Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

Rossfan

And us to scrape it by 8 pts to 7  ;D  and Spillane and Brolly to slate Connacht football all night long.
" jasus Roscommon playin wit a ten man half back line " "Football is rooned I tell ye!!"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on June 13, 2013, 01:47:51 AM

I saw Fr. Dan's picture in the dreaded Western today, in the soaking rain two years ago with a full-sized radio and full-on headphones listening to the match:

Jaysus. Wasn't he lucky he wasn't electrocuted with that stuff?

larryin89

''BTW have Mayo chosen the Dublin hotel for the Croker games yet? Horan will want a upgrade from the Regency hotel''

He'll get his upgrade, Belmullet for training camp has the cb rollin in it.

Do people think Mayo have improved greatly since Hyde park 2011? I do.

Do people think Roscommon have suddenly became a great side, why didn't they gain promotion, what happened in Galway and Tyrone games last year?

I'm a little bit baffled at why people are just pulling these mad notions out of the sky, maybe i'm missing something but i maintain there is no chance of an upset on Sunday and furthermore i see a comfortable win.

Is there evidence to suggest Roscommon are at the same or even near the same intensity levels Mayo are capable of. Did ye see the way Galway were honest to jasus bouncing off Mayo?

The western Gaels maneen they have in the middle, i fear for his safety, he will be brused aside like a ball boy thats entered the field by mistake.

Like i say i find it all very bafflling, the cautious approach by some Mayo posters and the optimism of the Rossies, where as nobody can back it up .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

sans pessimism

Quote from: larryin89 on June 13, 2013, 10:02:49 PM
''BTW have Mayo chosen the Dublin hotel for the Croker games yet? Horan will want a upgrade from the Regency hotel''

Do people think Roscommon have suddenly became a great side, why didn't they gain promotion, what happened in Galway and Tyrone games last year?

I'm a little bit baffled at why people are just pulling these mad notions out of the sky, maybe i'm missing something but i maintain there is no chance of an upset on Sunday and furthermore i see a comfortable win.

Is there evidence to suggest Roscommon are at the same or even near the same intensity levels Mayo are capable of. Did ye see the way Galway were honest to jasus bouncing off Mayo?

The western Gaels maneen they have in the middle, i fear for his safety, he will be brused aside like a ball boy thats entered the field by mistake.

Like i say i find it all very bafflling, the cautious approach by some Mayo posters and the optimism of the Rossies, where as nobody can back it up .
cool d'owl drawers there larry/PSTG or whoever
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

larryin89

Quote from: sans pessimism on June 13, 2013, 10:15:36 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 13, 2013, 10:02:49 PM

cool d'owl drawers there larry/PSTG or whoever

They are just genuine questions, i'm interested as to where people on the internet are coming from with all these wild notions that the Rossies have suddenly became a formidable side as opposed to my food of thought which says they are  a ridiculously poor side.

Mayo4Sam

In fairness to Larryin89 there's not a massive amount to back up this statement from Donie.

"But if you look at the two sides, not much has changed when we probably should have beaten them and didn't."

I'd argue we weren't going to lose that day. But to say not much has changed is outrageous, as much as there is a chance that Roscommon will play to the top of their game on Sunday and mayo will be caught cold, 9 times out of 10 Mayo should win (Mayo are 6 to 1 on).
If you look at Mayo since 2011 they've been to a semi final and a final, gradually shown progression, developed as players and a team and can realistically be counted as one of the top three contenders for the AI.
Could the same progression be shown for Roscommon? Not on last years evidence.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

You have to have serious blinkers on to think Mayo 'weren't going to lose in 2011'.

We missed a load of good chances with the wind in the first half and Donie hit at minimum three on-target shots (two of which were frees) in the second half that were dropped into Hennelly'a hands by the worsening blizzard we were playing into.

