FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

You say you are not defending Prenty mcdanger and then you proceed to defend him, sounds a like a bit of prentyism. ::)

macdanger2

Did I? Maybe you should read my post again cos I could have sworn I said that if both counties wanted Sunday to be the final then that should be it.

However, I don't see much difference between the FBD games in January and an additional one in February, they surely all serve the same purpose of giving game time to fringe players.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 18, 2018, 10:25:41 PM
Did I? Maybe you should read my post again cos I could have sworn I said that if both counties wanted Sunday to be the final then that should be it.

However, I don't see much difference between the FBD games in January and an additional one in February, they surely all serve the same purpose of giving game time to fringe players.

This pointless match on Sunday clashes directly with the Inter AISF where three or four panel members are playing. Management will have to split up to scout that game, while Prenty has also prevented the county players from going to support their teammates because he must genuflect to his one true god, the almighty dollar.

Even if he refused to make it the final why didn't he move the game to avoid a clash? You can't defend any part of this one, Mac.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on January 18, 2018, 10:37:40 PM

This pointless match on Sunday clashes directly with the Inter AISF where three or four panel members are playing. Management will have to split up to scout that game, while Prenty has also prevented the county players from going to support their teammates because he must genuflect to his one true god, the almighty dollar.

Even if he refused to make it the final why didn't he move the game to avoid a clash? You can't defend any part of this one, Mac.

Any clashes would have been known about well in advance and should have been easy to avoid. I haven't defended any of this regardless of how many rossies may claim I have!! As someone else said, Prenty seems to have a stereotypical gaa administrator attitude - the match you referred to where the chairman died but the match wasn't moved being a case in point.

My original (and still my only)  point is that the extra match would serve the same purpose as all previous FBD games.

Anyway, it's too early in the year to get sucked into pointless arguments so I'll leave it at that.

galwayman

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 18, 2018, 10:49:11 PM

Any clashes would have been known about well in advance and should have been easy to avoid. I haven't defended any of this regardless of how many rossies may claim I have!! As someone else said, Prenty seems to have a stereotypical gaa administrator attitude - the match you referred to where the chairman died but the match wasn't moved being a case in point.

My original (and still my only)  point is that the extra match would serve the same purpose as all previous FBD games.

Anyway, it's too early in the year to get sucked into pointless arguments so I'll leave it at that.
I imagine both teams will field weak teams in the final and rest a lot of the main lads for the league games.
I know in the past the Galway management have had to cut the panel before the national league starts (after in theory having had the full FBD league to try out fringe/up and coming guys).

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 18, 2018, 10:49:11 PM

Even if he refused to make it the final why didn’t he move the game to avoid a clash? You can’t defend any part of this one, Mac.

you don't like pointless arguments!  what the hell are you doing on the Gaaboard then?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 18, 2018, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 18, 2018, 02:26:56 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 18, 2018, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 18, 2018, 12:28:28 PM
Prenty has a nice line in that peculiar strain of arrogance that runs through GAA officialdom.

QuoteConnacht Council CEO John Prenty has defended the decision to go ahead with Sunday's FBD dead rubber fixture between Galway and Roscommon at Tuam Stadium.

With both teams having already advanced to the competition's final, there has been rife criticism over this weekend's meeting going ahead but Mr Prenty has backed the Council's choice, stating: "you have to respect the integrity of the competition (and) can't be moving the goalposts mid-season."

"We've had several people telling us how to run the fixtures," Mr Prenty is quoted saying by The Irish Times.

"But last year, in the last round of the Allianz Football League, Galway played Kildare in a dead rubber, then played each other again in the final. No one said that should be called off.

"Roscommon are playing Cork in the last round of the league this year, and could meet each other again in the final. Will they call that off? And Galway and Roscommon have all used about three different teams, each week, so I'm sure they can find 15 players for Sunday."

He doesn't even have the basic facts straight, as the 2017 round 7 Division Two match he references wasn't even a dead rubber, if Galway had not won that match then Meath would have advanced to the final against Kildare. Given the palpable relief both on the pitch and in the stands when Galway finally fell over the line, it was far from a dead rubber.
Given that Munster made the final round adjustments to their pre season competitions, Prenty can't even say that there's no existing precedent for the type of change that both Galway and Roscommon want made for the match this Sunday.

Prenty is a slieveen of the highest order. Turns up on Connacht final day with an old tattered anorak, looking like something pulled through a hedge.
Does beg the question, at what point will term limits be applied to Provincial Secretaries? Prenty's been there since the mid-90's, Frank might get no shortage of stick in Cork but he's far from alone in having a tight grip of control on his relevant board's goings-on through sheer longevity.

