Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Or surely any currency that's not sterling? Maybe USD better than euro if the whole mess devalues the euro too mind.

Mikhail Prokhorov

i bought japanese yen on my revolut card, more stable than the dollar

yellowcard

Mogg questioning the governor of the Bank of England's credentials and name calling just goes to show how the fantasists are willing to peddle anything in order to perpetuate this myth of a promised land full of milk and honey.

Then you have Barnier stating that there will be no other deal yet still the DUP and the hard Brexiteers think that they can get a better deal. They couldn't get 48 letters to put their money where their mouth was. It was time to put up or shut up but they failed to do either.   

trueblue1234

Quote from: yellowcard on November 29, 2018, 12:22:31 PM
Mogg questioning the governor of the Bank of England's credentials and name calling just goes to show how the fantasists are willing to peddle anything in order to perpetuate this myth of a promised land full of milk and honey.

Then you have Barnier stating that there will be no other deal yet still the DUP and the hard Brexiteers think that they can get a better deal. They couldn't get 48 letters to put their money where their mouth was. It was time to put up or shut up but they failed to do either.   

I just don't understand the logic. Surely these politicians are (Relatively) intelligent people, if there is a no deal do they not realise that there is a huge possibility that what the BOE claim will happen, will happen. Are they just blinded by the hope that the UK will rise from the flames or do they just not give a rat's ass if the pound drops by 25%?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 29, 2018, 12:32:19 PM

I just don't understand the logic. Surely these politicians are (Relatively) intelligent people, if there is a no deal do they not realise that there is a huge possibility that what the BOE claim will happen, will happen. Are they just blinded by the hope that the UK will rise from the flames or do they just not give a rat's ass if the pound drops by 25%?

They have delusions of grandeur and still cling to the belief that Britannia rules the waves.

maddog

No in a wrecked economy they supposedly can clean up.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: maddog on November 29, 2018, 12:36:41 PM

Like a Bilderburg conspiracy. Brexit just a big plan where the elites make themselves richer.

bennydorano

The EU have to say there's no other option but sure as shite a new deal will be found when the first goes down in flames in Parliament. Not a Brexiteers wet dream but enough to get eventually through Parliament.

BennyCake

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 29, 2018, 01:25:12 PM

Like a Bilderburg conspiracy. Brexit just a big plan where the elites make themselves richer.

That's always been my thinking on it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: BennyCake on November 29, 2018, 01:59:51 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 29, 2018, 01:25:12 PM

That's always been my thinking on it.

Likewise. I see some of them as using it to erode rights of people and piggy backing on this to make themselves a lot richer.

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:55:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 28, 2018, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:31:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2018, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 28, 2018, 01:12:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 28, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAounOTBYw

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.
Brexit means farmers out of a job, steroids in our beef, chlorine chickens, Ecoli in our lettuce and maggots in our fruit. Everyone happy now?

How do Americans survive?

Badly, especially the poor;

https://stateofobesity.org/data/

American food standards are a race to the bottom as the large lobby groups from these sectors wield far too much power.

Home come 1/3 of children in the UK are obese?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action

Lazy ass parents feeding their kids crap food.. and the fact that shit food is cheaper than actually making a dinner with natural ingredients .. But mainly lazy parents :)

So, poor food standards in the US is making people fat, but in the UK it's lazy parents.
So either way, Brexit or No Brexit we're getting fat?
If the US food is cheaper then shouldn't we be supporting Brexit if we're gonna get fat either way? At least we'll be richer. No?

Cant see a belly full of maggots making you fat but it might make you sick, why are you combining two different subjects. Its not really strengthening your case.

I'm not. Others are. Johnnycool and MR2 L think.
Look, I appreciate your point. I get it that American standards are lower. I understand it. I just think everyone is getting carried away on headlines of Chlorinated Chicken.
The UK hasn't left the EU yet. They haven't done any trade deals with any countries let alone the USA. Now, who knows, a future trade deal with the US may or may not involve chlorinated chicken or Ecoli lettuce coming into the UK or TB infected cattle, or pig meat with dioxins heading out to them but I think everyone should take a deep breath and dial down the sensationalist hyperbole just a tad.
Leaving aside your scepticism in relation to US food. The fact remains, with no back stop and a trade deal with the US on agricultural products or foodstuffs the EU will insist on a hard border in Ireland to protect their own food chain. In any event with the ending of free movement I can't see how the UK is going to stop people coming in to NI without deploying the border force and that will inevitably lead to disadent attacks.

balladmaker

QuoteI can't see how the UK is going to stop people coming in to NI without deploying the border force

That should lead to an immediate border poll to end the issue of partition once and for all.

Harold Disgracey

I'm thinking of transferring my savings to a southern account, before sterling totally tanks. I take it this wouldn't be too difficult?

yellowcard

It's like a legalised form of insider dealing where the eiltes prey on working class people and their Rule Brittania dream. They know how the markets move during periods of uncertainty and are able to profit accordingly.

The pound has already fallen about 20% since Brexit was first mooted, you can be rest assured it won't affect the lifestyle that these politicians are able to lead one iota. 

yellowcard

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 29, 2018, 04:15:22 PM
I'm thinking of transferring my savings to a southern account, before sterling totally tanks. I take it this wouldn't be too difficult?

It could still go either way. If there was a second referendum for instance, the value of sterling would likely appreciate. It was 20% more valuable prior to the Brexit referendum first being announced so it has already fallen substantially. There is no doubt it will crash further if there is a no deal but you are effectively gambling on this outcome. If Brexit does not happen for whatever reason you may likely lose out but I wouldn't dare tell anybody else what to do, it's a personal thing.