The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 04:47:01 PM
They expected 450,000+ visitors.

That would be great. And - newsflash - they all wouldn't have to stay in Dublin. I know that's not the usual way we do things but hey.

AQMP

Quote from: longballin on November 15, 2017, 04:42:02 PM
1979 million people went to Phoenix Park to see the Pope, half a million to Galway, hundreds of thousands to Cork and Dundalk all in a few days and was managed ok... it would have been sorted... but not to be so let's get over it   8)

Some crowd alright.  I was in Galway myself, there were only 712 million there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2017, 04:52:15 PM
Great time for English Rugby, as for the Welsh, it's why I love beating them. Have always been about 'me'.

I think we would have hosted a fine tournament but GAA stadia aren't rugby stadia and the atmosphere would have suffered.

Not too disappointed and on the plus side it might take stop that arsehole Ewan MacKenna from popping up on my twitter feed. Christ I doubt even his mother loves him.

Ha ha ha ha

As for the English Rugby, couldn't agree more. The best craic in Thomond Park is when the English clubs come over. Great nights with Gloucester, Saracens and even Leicester fans. The Welsh are painful. I think they resent the fact that Ireland has suddenly decided to take more of an interest in 'their' game. And they hate it, and us.

Rossfan

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 15, 2017, 01:11:05 PM
France win no-one saw that coming. Just kind of kicks us in the teeth after last nights humiliation
Thank God.
I won't have to leave the country for 8 or 9 months in 2023.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

longballin

Great time for English Rugby, as for the Welsh, it's why I love beating them. Have always been about 'me'.

I think we would have hosted a fine tournament but GAA stadia aren't rugby stadia and the atmosphere would have suffered.

Not too disappointed and on the plus side it might take stop that arsehole Ewan MacKenna from popping up on my twitter feed. Christ I doubt even his mother loves him.

you are so right on McKenna   such a dose  :-[

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 05:00:16 PM

Ha ha ha ha

As for the English Rugby, couldn't agree more. The best craic in Thomond Park is when the English clubs come over. Great nights with Gloucester, Saracens and even Leicester fans. The Welsh are painful. I think they resent the fact that Ireland has suddenly decided to take more of an interest in 'their' game. And they hate it, and us.

Spot on about the half English Welsh. It would have killed them if we got to host the WC alone. Scots too. Shame on them.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 05:00:16 PM

Ha ha ha ha

A Welsh friend commented to me that he disliked Irish rugby fans as they were "insufferable twats".

Gmac

if each viisitor spends an average of 2k what a boost to the economy it would have been.
Ireland is a very small country easy to get around

Syferus

Quote from: Gmac on November 15, 2017, 06:17:03 PM
if each viisitor spends an average of 2k what a boost to the economy it would have been.

You're fooling yourself thinking this was anything close to a cash cow. The money we needed to host it was massive.

Gmac

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 06:36:51 PM

You're fooling yourself thinking this was anything close to a cash cow. The money we needed to host it was massive.
whatever about the tournament itself would showcasing the country to hundreds of millions of people on tv not be worth hundreds of millions of free advertising.

Avondhu star

Have you tried to get from Letterkenny to Tralee?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Gmac

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 06:53:43 PM
bus to Dublin train to Tralee

Maroon Manc

Would ticket sales have covered the cost of the fee required to host the world cup?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gmac on November 15, 2017, 07:01:09 PM
And 10 hours after you set off you'd reach your destination. What's that - average of 50km/hr?

Gmac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 15, 2017, 08:37:45 PM
Quote from: Gmac on November 15, 2017, 07:01:09 PM
And 10 hours after you set off you'd reach your destination. What's that - average of 50km/hr?
was there going to be games in Tralee and letterkenny featuring the same teams ? If not what's ur point.