I've no issue whatsoever with paid officials....in fact the opposite - we really need them in order to run things correctly and professionally. It's just too big to be done by part time volunteers any more. However, what I think it questionable is a paid official having such a powerful role in terms of influencing policy and practices. Anyone else has to face re-election so if they're doing a crap job they'll get turfed out (theoretically at least). I think the balance is not right.

giveballaghback

You are spot on there magpie seanie.

Cunny Funt

Sligo v Mayo game now switched to Enniscrone

Sligo team.

Aidan Devaney
Mickey Gordon
Luke Nicholson
Eddie McGuinness
Keelan Cawley
Darragh Cummins
Gerard O'Kelly Lynch
James Clarke
Paul Kilcoyne
Neil Ewing
Finnian Cawley
Adrian Marren
Stephen Coen
Pat Hughes
Kyle Cawley

sligoman2

I was Home last weekend and played golf in Enniscrone on Friday.  Wind was at least 45 mph.  Enniscrone is very windy in January but the pitch might be drier than inland alternatives.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

sligoman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 19, 2018, 05:26:42 PM

Sligo team.

Aidan Devaney
Mickey Gordon
Luke Nicholson
Eddie McGuinness
Keelan Cawley
Darragh Cummins
Gerard O'Kelly Lynch
James Clarke
Paul Kilcoyne
Neil Ewing
Finnian Cawley
Adrian Marren
Stephen Coen
Pat Hughes
Kyle Cawley

We seem to be dealing with a pretty small squad right now, more or less the same team for the majority of the FBD. A few of the older guys like Donovan, Harrison and Egan will come in later on in the season and a few other key players like Muphy and McDonnell will also come in but it looks like we will have a very fresh and revamped squad last year.

Clarke has been around the squad for years now, he looks like he will start the league campaign, I would have thought we have better midfield options in the county but he has a big chance now.

Our defence will be very inexperienced and I think we'll be doing well to survive the league.

What's the story with Cian Breheny? Injured?

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman on January 19, 2018, 08:32:57 PM

Sligo team.

Aidan Devaney
Mickey Gordon
Luke Nicholson
Eddie McGuinness
Keelan Cawley
Darragh Cummins
Gerard O'Kelly Lynch
James Clarke
Paul Kilcoyne
Neil Ewing
Finnian Cawley
Adrian Marren
Stephen Coen
Pat Hughes
Kyle Cawley

We seem to be dealing with a pretty small squad right now, more or less the same team for the majority of the FBD. A few of the older guys like Donovan, Harrison and Egan will come in later on in the season and a few other key players like Muphy and McDonnell will also come in but it looks like we will have a very fresh and revamped squad last year.

Clarke has been around the squad for years now, he looks like he will start the league campaign, I would have thought we have better midfield options in the county but he has a big chance now.

Our defence will be very inexperienced and I think we'll be doing well to survive the league.

Has Ross Donovan unretired for a second time? I think he's a great back but this is some Rocky Balboa shít at this stage.

sligoman

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2018, 08:36:08 PM

Sligo team.

Aidan Devaney
Mickey Gordon
Luke Nicholson
Eddie McGuinness
Keelan Cawley
Darragh Cummins
Gerard O'Kelly Lynch
James Clarke
Paul Kilcoyne
Neil Ewing
Finnian Cawley
Adrian Marren
Stephen Coen
Pat Hughes
Kyle Cawley

Has Ross Donovan unretired for a second time? I think he's a great back but this is some Rocky Balboa shít at this stage.

On board for another year according to comments from Corey a couple of weeks back.

Cunny Funt

Roscommon team for Sunday. How many of that team will start their round 1 NFL game v Meath on Jan 28th?

1.James Fetherstone
2.Peter Domican
3.John McManus
4.Sean Mullooly
5.Ronan Daly
6.Fergal Lennon
7.Conor Devaney
8.Tadhg O'Rourke
9.Hubert Darcy
10.Finbar Cregg
11.Niall Kilroy
12.Enda Smith
13.Donie Smith
14.Fintan Cregg
15.Cathal Cregg

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman on January 19, 2018, 08:40:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2018, 08:36:08 PM

Sligo team.

Aidan Devaney
Mickey Gordon
Luke Nicholson
Eddie McGuinness
Keelan Cawley
Darragh Cummins
Gerard O'Kelly Lynch
James Clarke
Paul Kilcoyne
Neil Ewing
Finnian Cawley
Adrian Marren
Stephen Coen
Pat Hughes
Kyle Cawley

On board for another year according to comments from Corey a couple of weeks back.

He didn't play for one year I think. No need to over exaggerate.