Interested in joining a GAA Club in Dublin?

Started by Porterbelly, February 14, 2007, 02:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 06, 2007, 03:50:16 PM
QuoteWell if it wasn't for spotting a similar type "ad" on the Hoganstand a couple of years ago I'd be sitting in tomorrow night watching the Champions League or out playing 5 aside soccer. Have aspirations to pick up the small ball as well during the summer so wind ur neck in there a bit.

As you may work out from the title of this website (though with you having to read an ad to let you know that there are GAA clubs for you to play with I'm not taking this for granted) that this is a discussion board. i'm entitled to my opinion and will not wind my neck in for you or anyone.

No one says ur not entitled to ur opinion but what kind of a day are people having to be posting this rubbish
QuoteThese type of ads annoy the f**k out of me.
U'd be surprised the amount of people living in Dublin who've drifted away from playing the game and a friendly post does no harm. You claim ur worried about rugby and soccer gaining the hearts of our young yet when an "ad" appears encouraging Junior footballers to join up to a friendly club... Anyways, Romeo sums up the rest of my point, no point regurgitating.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 06, 2007, 03:00:13 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 06, 2007, 02:47:42 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 06, 2007, 01:54:43 PM
These type of ads annoy the f**k out of me.
Agreed. I refuse to publish any who sign our club "guestbook" who advertise. Any club that repeatedly posts will see their ISP getting a spam abuse report too.

I would never be looking to take players from another club, this type of football is for lads who would otherwise not be playing football and live in a reasonable locality of crumlin, portabello wherever. But the nature of these clubs is that they lose players every year to lads going travelling or moving jobs. I've been involved with james for the last 8 years but have missed 4 summers thru working in belfast, mayo and travelling.
There is not one member of our team who wowuld be prepared to travel home for matches and so instead just wouldn't be playing
My beef is more with clubs outside Ireland, particularly America, London and Australia who always seem to plaster message boards (especially Hoganstand.com) and guestbooks of GAA clubs at home with promotional messages promising jobs etc. some of whom are thinly veiled at attracting home players for the summer especially in America. Most lads and lassies who go away from home for work, travel etc. usually follow paths through their friends or family and would have links to overseas clubs already. How the hell did they all survive before the Internet?

magpie seanie

Like Fionntamhnach I am more annoyed by the "outside the country" ones but as someone involved in a club who tries to field as many adult teams as possible I'm not a fan of clubs trying to poach guys off clubs like mine in this manner.

full back

Jaysus Seanie, they are not trying to poach them
As already pointed out they are providing a club for young lads that are now living in Dublin & WONT be travelling back to their home club to play when there

magpie seanie

So lads that are travelling back would be turned away. Sorry, my mistake.

full back

INDIANA

the dublin club scene is rotten to the core with outside players being paid.others then dress it up like rory gallagher was the club coach with Brigids (that business degree from sligo IT must have come in handy there). People cry where's the proof- you're not going to find any proof to things that are never written down. Managers as well- i'd say the dublin club scene is the most lucrative now in this regard- even going back a few years where a certain manager got an entire extension onto the back of this house for winning the county championship-god's knows what they're getting now.
All for what- for outside players to play a few games a year because of their county commitments- invariably most of the blow ins are pure shite because most of them don't give a monkeys and also they don't have any time to bed into the team- there are every few success stories of these superstars actually making an impact in the club championship.

full back

Fair point Indiana-but the reason for this thread wasnt really to attract County stars, more lads who were not going to travel home to play with their clubs while living in Dublin & lads who are only playing for a bit of craic

ludermor

Rory Gallagher has a full time job and it has nothing to do with Brigids.

Mayo4Sam

When he went down first he was training in bridgets
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 07, 2007, 01:55:35 PM
When he went down first he was training in bridgets

what the feck has that got to do with anything.
I know he was offered money to join another club and didnt.

that you were told something by a guy giving you a lift down to dublin proves he was either taking the mick, or over emphasising what the situation was - either way, I'd say you were told in confidence, but obv that didnt matter a damn to you...

Mayo4Sam

I didn't consider the conversation a confidential one, & i doubt raymie did either

My point was that rory got a job training in brodgets when he initially moved to dublin & raymie got a job in the bank, neither are state secrets, common knowledge

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 07, 2007, 02:48:30 PM
I didn't consider the conversation a confidential one, & i doubt raymie did either

My point was that rory got a job training in brodgets when he initially moved to dublin & raymie got a job in the bank, neither are state secrets, common knowledge

...and the 'bank job' can be attributed to St. Brigids intervention how? (as you implied it did)

Mayo4Sam

I did more than imply it did.
There are footballers up and downt he country who have got bank jobs from their involvement in gaa teams, organised by clubs, it makes good sense for the banks

Ur comment
QuoteI also happen to know what they were working at...and nothing to do with St Brigids...
knew them before they joined the club.

is at the very best only half true, rory's job was witht he club & i believe that raymies came from the club, you dont believe that, your choice

And i dont appreciate being called ignorant or you questioning my integrity just because you disagree with my POV

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 07, 2007, 03:28:02 PM
I did more than imply it did.
There are footballers up and downt he country who have got bank jobs from their involvement in gaa teams, organised by clubs, it makes good sense for the banks

Ur comment
QuoteI also happen to know what they were working at...and nothing to do with St Brigids...
knew them before they joined the club.

is at the very best only half true, rory's job was witht he club & i believe that raymies came from the club, you dont believe that, your choice

And i dont appreciate being called ignorant or you questioning my integrity just because you disagree with my POV

yep - its your pov not fact..that you imply or (worse) insist that it is truth then you are what you are...