FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Would love to see Walsh nail down that corner back position over the coming months, himself and Boyle would be some combination of quality and guts down that right side. Would also free up Higgins for a more advanced roll....

Syferus

I guess Horan is saving Higgins for a glorious homecoming on Sunday. Good to see Keith Rodgers getting some game-time too.

spuds

Mayo 2 14 G MIT 0 6

Alan Freeman (0:06)
Chris Barret (0:01)
Lee Keegan (0:03)
Conor O'Shea (1:01)
James Shaughnessy (0:01)
Barry Moran (0:01)
Richie Feeney (1:01)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rossfan

Who will you be supporting on Sunday Syf?
Your own or your favourite team?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on January 16, 2013, 09:23:13 PM
Who will you be supporting on Sunday Syf?
Your own or your favourite team?

I was born in Portiuncula, you know.

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sans pessimism

Quote from: ballinaman on January 16, 2013, 06:59:38 PM
Would love to see Walsh nail down that corner back position over the coming months, himself and Boyle would be some combination of quality and guts down that right side. Would also free up Higgins for a more advanced roll....
would that be sausage,breakfast or swiss ballinaman  ;)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Tubberman

Mayo and Ros teams named for tomorrow:

Mayo: Clarke, Cafferkey, McHale, Rogers, Higgins, Vaughan, Barrett, A.OShea, S.OShea, McLouglin, Feeney, Keegan, Murphy, Freeman, Doherty

Ros: Claffey;Collins;Carty;C Daly;Ward;N Daly;McKeague;Finneran;Hoey;Dineen;F Cregg;C Cregg;Smith;Higgins;Devaney

Interesting to see how Feeney and Keegan get on in the  half forward line against better opposition than GMIT provided. Murphy starting as well, his year was ended by injury before it even began last year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

maigheo

Tubberman

A draw in Ballyhaunis. Ros 1-07 0-10 Mayo
Two late frees from Alan Murphy to level it. It won't be getting anyone too excited anyway, but I get the impression the Mayo lads are behind a lot of others in their preperation this year
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

A game we could/should have won but i guess playing Mayo away with around 10 of their All Ireland final team starting is a decent result. Will be interesting to see how many of todays lineup will start v Sligo in a few weeks the likes of Brogan,two Dalys,Keane and Smith will give Evans plenty of selection headaches. Donal Shine going off injured for a 2nd game in a row is a worry.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Ref really manufactured a draw for Mayo with late fees and an apathy to clear Ros frees particularly in the final 15. Paddy Brogan - who started - would be my MotM, tough, smart and completely at home against All-Ireland level opposition. Kevin Higgins was impressive in his workrate and vision while Donie Smith showed his potential in the limited chances he got. David Hoey made an impressive cameo late on too. Hard to really pick out a weak link because everyone seemed engaged and working hard, particularly the HB, MF and HF lines in controlling so much procession, a complete reversal of recent trends.

For Mayo Donal Vaughan drove them from the half-back line. The O'Sheas were very effective in limited attacking opportunities. Mayo's free-taking is totally dependant on Cillian O'Connor so they need him to remain healthy or they will go back to the liabilities they were from placed balls before he arrived and were again today.

Very enjoyable and tough game where our defensive unity and midfield dominance was undone somewhat by poor free taking and narrow attacks that rarely offered cross field balls to spread the Mayo backs out. Evans has a great set of lungs on him and it's easy to see why he's regarded as such a good motivator. A good overall performance by us and we can look towards the Sligo game with some optimism.

Donie Shine made a surprise start but was off after 20 with a pulled hamstring again. It's likely nothing serious but I'd wonder should he have featured at all with an injury the previous week and the NFL starting in only two weeks.

sligoman2

A real battle of the titans in the final. I assume its next week - anyone know the place and time?
Good win today over Galway they only scored 2 pts in the second half - the wind in enniscrone can be fierce
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on January 20, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
A real battle of the titans in the final. I assume its next week - anyone know the place and time?
Good win today over Galway they only scored 2 pts in the second half - the wind in enniscrone can be fierce

Heard mention of Ballyhaunis, don't know if that would mean the Centre of Excellence or Bally GAA's ground. There was FBD games in both today. Not much happens on Sunday afternoons so I might pop along if it's so local, particularly if it gives me an excuse to have a better look at the Ten Million Euro Palace.  Call it a scouting trip.  ;)