Newry Co.Down

Started by boojangles, August 07, 2008, 02:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Jesus whats the story with the Traffic problem in Newry at the moment?Had to pass thru it 4 times in the last month and It must have taken me at least 45minutes to get thru the place each timeI was an hour getting thru on the Monday gone by.I was coming from the Dundalk end.Are these Roadworks going on for long?

Tyrones own

Na It's just to slow you down being just past your test an all ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Tommy Tibbs

Insert Quote
Jesus whats the story with the Traffic problem in Newry at the moment?Had to pass thru it 4 times in the last month and It must have taken me at least 45minutes to get thru the place each timeI was an hour getting thru on the Monday gone by.I was coming from the Dundalk end.Are these Roadworks going on for long?

Ditto lads, place is a f**kin nightmare to get thru, was stuck in mondays traffic there as well. A good hour and thats being a kind estimate. Think there is more blasts in the coming week, can see it getting a lot worse in the near future.

Donagh

It's the Free Staters up shopping. Fecking Carrickdale is bunged every day with bus loads of them as well.

upthehoops

All to do with the strong euro v sterling as well as the traditional Co Down welcome. Apparently busloads coming from as far away as Carlow to get thier groceries and off licence supplies.

Tony Baloney

The place is always a nightmare at the weekend and I don't go near it at all in December as it is a nightmare getting parked. It just doesn't have the infrastructure in the town to handle those levels of traffic.

downgirl

If it is really busy and you don't need to stop you just want to go through the place what I do is go round, like for me to get home coming from the motorway I would normally go through the town (sorry, city) but instead if you go up the belfast road and follow the signs for Downpatrick it brings you down to the roundabout there at the Brass Monkey.  Don't know if it is any quicker but at least you are moving.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Donagh on August 07, 2008, 09:46:39 AM
It's the Free Staters up shopping.

....and the first thing the poor sods see is Newry.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

heganboy

would that be Newry Co. Armagh?

you'd be a fair bit into the town (city) coming from the south before you hit the part in Co. Down
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

I was waiting for the Armagh/Down debate to start...

boojangles

Quote from: downgirl on August 07, 2008, 11:06:01 AM
If it is really busy and you don't need to stop you just want to go through the place what I do is go round, like for me to get home coming from the motorway I would normally go through the town (sorry, city) but instead if you go up the belfast road and follow the signs for Downpatrick it brings you down to the roundabout there at the Brass Monkey.  Don't know if it is any quicker but at least you are moving.
Cheers DownGirl.Its the Downpatrick side I would usually b heading to.Nothing worse than sitting in fuckin traffic.
On a side-note,when I was coming thru Newry(must have been the Armagh end)seen a big armagh Banner with Best of Luck Stevie and a load of Armagh flags outside a Garden Centre.Does Stevie McDonnell work there or whats the story?

Yes I Would

To avoid traffic my friend , turn off at Carrickdale, travel over through Meigh, Camlough then down to bottom of Newry Bypass. Will avoid the traffic and should take about 10 minutes.

corn02

It is a nightmare. The stretch from Stonebridge round to the quays via the Abbey is a nnightmare. The traffic lights are very much out of sync.

Uladh

Is there anything useful in the newry side of the town?

the quays, buttercrane, the marshes, sports centre, jennings park, swimming pool, canal court, monaghan st shopping, corrinshigo gfc..... all in armagh

lfdown2

Quote from: Uladh on August 07, 2008, 03:31:30 PM

Is there anything useful in the newry side of the town?

is everything not the newry side of town??

and thats the postal address so i think boojangles is correct here...