Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 25, 2016, 09:35:25 PM
It's a pity with Mayo after winning an AI U21. There is a small window of opportunity next year for Mayo to supplement their senior squad with actual all Ireland winners
Mayo had plenty of actual All Ireland winners on their senior team this year from the 2006 U21 team. This years U21 winning team probably won't produce as many established seniors because the quality of the U21 championship wasn't as high as 2006 or as high as recent years.

O'Connor, Coen and Akram will be starters unless Mayo make a total hames of things.

INDIANA

It's a pity with Mayo after winning an AI U21. There is a small window of opportunity next year for Mayo to supplement their senior squad with actual all Ireland winners
Mayo had plenty of actual All Ireland winners on their senior team this year from the 2006 U21 team. This years U21 winning team probably won't produce as many established seniors because the quality of the U21 championship wasn't as high as 2006 or as high as recent years.

It was higher then 2006 because they beat Dublin.

You forgot that bit

Cunny Funt

Quote from: INDIANA on December 25, 2016, 10:03:22 PM

You forgot that bit

No bit forgot on my behalf at at.

The Dublin U21 team Mayo beat this year by one point wasn't a patch on the Dublin 2010,2012 or 2014 U21 All Irelands winning teams.

INDIANA

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 25, 2016, 10:35:46 PM

You forgot that bit

The Dublin U21 team Mayo beat this year by one point wasn't a patch on the Dublin 2010,2012 or 2014 U21 All Irelands winning teams.

Not claiming it was but at u21 and senior level since 2011 we have been the standard bearers. So beating us in the championship at either grade signifies a group capable of mixing it with the best. And elevates the championship win to a group of players as capable of mixing it well at senior level.

the reality is had we beaten Mayo we'd have won it

moysider

Quote from: Halfquarter on December 25, 2016, 11:34:57 AM
Good article by Thomas O'Shea.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-kerry-and-dubs-dont-care-what-others-say-about-them-neither-should-mayo-35318728.html

Not good from Tomás.

He was good in an earlier speak on this but seems to have revised his position. He talks about county board backing up management they put place, while last week he was about county board should make sure county board should make sure they get the right people in place. He knows well that H&C were not the right people. Then he changes tack. He blames management and players and doesn't mention county board that created the mess in this article.

He also goes on about going along with a manager at club level on the face of things but players deciding to do their own thing. Ye have to laugh about some of this stuff.
As regards chip on shoulder. Nonsense. Players that have kept pushing for the summit but dismissed by press and former players - like Tomás - as a bunch of losers.

I never such a shower of losers concern so many people. Dublin, Kerry and others should be delighted with our messing about.

maigheo

Yeah not good from Tomas.Must have had a fair scatter of pints drank when he wrote that article.

Halfquarter

Quote from: maigheo on December 26, 2016, 04:16:26 AM
Yeah not good from Tomas.Must have had a fair scatter of pints drank when he wrote that article.
From my reading of the article he puts the blame on H&C for sh1tstirring, laying lie to the claim that they were doing it for the "good of Mayo football " .
Ok,the CB got it badly wrong initially but that to me is a seperate debate .
He says and I quote -

"But in the long run it's not good for Mayo. Holmes and Connelly had held the high ground since they left; maybe they were hounded to speak on it but I think everyone comes out of this saga tarnished; the players, the management . . . it doesn't do anyone any favours."

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Halfquarter on December 26, 2016, 11:26:00 AM
From my reading of the article he puts the blame on H&C for sh1tstirring, laying lie to the claim that they were doing it for the "good of Mayo football " .
He says and I quote -

"But in the long run it's not good for Mayo. Holmes and Connelly had held the high ground since they left; maybe they were hounded to speak on it but I think everyone comes out of this saga tarnished; the players, the management . . . it doesn't do anyone any favours."
Back when h&c were appointed, many Mayo posters said there was trouble ahead. Moy said they were dead men walking and this proved to be true. A lot of the "experts" here have been been spouting BS since h&c went public who haven't a clue about what has been going on. It's a wonder the players didn't rear up a lot sooner. I'd give Tomas maybe 5 out of 10 and he wasn't the worst by a long shot.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 26, 2016, 11:52:15 AM
He says and I quote -

Back when h&c were appointed, many Mayo posters said there was trouble ahead. Moy said they were dead men walking and this proved to be true. A lot of the "experts" here have been been spouting BS since h&c went public who haven't a clue about what has been going on. It's a wonder the players didn't rear up a lot sooner. I'd give Tomas maybe 5 out of 10 and he wasn't the worst by a long shot.