Keep puffing out the ould chests lads, it'll only make it sweeter if we puncture the wheels of the Croke Park Express.

sans pessimism

A little respect from the new guysfor the fine tradition
and football ability of Ros wouldnt hurt
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

larryin89

Quote from: sans pessimism on June 13, 2013, 11:16:26 PM
A little respect from the new guysfor the fine tradition
and football ability of Ros wouldnt hurt

Ok. Don't mean to hurt anyones feelings.

Just asking genuine questions, just simply tell me when did Roscommon become a good side? Like i have alluded to earlier , i can't fathom where this is all coming from?

I'm looking at a side who couldnt make promotion from div 3, couldn't beat Wwicklow in the hyde park, got a drubbing off an average Galway side in the championship 12 months ago.

Has Evans got a masterplan to topple Mayo, have they improved significantly  since the brigids players came back for the latter part of the league, is it because they beat Cavan,? You must understand where i'm coming from, i don't get it, fill me in.

Do you think because maybe Dunie Shine will start , that this will put some fear into Mayo?

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 13, 2013, 07:38:51 PM
Last couple of Championship meetings. Not good reading for the Rossies.

Mayo 0-13 - 0-11 Roscommon Connacht final 2011

Mayo 3-18 - 0-07 Roscommon Connacht semi final 2009

Mayo 1-16 - 0-11 Roscommon Connacht semi final 2005

Mayo 2-13 - 0-09 Roscommon Mayo Connacht final 2004

Mayo 0-20 - 2-08 Roscommon Qualifier Round 2 2002

Roscommon 2-10 - 1-12 Mayo Mayo Connacht final 2001

Mayo 0-21 - 0-10 Roscommon Connacht semi final 1999

Mayo 0-14 – 0-10 Roscommon Connacht semi final 1996

Mayo have seven wins and One loss over the period scoring 7:127 and conceding 4:76.

Of all of those games the one I was most certain of a win, was 2001.

That is why we should take nothing for granted. On all known form Mayo should win, but the beauty of sport, and tradition, means this is a real live contest unless Ros completely freeze. That happens too, but we can't rely on it.

Mayo by 5 after a tough 50 minutes.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

QuoteStatement regarding Dr. Hyde Park
posted 6 hours ago by PRO Roscommon
The Management Committee of Roscommon GAA was recently informed by the Connacht Council that Dr. Hyde Park will not be considered as a venue for Connacht Senior Football Championship Finals for the foreseeable future.

We were disappointed to receive the news but can accept the reasoning due a number of the concerns contained in the "Slattery Report" which was published last year. Although a number of issues were addressed in the lead up to last year's Connacht Final some of the facilities are not considered suitable and there are a number of Health and Safety issues outstanding.
At present the venue cannot accommodate crowds in excess of 18,750 but can host other Connacht Championship games, All-Ireland qualifiers and other games with smaller attendances.

We are aware of the financial benefits that hosting the past two Connacht Finals has brought to Roscommon town and the impact on our own finances and we are doing our utmost to resolve the situation.
We are currently finalising negotiations with Roscommon Gaels to transfer control of the stadium to Roscommon County Board and once this process has reached a conclusion we will forward a plan to the Connacht Council and Central Council to seek funding for the redevelopment of the Stadium in order to bring the facilities to a standard required for hosting major games and to give the people of Roscommon a Stadium to be proud of.

It can't be over-stated how much that's going to feed into the sentiment at the weekend. That is a hugely emotive issue here. Nevermind the players, the supporters will be liable to run through a few brick walls. Prenty just added another foil to the match.

Forget about the play-acting for a second - this has really pissed me off in a way very few things can. Pathetic.

sans pessimism

Well larry I think that a phrase like 'fear for his safety'is way Ott-
thats what I mean by having a little respect.By all means heap
praise on whoever you want but not to sneer at lads that are training
all year for this very day.'Aim high but allow for the drop'
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

larryin89

Fair enough cara, just a bit of jest tbh, no harm meant.

Blowitupref

Quote from: muppet on June 13, 2013, 11:40:48 PM
Of all of those games the one I was most certain of a win, was 2001.
How so? yes Mayo had won the league however Roscommon were also div 1 and had just beaten a good Galway side in Tuam.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"