Sinead O'Connor RIP

Started by From the Bunker, July 26, 2023, 08:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

She offered so many original, both heart rending and joyous, versions of trad Irish folk and trad folk songs, some she took to other dimensions.
This one with a silent Christy Moore  is one of my favorites,  Ewan McColl's "The first time ever I saw your face"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6-xkorx9Ck&list=RDk6-xkorx9Ck&start_radio=1

theskull1

An artist I wouldn't have been drawn to but on hearing of her passing I put a spotify playlist on and real enjoyed the listen. The girl was talented and authentic if not everyone's cup of tea. RIP
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Rudi

mouview

Quote from: ardtole on July 27, 2023, 04:22:01 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
RIP Sinead,  Shuhada Sadaqat or whatever, the silken voice with the power of a cruise missile, unafraid to tackle the most despicable of subjects even when it would have been a lot easier to shy away from them like the rest of us in the herd for the easier life.

A true Irish legend whose legacy will stand the test of time and not truly appreciated during her own short lifespan...

I'd agree with everything there. She was fearless and sacrificed her career to an extent, for what she believed in. Ridiculed mercilessly at the time, but ultimately proved to be right.

Was she fearless or just ultimately a bit of a nuisance? Did she actually achieve anything by all this soapbox invective? It's quite easy to just speak out about whatever topic is du jour when you have the media platform to do it, but concrete actions are much harder to push through. Unfortunately I think Sinead went down that road so often that the general public just got a bit fed up and pressed the Ignore button for a finish.

ardtole

She exposed the Catholic Church and their cover up of child abuse long before it was the topic of the day. As a nation we turned our back on her, she was brave, fearless and probably paid a heavy price with her own mental health in the long term.

I think for anyone to suggest that Sinead O'Connor was  a jump on the bandwagon type celebrity, like premiership footballers taking a token gesture knee is beyond insulting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mouview on July 28, 2023, 10:32:37 AM
Quote from: ardtole on July 27, 2023, 04:22:01 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
RIP Sinead,  Shuhada Sadaqat or whatever, the silken voice with the power of a cruise missile, unafraid to tackle the most despicable of subjects even when it would have been a lot easier to shy away from them like the rest of us in the herd for the easier life.

A true Irish legend whose legacy will stand the test of time and not truly appreciated during her own short lifespan...

I'd agree with everything there. She was fearless and sacrificed her career to an extent, for what she believed in. Ridiculed mercilessly at the time, but ultimately proved to be right.

Was she fearless or just ultimately a bit of a nuisance? Did she actually achieve anything by all this soapbox invective? It's quite easy to just speak out about whatever topic is du jour when you have the media platform to do it, but concrete actions are much harder to push through. Unfortunately I think Sinead went down that road so often that the general public just got a bit fed up and pressed the Ignore button for a finish.

Did you hit the ignore button on the abuse of children by the church?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 28, 2023, 11:34:42 AM
If he did, he wasn't on his own. She didn't get a lot of support when she was calling this out.

She had a platform to do that, was it wise from a professional view point regarding your future? No, but at least she had the conviction to do it

Calling out child abuse carried out by priests in Ireland in the early 90's was never going to make you popular, this is the same set up that imprisoned over 10,000 women (slavery, funded by the state too) in the  Magdalene Laundries up to 1996, that was another ignore button pressed by many.

To be fair to her, the ripping up of the picture of the pope generated more talk about the possibilities that it was happening at a grand scale and being covered up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: ardtole It waslink=topic=32147.msg2219608#msg2219608 date=1690537189
She exposed the Catholic Church and their cover up of child abuse long before it was the topic of the day. As a nation we turned our back on her, she was brave, fearless and probably paid a heavy price with her own mental health in the long term.

I think for anyone to suggest that Sinead O'Connor was  a jump on the bandwagon type celebrity, like premiership footballers taking a token gesture knee is beyond insulting.

seafoid

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 28, 2023, 11:34:42 AM
If he did, he wasn't on his own. She didn't get a lot of support when she was calling this out.
The Christian Brothers, the Spiritan child rapists, the residential homes, the Ryan Report, the orders who expect the government to pay. She was vindicated.

From the Bunker

Woke up to a fair few personal videos of Sinead posted on TikTok this morning. In all of them she looked and sounded in a very bad place. I found them very upsetting to watch to tell the truth. I found it very uncomfortable to see some one so distressed, vulnerable and with no solution. Part of me thought these videos should be taken down. Another part of me thought suffering on that scale should be highlighted. God damn it's a dark, dark place.