A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Did Dublin not withdraw their funding initially back in 2019 because SF brought down executive for 2 years?

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 28, 2022, 12:11:27 PM
Did Dublin not withdraw their funding initially back in 2019 because SF brought down executive for 2 years?

No

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Mike Tyson on October 28, 2022, 12:20:50 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 28, 2022, 12:11:27 PM

No

Sorry deferral

Speaking in the Dáil, the Taoiseach said: "The largest single deferral, which is, of course, not a deferral in reality, is the €27 million we had allocated to A5 this year. That project cannot go ahead because, unfortunately, there is no Executive and there are no Ministers in NI."

We keep making it easy

armaghniac

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2022, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: God14 on October 28, 2022, 11:42:31 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2022, 11:35:44 AM
Apologies if already covered but why would local farmers or residents wish to block this scheme?? Surely not some warped thinking about a road to Dublin??

Opponents have opposed the compulsory purchase of land and raised environmental issues.

I'm all for the environment but the death toll on this tops everything! The farmers will get well enough compensated for I'm sure is fairly average agricultural land!

It is good Protestant land in the valley. If you want your Fenian road then build it among the whins in Gortin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on October 28, 2022, 12:47:07 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2022, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: God14 on October 28, 2022, 11:42:31 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2022, 11:35:44 AM
Apologies if already covered but why would local farmers or residents wish to block this scheme?? Surely not some warped thinking about a road to Dublin??

Opponents have opposed the compulsory purchase of land and raised environmental issues.

I'm all for the environment but the death toll on this tops everything! The farmers will get well enough compensated for I'm sure is fairly average agricultural land!

It is good Protestant land in the valley. If you want your Fenian road then build it among the whins in Gortin.

A Catholic road in Protestant land. That's how they see it.

Absolutely scandalous that this has dragged on this long.

omagh_gael

Seen a stat on twitter earlier that 1 in 6 deaths in the North this past year have occurred on this stretch of the A5. Absolutely f**king scandalous that the upgrade has never progressed. Literally the blood of our community on those who protested. RIP young man, a fine footballer and a great fella by all accounts.

delgany

The new Centra petrol station on curr road layout is crazy. No right turning lane for traffic going towards Omagh is shocking. Just short off a blind corner . Pure madness, accident black spot in the making !

armaghniac

Sadly, this may be one of the most long lived threads on Gaaboard, together with the Casement debacle one.
The current mess on the Dungiven bypass shows how the 6 counties is unwilling to get these projects done.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 24, 2023, 10:44:36 AM
Sadly, this may be one of the most long lived threads on Gaaboard, together with the Casement debacle one.
The current mess on the Dungiven bypass shows how the 6 counties is unwilling to get these projects done.

Its a complete joke of a set up, the A5 Casement the link up from Westlink to the M2 and that Dungiven bypass is just crazy, was up in Donegal at the weekend (my liver is mad at me!!) and driving alongside the bypass and then on it at 40mph is just daft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Decod89

Quote from: delgany on January 24, 2023, 10:34:21 AM
The new Centra petrol station on curr road layout is crazy. No right turning lane for traffic going towards Omagh is shocking. Just short off a blind corner . Pure madness, accident black spot in the making !

A really brutal decision by Ferm and Omagh planning on this one. DfI Roads requested a right turn lane. The applicant met DfI Roads and it was agreed that it wasn't necessary.
No minutes of that meeting available, or evidence of what was discussed or how it was agreed.

Hereiam

With the involvement of the Tyrone GAA in this issue now it will harden the unionist side more than ever against it.

This scheme was dead in the water as soon as it was announced. Political sabotage at its best by the unionists.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Hereiam on January 24, 2023, 11:26:20 AM
With the involvement of the Tyrone GAA in this issue now it will harden the unionist side more than ever against it.

This scheme was dead in the water as soon as it was announced. Political sabotage at its best by the unionists.

There wasn't much softening in their stance over all the years. Planters.

trailer

WeeDonns

Quote from: Hereiam on January 24, 2023, 11:26:20 AM

Yep.
I don't want to criticse people who've decided to try and do something rather than do nothing, but there was a previous group "Action for the A5", that certainly had strong GAA links, who tried to lobby for its construction without making it an Orange V Green thing
This campaign using the Tyrone GAA red hand in the logo & launched in Garvaghy comes across very much as an "Ourselves alone" kind of thing

Would have been better using the existing logo & holding the launch events in public halls etc, still strongly backed by Tyrone GAA of course, but not run by them. They need to get everyone on board

Paisley Snr referred to it as the "United Ireland Freeway" iirc.
Slogans like that would put some people against it, even if they lived along the route & the new road would benefit them

Given that it was nicely split into 3 separate sections for tender etc, it was pretty disappointing that a planning issue on one section prevented the other 2 from going ahead,

Quote from: trailer on January 24, 2023, 02:23:55 PM
Will it ever be built? What do we think?
There was a time when I was sure it would.
Now I think planning will be passed, but the budget will be an issue..