Provincial and All Ireland Club championships 2016/17

Started by Dave like the tv channel, October 24, 2016, 01:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix

Mooncoin will be big favourites for junior hurling. Won Kilkenny convincingly and Leinster winners coming from Kilkenny nearly 12 out of 14 years.  Something like that!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on November 07, 2016, 09:36:35 PM
Has a club ever won a provincial hurling and football title?

Finbarrs did it alright. Once in the same year.....(1980/81). JBM was the star back then.

St Johns (Antrim) won both 73/74 and 77/78. Slaughtneil (Derry) won football in 2013/14 and the hurling title this year.

Portlaoise competed in both finals in one year,iirc, winning the football. Loughmore-Castleiney (Tipp) have won the hurling and competed in the football final, while UCD did it the other way around.

Don Draper

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on November 08, 2016, 08:54:35 AM
Quote from: Butch Cassidy on November 07, 2016, 09:36:35 PM
Has a club ever won a provincial hurling and football title?

Finbarrs did it alright. Once in the same year.....(1980/81). JBM was the star back then.

St Johns (Antrim) won both 73/74 and 77/78. Slaughtneil (Derry) won football in 2013/14 and the hurling title this year.

Portlaoise competed in both finals in one year,iirc, winning the football. Loughmore-Castleiney (Tipp) have won the hurling and competed in the football final, while UCD did it the other way around.
Portlaoise lost the hurling to Rathnure by a point in 87, beat Parnells in the football after a replay. Shame, that hurling team deserved a Leinster at least.

Slaughtneil are an amazing Club, they could realistically do the Hurling and Football this year. And don't think the hurling is easy because its Ulster, Ulster Club isn't simple.

les Antiques

I remember that day Don , down in Nowlan Park . Should have won that day . Beat Rynaghs in the Semis in town and there was a Leinster in that team . I vaguely recall Rathnure getting hammered in the All Ireland Semi by Athenry which made it even more frustrating .

Dave like the tv channel

Portlaoise have played the most senior club matches (province and All Ireland) of any club in the country.

the sash

Rathnure,what a club they were. Village outside of enniscorthy . Have won d most wexford hurling championships n home to d famous rackards and quigleys

les Antiques

Great club but have not won a county title in over 10 years which is a famine for them .

The Rover

Joeythelips

Its some achievement for Rosenallis, and its nice to see people at any club have their hard work payoff.

Its not long ago they seemed like a bit of a joke considering their history and the teams and great players they had in the 90's when they reached senior at both codes. Their pitch was one of the worst in the county and the club seemed to be going no where fast. I may be incorrect here but I think Mark & Paul Dunne would have been eligible to play for Rosenallis but played with The Rock (both played senior with Laois), also John O Loughlin grew up a stones throw from Rosenallis but chose to play with Mountmellick (again a senior intercounty footballer).

But the people of Rosenallis did not moan or whinge, instead they got to work developing new club facilities and underage structures of which they are now reaping the benefits and it is great to see it. They also set a great example for other small clubs, hard work does not guarantee success but lack of it guarantees failure.

http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/rosenallis-are-full-bloom/

redsetanta

A fantastic story and regardless of how they get on it's been a year to remember for them. Long may it continue.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Just a pity the Rosenallis game is clashing with the u21 football final I'd like to go to both!
LAOIS ABÚ

Don Draper

Quote from: Joeythelips on November 16, 2016, 11:30:58 AM
Its some achievement for Rosenallis, and its nice to see people at any club have their hard work payoff.

Its not long ago they seemed like a bit of a joke considering their history and the teams and great players they had in the 90's when they reached senior at both codes. Their pitch was one of the worst in the county and the club seemed to be going no where fast. I may be incorrect here but I think Mark & Paul Dunne would have been eligible to play for Rosenallis but played with The Rock (both played senior with Laois), also John O Loughlin grew up a stones throw from Rosenallis but chose to play with Mountmellick (again a senior intercounty footballer).

But the people of Rosenallis did not moan or whinge, instead they got to work developing new club facilities and underage structures of which they are now reaping the benefits and it is great to see it. They also set a great example for other small clubs, hard work does not guarantee success but lack of it guarantees failure.

http://www.gaa.ie/football/news/rosenallis-are-full-bloom/
Thats a great piece. Huge credit to Rosenallis, they should be immensely proud of themselves and how they have conducted their affairs over the past 15 years or so especially. A lot of clubs could learn from them.

From the Terrace

Having U21 football final at same time as our only laois football team left in provincial action is a pure example of how brain dead our county board are.

The Rover

Great win for Rosenallis in beating the Offaly champions in Tullamore.
To beat the Offaly champions in the Leinster Final in O'Connor park was a great achievement and a proud Day for Laois Football. Well done to all involved.

High Fielder

Congratulations to Rosenalis. I'm very proud as a Laois man of their achievement. They have some very nice footballers amongst their panel.

It was an insult to Laois people to have the Under 21 final on the same day. I heard in Rathneska today that the Under 21 final would have been played in O'Moore Park if Stradbally had qualified. The same person told me that the Kingstons are going to St Josephs. I know there are some transfer junkies amongst us that like all these meaningless rumours.