Camping

Started by BennyCake, June 04, 2014, 03:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Do what golfers do in a thunderstorm - hold a one-iron up in the air.

(Even God can't hit a one-iron.)

WeeDonns

Plan to go camping this weekend.
Thinking of a night in Strandhill or Enniscrone and then on to Westport for a night. Those general directions anyway.
Have just emailed the campsite to see if i need to prebook

Any recommendations of what to do/see down that direction? taking the surfboards with us so will be hoping to check out some of the beaches i've never surfed before

BenDover

Quote from: WeeDonns on July 11, 2014, 09:54:42 AM
Plan to go camping this weekend.
Thinking of a night in Strandhill or Enniscrone and then on to Westport for a night. Those general directions anyway.
Have just emailed the campsite to see if i need to prebook

Any recommendations of what to do/see down that direction? taking the surfboards with us so will be hoping to check out some of the beaches i've never surfed before
Camped in Standhill before decent site not far from the beach. Plenty of surfers in that area. Hope its dry for ye

gawa316

Strandhill is a great spot for the oul camping. Nice campsite, we usually camp over closer to the dunes to get a bit of protection from the wind. Surf is usually pretty good down there. Be careful though as it can be rocky, especially in front of the campsite. If you head over to the other end of the beach, there are less rocks. Nice couple of pubs there as well. There use to be a nice pizza please as well, not sure if that is still there though.

trueblue1234

Just pulling this thread back up again. Kids had been on to me to try camping last year so borrowed stuff and took them away for couple of nights hoping that would scratch the itch. But they loved it and have to say I really enjoyed too. So bought some equipment and going to try and get a few wkend away with the kids this year.
Anyone like to recommend any good camp sites? Preferably within 2-3 hrs drive from Omagh.
Dont think I could do the whole week long camping but 1-2 nights is good craic.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 04, 2024, 10:49:47 PMJust pulling this thread back up again. Kids had been on to me to try camping last year so borrowed stuff and took them away for couple of nights hoping that would scratch the itch. But they loved it and have to say I really enjoyed too. So bought some equipment and going to try and get a few wkend away with the kids this year.
Anyone like to recommend any good camp sites? Preferably within 2-3 hrs drive from Omagh.
Dont think I could do the whole week long camping but 1-2 nights is good craic.

Kilbroney park, Rostrevor .. was great craic for the kids, but freezing lol!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

WeeDonns

Just bought an inflatable 5 berth awning to go on the side of my van last week (Customer return on the olpro ebay shop less than half price if you're looking)

We camped for a night last May in Slieve Croob in Co.Down - it was organised by a groupVW Transporters NI Group on facebook. It turned out to be great weekend with lots for the kids to do and a band set up for a few hours

Its on again this year on 17th & 18th May - they've cocktail bars, street food & kids entertainment laid on.
*You don't have to be in a van, you can come along with just a tent

looking at other options, Hidden Valley resortt in Wicklow seems like a good spot with lots to do for kids
Can anyone recommend anything similar in Ireland? I think there's something similar in Galway with all the high ropes etc - no good for my kids yet

Some of the GAA clubs in Donegal have camping pitches now, e.g Downings, but you can't just decide to go on a Friday evening, you need to book ahead it seems