Bees

Started by man in black, July 29, 2008, 09:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

man in black

I heard on the wireless the other day someone say that if bees go extinct then we do as well within 4 years. Numbers are declining in a big way. Why couldnt it be wasps. Bastards.

On another doom and gloom note did anyone see that show Burn up or was it Burn out last week. Basically it was about the oil running out and the world economy being thrown into chaos. Was chillingly close to what we are seeing already. Good show all the same.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Our Nail Loney

Why would we be linked to bees??

Plus that is probably the grimmest post ever on the board.

Orior

Good article in this months National Geographic explaining how bees fly. Buy it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Orior on July 30, 2008, 03:25:34 PM
Good article in this months National Geographic explaining how bees fly. Buy it.

can't buy a copy orior is it ryanair ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

man in black

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 30, 2008, 02:53:02 PM
Why would we be linked to bees??

Plus that is probably the grimmest post ever on the board.

The link is to do with pollenation of crops and was rumoured to have been said by Einstein, although that is disputed.

The oil issue is a more interesting one, the world could be a very changed place in 30 years time (except that Dublin won't have won Sam by then either) There is bound to be some fairly catastrophic events as resources run out. Is Iraq and soon to be Iran wars just the start?

Jack_Black

are you sure you havent been watching the bee movie???   ;D  ;D

man in black

Quote from: Jack_Black on July 30, 2008, 03:41:26 PM
are you sure you havent been watching the bee movie???   ;D  ;D

Its a very real concern, and is keeping me more awake at night than ziggy on speed. 8)

The Iceman

not sure if this is as bad as people suggest but definitely worrying.

we rely on bees to pollinate a lot of crops and animals rely on bees to pollinate a lot of food that they eat

if animals cant eat - then there are no animals for us to eat - if we can't eat we die

now I'm sure it won't affect the developed world as much as it will the 3rd world

maybe the answer is for all of us to have bee hives in the back yard?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

There are people in America making fortunes transporting bees around the place to pollinate crops. Without bees, there are no crops, end of story. 100 million years of coevolution has seen to that.

And someone asked why it couldn't be wasps - the place would be overrun with other types of insects if there were no wasps around.

ziggysego

Davros is coming...
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on July 30, 2008, 06:44:48 PM
There are people in America making fortunes transporting bees around the place to pollinate crops. Without bees, there are no crops, end of story. 100 million years of coevolution has seen to that.

And someone asked why it couldn't be wasps - the place would be overrun with other types of insects if there were no wasps around.

So its the f**king Yanks killing our bees off, so they can sell us their own to do the job!!  >:( ;)
Tbc....

20leg-end08

This bee theory was talked about in the recent film 'The Happening'. It's suggested that bees pollination is responsible for roughly 1/3 of our food supply so it's unlikely we'd all die out but there would be a few problems I'm sure. The quote is attributed to Einstein for some reason tho theres no record of him ever having said it.
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

Denn Forever

What I heard was that some species of Bumble Bees in the UK may become extinct in the near future.  The have created a Bumble Bee reserve somewhere in the UK were they will try and preserve the species.  Don't know what the situation is on this island.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omagh_gael

I would like to hear Olly's opinion on these matters.