Absolute bollocks.

You are burying your head in the sand.

Managers should be judged on the results and performances of their side, their Championship performances were on a par at least with what went before and came afterwards.

The real reason for the coup seems to be that certain players egos were not massaged and they exercised perceived personal grievances with the management team by threatening a strike to have them removed. That is unacceptable but a lot here are completely burying their heads in the sand.

It is not the remit of players to have input in team selections.
It is not the remit of players to have a say in removing management teams.
It is not the remit of players to have a say in the appointment of management teams.

These are the issues the Mayo posters here will not address, all that is being proffered as justification is cryptic and vague hints that there was more behind it that what is in the public domain. The fact is that unless you were in the camp and knew what happened, you are taking leaps of faith and the leaps of faith seem to be very subjective to those of the players from the Mayo posters here. There doesn't seem to be anything concrete behind what they are putting forward, just the side of the story they'd like to believe.

I'm a pragmatist and that's why I have to side with Holmes and Connelly on this matter, nothing justifies the actions of the Mayo players on this, it is not their business to decide management teams and the results and the performances are the only substantive measure for managers, in their only season Holmes and Connelly did as well as any management team - past or present. A personality clash between certain players and management is the only obvious reason for this.

criostlinn

You forgot that bit

The Mayo u21 team that beat Dublin this year wasn't a patch on the Mayo 2010, 2012 or 2014 teams. Now obviously this is a nonsensical argument that cannot be proved either way but hey this seems to be the way this thread is gone so fcuk it there ya go

Cunny Funt

Quote from: criostlinn on December 26, 2016, 01:09:41 PM

You forgot that bit

The Mayo u21 team that beat Dublin this year wasn't a patch on the Mayo 2010, 2012 or 2014 teams. Now obviously this is a nonsensical argument that cannot be proved either way but hey this seems to be the way this thread is gone so fcuk it there ya go
Nonsensical argument? Easy to know you haven't followed the underage scene closely the last few years but hey if you want to believe it was a strong Dublin U21 team this year knock yourself out.

criostlinn

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 26, 2016, 12:23:12 PM
He says and I quote -

Absolute bollocks.

Managers should be judged on the results and performances of their side, their Championship performances were on a par at least with what went before and came afterwards.

The real reason for the coup seems to be that certain players egos were not massaged and they exercised perceived personal grievances with the management team by threatening a strike to have them removed. That is unacceptable but a lot here are completely burying their heads in the sand.

It is not the remit of players to have a say in the appointment of management teams.

These are the issues the Mayo posters here will not address, all that is being proffered as justification is cryptic and vague hints that there was more behind it that what is in the public domain. The fact is that unless you were in the camp and knew what happened, you are taking leaps of faith and the leaps of faith seem to be very subjective to those of the players from the Mayo posters here. There doesn't seem to be anything concrete behind what they are putting forward, just the side of the story they'd like to believe.

I'm a pragmatist and that's why I have to side with Holmes and Connelly on this matter, nothing justifies the actions of the Mayo players on this, it is not their business to decide management teams and the results and the performances are the only substantive measure for managers, in their only season Holmes and Connelly did as well as any management team - past or present. A personality clash between certain players and management is the only obvious reason for this.

You see bombers problem here is he just doesn't get. Not his fault really, as there are a lot of things he just doesn't get as is shown by is continuous ramblings all over this board. On this thread instead of just going away and accepting he doesn't get it he has a couple of other fools egging him on and this has resulted in the absolute nonsense came out in this post.

As Lar has already pointed out the trouble that came about as a result of the appointment process was well flag. Not only was it discussed all over Mayo, it was also discussed at Co Board level and resulted in resignations from the board. But the power brokers pushed on, patting themselves on the back for the great appointment.

