one of your kids is ever impregnated through rape, you'll be all moral about it and telling her about its rights and that she shouldn't think of an option such as abortion because she can chat to a counsellor who'll tell her it'll all be fine. After all, you know someone else this happened to, so why should it be different for anyone else?

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
Tell me more about this narrative. Whose narrative is it? The media's? Feminists'? Anti-Catholics?

QuoteA mothers right as a person do not rank higher than my rights or yours or the baby in her wombs rights to life.

We'll see about that in the long run. I'm sure if one of your kids is ever impregnated through rape, you'll be all moral about it and telling her about its rights and that she shouldn't think of an option such as abortion because she can chat to a counsellor who'll tell her it'll all be fine. After all, you know someone else this happened to, so why should it be different for anyone else?
It's all about your response isn't it? Life isn't about what happens to us but how we respond.  Luckily this young girl was responded to with love and affection and hope - some things you seem incapable of. I'm growing tired of your vendetta  - at least have the balls to explain it - I've offered you the opportunity to message me many times and you haven't
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

There it is, to disagree with your arch conservative, chauvinistic, discussing views is to "have a vendetta". "Life isn't what happens to us but how we respond"?? What bullshit Christianity by numbers self help book did you pull that from. Take that attitude to a hundred rape victims and see how long you last before they pull you limb from limb. Don't worry about the fact you were raped poor girl, you have the chance to respond to this really well and become a better person! The sheer f**king arrogance of you is breathtaking.

And finally, will you please at least explain what this "narrative" you claim is at play here.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 09:16:33 PM
There it is, to disagree with your arch conservative, chauvinistic, discussing views is to "have a vendetta". "Life isn't what happens to us but how we respond"?? What bullshit Christianity by numbers self help book did you pull that from. Take that attitude to a hundred rape victims and see how long you last before they pull you limb from limb. Don't worry about the fact you were raped poor girl, you have the chance to respond to this really well and become a better person! The sheer f**king arrogance of you is breathtaking.

And finally, will you please at least explain what this "narrative" you claim is at play here.
the narrative was the language j70 used "force a woman" I said you could change that narrative that language and make it something different - along the lines of how we respond to things....just like you are now...you may not like my posts - many don't...but your response is always one of anger, disdain and insult and others choose to be respectful and disagree without insult or anger

gallsman

See you think you're being respectful but you're actually a condescending, patronising, arrogant gobshite who thinks his views and morals should matter more than what's going on in someone's life. Shove your holier than thou attitude up your hypocritical arse.

Thankfully the world is moving on and the likes of you and Fearon and your oppressive, intrusive views are increasingly in the minority. The eighth amendment will be repealed and there won't be a thing you can do about it.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 09:45:08 PM
See you think you're being respectful but you're actually a condescending, patronising, arrogant gobshite who thinks his views and morals should matter more than what's going on in someone's life. Shove your holier than thou attitude up your hypocritical arse.

Thankfully the world is moving on and the likes of you and Fearon and your oppressive, intrusive views are increasingly in the minority. The eighth amendment will be repealed and there won't be a thing you can do about it.
you see what you want to see gallsman...I don't need your respect, praise, admiration or otherwise.  I don't really give two flyers what you think about me.
Buenas Suerte

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gabriel_Hurl

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0129/936910-eighth-amendment-cabinet-referendum/

QuoteThe Cabinet has given formal approval to the holding of a referendum on the Eighth Amendment.

Speaking at a press conference following a special Cabinet meeting, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said that the referendum will ask citizens whether they want to retain the Eighth Amendment of the constitution, or repeal it and replace it with an enabling provision that gives responsibility for legislating on abortion laws to the Dáil.

Minister for Health Simon Harris has also been given permission to draft a bill that will be introduced into the Oireachtas if the referendum is passed.

The Government will begin drafting legislation in line with recommendations made by the all-party Oireachtas committee last month, which said that the Eighth Amendment should be repealed.

It also proposed that terminations without restriction should be allowed for up to 12 weeks.

Mr Varadkar told the conference that the Cabinet approved a referendum at the end of May.

He said: "We have abortion in Ireland but it is unsafe, unregulated and unlawful, and in my opinion we cannot export our problems and import our solutions."

He said that he would support legislation to allow for a doctor-led service that would allow abortions in Ireland up to 12 weeks.

omaghjoe

The whole thing is very complex from a moral stand point with lots of different scenarios that could sway you one way or the other. These scenarios will be the exception tho and on demand abortions will take up the vast majority of cases, so at the end of the day I think that's what ones decision would have to be based on.

I'm rather perplexed at the rationale being trotted out in favour of the 12weeks on demand.

Seems to amount to...

"well...., it is illegal but it happens anyway so we should legalize it"