A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on December 27, 2021, 02:31:15 PM
A5 strikes again. 3 young lives lost.  :(

Awful news, horrible for those families..

Heart in mouth each time my daughter gets into her car!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

It's a dangerous road of that there no question, abit like the frosses, one of the few roads I am uncomfortable driving. The constant blocking by land owners is a big issue but like casement Park they only slow down the inevitable, but they can't see that.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2021, 05:12:50 PM

I know where you're coming from. My kids are in their late 20s but I still recall the sleepless nights we spent when they were younger just waiting for them to come home
Careful now

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 28, 2021, 12:18:53 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2021, 05:12:50 PM

I know where you're coming from. My kids are in their late 20s but I still recall the sleepless nights we spent when they were younger just waiting for them to come home
Same. The eldest is 17 and now has a car. Wasnt home til near 1 last night and I sat up waiting (after ringing to tell him to come home!). Never understood it at that age but do now!

Hereiam

Another death on this stretch of road, how many more people are going to die before we get a new road.
On a separate note I notice that the news outlets have stopped referring to the road as the "A5" and just use the road name where the accident has happened.

Snapchap

Quote from: Hereiam on September 30, 2022, 11:06:07 AM
Another death on this stretch of road, how many more people are going to die before we get a new road.
On a separate note I notice that the news outlets have stopped referring to the road as the "A5" and just use the road name where the accident has happened.

It's beyond scandalous. Death after death after death. On top of the accident yesterday which caused this man's death, there was a second (non-fatal thankfully) accident just a few minutes further down the road. It's starting to feel like there's not a week goes by that there's not a news report of a road closure due to a serious accident somewhere along it. Desperately sad to think that more people will die needlessly so long as the upgrade continues to be delayed/sabotaged.

Snapchap

And again. Another life lost to the A5 yesterday.

The carnage continues.

God14

Quote from: Snapchap on October 28, 2022, 08:52:34 AM
And again. Another life lost to the A5 yesterday.

The carnage continues.

Heart breaking. A talented young gael gone far far too soon

LeoMc

In the past year 1 out of every 6 road fatalities in Northern Ireland has occurred on this road. On average someone has been dying on the A5 every 5 weeks.

GJL

Shocking. Another poor family ripped to pieces. It is time for action from the genuinely concerned public to force a new road. Should that be blockages or whatever. Action is needed.  >:( >:( >:(

Walter Cronc

Apologies if already covered but why would local farmers or residents wish to block this scheme?? Surely not some warped thinking about a road to Dublin??

God14

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2022, 11:35:44 AM
Apologies if already covered but why would local farmers or residents wish to block this scheme?? Surely not some warped thinking about a road to Dublin??

Opponents have opposed the compulsory purchase of land and raised environmental issues.

God14

Quote from: GJL on October 28, 2022, 11:32:44 AM
Shocking. Another poor family ripped to pieces. It is time for action from the genuinely concerned public to force a new road. Should that be blockages or whatever. Action is needed.  >:( >:( >:(

Totally agree.

It seems far too simple for a small group of activists to halt & delay works like these. Throw in political instability & funding challenges a delay is as good as a defeat for progress

Walter Cronc

Quote from: God14 on October 28, 2022, 11:42:31 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2022, 11:35:44 AM

Opponents have opposed the compulsory purchase of land and raised environmental issues.

I'm all for the environment but the death toll on this tops everything! The farmers will get well enough compensated for I'm sure is fairly average agricultural land!