Everyone knew that the real reason for the appointment was to cut back on spending and this meant putting the players back in their boxes. James Horan brought this team to within a kick of a ball of winning an All Ireland final but this meant increased spending on team preparation. It also meant Horan had more of a say on how things were run and when things were going well no one could say a word. But Horan was hated. As far as some were concerned he had to much power and our Co Board men didn't like this one bit.

When Horan left they made sure they wouldn't make the same mistake again. In a dictatorship only the dictators can have control. What better way to ensure total control but to appoint a relation of the leader. This is something you see in the middle east time and time again

So the Dynamic Duo took up and straight away attempted to sort out the plebs. Cuts made in the medical team, cuts made in training expenses. This all at a time when the other serious All Ireland contenders were taking things to another level. And the players should keeps their mouths shut. Be good little boys and say nothing. You see they have no all Ireland medals so what do they know.

This group of players never had a problem with self criticism. Under James Horan they always tried to identify problems and rectify them. Just look at the player Aiden O'Shea was in 2010 and see how he improved every year under Horan. He addressed issues with is fitness and overall play. Look at the team that was physically beat up a stick by Kerry in 2011 and how they transformed themselves over the next couple of years. Ok. They didn't reach the holy grail but they came damn close and I have never heard one of these players making an excuse or blaming a referee.

The least they could have expected when Horan left was someone that may be able to offer something a little bit different. Bomber keeps on pointing that H&C achieved the same results in 2015 as Horan did up to this but the simple point he is missing is the players didn't want the same results. Maybe someone that could help them identify areas that they could improve and put time and resources into improving this. Not some gobshite who himself stood of a man  as he scored 11 points in an All Ireland telling them that they were bullied by Kerry and all they are good for is making excuses. Not some Co Board lackies whose number 1 priorty was to cut expenses. As for reaching the All Ireland semi final and losing to Dublin in a replay. This team without a manager could have achieved this. Despite not having actually one an All Ireland they reached the semi every year  in the previous 4 years and certainly did not need H&C to guide them to this. One saying you often hear mentioned is you learn more from losing then winning. Mayo lost the 2014 replay after a 6 day turnaround. I wonder would the players have anything to offer management on ways they could rectify any problems they identified from the previous year when they faced the same thing in 2015. I also wonder how much heed management paid of these opinions. But then sure the players have no All Irelands so what would they know.

I've said this before, some of these players had the misfortune of playing under a management which came about as a result of a County Board stroke. Micky Moran got above his station and he was cut at the knees. We seen what happened the next 4 years as the players kept their mouths shuts. Thank good these players were a lot braver. The only thing I wonder after reading this H&C list of excuses why they didnt make it at management is why the players didn't do what Offaly hurlers did and fcuk these chancers out long before they did. You never know with a proper set up they may have pulled of something special in 2015

maigheo

Brilliantly said Criostlinn.Nail on the head and all that.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: criostlinn on December 26, 2016, 02:20:11 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 26, 2016, 12:23:12 PM
He says and I quote -

Absolute bollocks.

You see bombers problem here is he just doesn't get. Not his fault really as there are a lot of things he just doesn't get as is shown by is continuous ramblings all over this board. On this thread instead of just going away and accepting he doesn't get it he has a couple of other fools egging him on and this has resulted in the absolute nonsense that is came out in this post.

As Lar has already pointed out the trouble that came about as a result of the appointment process was well flag. Not only was it discussed all over Mayo it was also discussed at Co Board level and resulted in resignations from the board. But the power brokers pushed on, patting themselves on the back for the great appointment.

Everyone knew that the real reason for the appointment was to cut back on spending and this meant putting the players back in their boxes. James Horan brought this team to within a kick of a ball of winning an All Ireland final but this meant increased spending on team preparation. It also meant Horan had more of a say on how things were run and when things were going well no one could say a word. But Horan was hated. As far as some were concerned he had to much power and our Co Board men didn't like this one bit.

When Horan left they made sure they wouldn't make the same mistake again. In a dictatorship only the dictators can have control. What better way to ensure total control but to appoint a relation of the leader. This is something you see in the middle east time and time again

So the Dynamic Duo took up and straight away attempted to sort out the plebs. Cuts made in the medical team, cuts made in training expenses. This all at a time when the other serious All Ireland contenders were taking things to another level. And the players should keeps their mouths shut. Be good little boys and say nothing. You see they have no all Ireland medals so what do they know.

This group of players never had a problem with self criticism. Under James Horan they always tried to identify problems and rectify them. Just look at the player Aiden O'Shea was in 2010 and see how he improved every year under Horan. He addressed issues with is fitness and overall play. Look at the team that was physically beat up a stick by Kerry in 2011 and how they transformed themselves over the next couple of years. Ok. They didn't reach the holy grail but they came damn close and I have never heard one of these players making an excuse or blaming a referee.

The least they could have expected when Horan left was someone that may be able to offer something a little bit different. Bomber keeps on pointing that H&C achieved the same results in 2015 as Horan did up to this but the simple point he is missing is the players didn't want the same results. Maybe someone that could help them identify areas that they could improve and put time and resources into improving this. Not some gobshite who himself stood of a man  as he scored 11 points in an All Ireland telling them that they were bullied by Kerry and all they are good for is making excuses. Not some Co Board lackies whose number 1 priorty was to cut expenses. As for reaching the All Ireland semi final and losing to Dublin in a replay. This team without a manager could have achieved this. Despite not having actually one an All Ireland they reached the semi every year  in the previous 4 years and certainly did not need H&C to guide them to this. One saying you often hear mentioned is you learn more from losing then winning. Mayo lost the 2014 replay after a 6 day turnaround. I wonder would the players have anything to offer management on ways they could rectify any problems they identified from the previous year when they faced the same thing in 2015. I also wonder how much heed management paid of these opinions. But then sure the players have no All Irelands so what would they know.

I've said this before, some of these players had the misfortune of playing under a management which came about as a result of a County Board stroke. Micky Moran got above hs station and he was cut at the knees. We seen what happened the next 4 years as the players kept their mouths shuts. Thank good they were a lot braver this time. The only thing I wonder after reading this H&C list of excuses why they didnt make it at management is why the players didn't do what Offaly hurlers did and fcuk these chancers out long before they did. You never know with a proper set up they may have pulled of something special in 2015

Absolutely none of that justifies or validates the actions of the Mayo players.

All may not have been prim and proper in the appointment of the management teams and they may have upset some players and made some mistakes through their tenure but that doesn't justify or excuse the actions of the Mayo players.

The vendetta being exercised against Holmes and Connelly here is pathetic, their own failings as players now apparently doesn't allow them, in their roles as managers, to criticise their own players. Imagine some of the Tyrone lads telling Mickey Harte what he would know because he had a modest playing career? From what has been publicised it seems that Mayo players are very precious about the criticism that is dished out to them, some people may point to the fact that Holmes and Connelly were old school, that their type of management was not a good fit with the modern game but you can't say that and ignore the precious reactions of Mayo players to reasonable criticism of how they have failed to get over the line when they have been in a good position to.

Does the fact Keith Higgins got taken for a big score off James O'Donoghue disqualify him from ever criticising a Mayo player in the future? How many scores from play did Fitzgerald even hit from play in that aforementioned game?I think the rules require you to stand off a dead ball specialist when he is taking a free, 45 or sideline ball.

The area Mayo need to build on most in order to win an AI is their mental strength and character. Time and time again they have got themselves to within 10 or 15 minutes of touching distance to win an AI but time and time again their heads have turned to mush in that period. The players seem to take criticism of that very personally, they should be using this as a fuel to prove people wrong. Rather than throwing the petted lip when this type of doubt and criticism is cast their way they should be using it as motivation to prove the doubters wrong.

There is nothing you have said there that makes what the Mayo players did justifiable or acceptable.

Syferus

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=264481

It took a lot of luck for Mayo to even make this year's final it should be remembered. Hard to see a case where Rochford did anything better than H&C did. But sure if Gary Sice says he's awesome that should be enough, right?