Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

moysider

Quote from: ross matt on June 05, 2013, 11:29:13 PM
Would love to boldly predict a turn up for the books here but I just feel the result is not in any doubt. Mayo to win. The only doubt is by how much.

I think the Rossies will be competitive. At least I hope they will because if they are they should be able to get  a decent qualifier run obviously depending on who we draw.

2012 was a not a reflection on the Roscommon senior football panel's real ability. But it set them back significantly.

If we remove that season from the equation there is a panel there of successful underage players who have a bit of physique to add to their football ability. In 2011 they competed effectively with Mayo in the Connaught Final and Tyrone afterwards in the qualifiers.

They've also the  benefit of watching what Mayo did to an unprepared Galway side so they shouldnt be shocked or intimidated by that level of intensity. They've  a fine coach in John Evans. They're roaring underdogs so no pressure to perform. They are on an upward curve.

All that being said this Mayo side are skillful, well conditioned, cynical, mentally strong and consistent. A modern top 4 side with AI ambitions. They'll expect the Rossies to tick all the boxes I've mentioned and won't be fazed in the least.

Mayo by 6 points.

Jaysus Matt, there s a lot of stuff there just doesn t add up.

2012 not a reflection on Ros ability but a performance in 2011 v Mayo during rain and gale might be?

In my experience a good performance in the provincial championship is no indicator of what happens next - regardless of who is drawn.

Galway unprepared? Where did that come from. Respected pundits went with Galway as usual and even the Galway manager had time to spare to boost his business on the back of the fixture. There is no way such a respected manager as Mulholland would not have his team prepared. What could he have missed out on. Mayo have been on the telly a lot, even if you re tied up in the bookies on match days. Am I being cynical - yeah just a little bit.

Which bring me to cynical. People have to be havin a laugh. Maybe people dont know the difference between cynical and desperate. Mayo of course are no where near cynical enough to really cut it at the summit. We re still puppies compared to the pros. We coughed up a big lead v Dublin last year because we were not cynical enough. What was pinged as cynicism later was desperation as a result of injuries and loss of shape, and as important, managements failure to get players to get behind the ball and finish out what should have been a last 20 min. coast. If Doc got that easy goal chance it would have put us 12 ?? points up. But Mayo should not have to keep scoring to win games they re well ahead in.

Syferus

Mayo are plenty cynical, and it's a good thing for them, but they're not cute enough about it yet. It takes some serious work on the dark arts to be able to compete with the Jimmys and the Mickeys of the world. Jamesy is still only an apprentice Ming the Merciless. He'll get ye there.

Hang on, I just had a great idea of who'd be Roscommon's own Jimmy..

ross matt

Quote from: moysider on June 06, 2013, 12:07:18 AM
Quote from: ross matt on June 05, 2013, 11:29:13 PM
Would love to boldly predict a turn up for the books here but I just feel the result is not in any doubt. Mayo to win. The only doubt is by how much.

I think the Rossies will be competitive. At least I hope they will because if they are they should be able to get  a decent qualifier run obviously depending on who we draw.

2012 was a not a reflection on the Roscommon senior football panel's real ability. But it set them back significantly.

If we remove that season from the equation there is a panel there of successful underage players who have a bit of physique to add to their football ability. In 2011 they competed effectively with Mayo in the Connaught Final and Tyrone afterwards in the qualifiers.

They've also the  benefit of watching what Mayo did to an unprepared Galway side so they shouldnt be shocked or intimidated by that level of intensity. They've  a fine coach in John Evans. They're roaring underdogs so no pressure to perform. They are on an upward curve.

All that being said this Mayo side are skillful, well conditioned, cynical, mentally strong and consistent. A modern top 4 side with AI ambitions. They'll expect the Rossies to tick all the boxes I've mentioned and won't be fazed in the least.

Mayo by 6 points.

Jaysus Matt, there s a lot of stuff there just doesn t add up.

2012 not a reflection on Ros ability but a performance in 2011 v Mayo during rain and gale might be?

In my experience a good performance in the provincial championship is no indicator of what happens next - regardless of who is drawn.

Galway unprepared? Where did that come from. Respected pundits went with Galway as usual and even the Galway manager had time to spare to boost his business on the back of the fixture. There is no way such a respected manager as Mulholland would not have his team prepared. What could he have missed out on. Mayo have been on the telly a lot, even if you re tied up in the bookies on match days. Am I being cynical - yeah just a little bit.

Which bring me to cynical. People have to be havin a laugh. Maybe people dont know the difference between cynical and desperate. Mayo of course are no where near cynical enough to really cut it at the summit. We re still puppies compared to the pros. We coughed up a big lead v Dublin last year because we were not cynical enough. What was pinged as cynicism later was desperation as a result of injuries and loss of shape, and as important, managements failure to get players to get behind the ball and finish out what should have been a last 20 min. coast. If Doc got that easy goal chance it would have put us 12 ?? points up. But Mayo should not have to keep scoring to win games they re well ahead in.

Hi Moysider. Not trying to be confusing our indeed cute. By way of cynical I mean mean... tough... hard ruthless.... in other words professional so a compliment. Re Galway being unprepared.... well I agree with you that they should'nt have been but that's how they looked to me. Panicky when being hit hard in their own defense as they tried to work the ball out.... weak and tame under the primary and on the breaking ball in midfield.... not prepared to tackle/slow the opposition down up front.

Roscommon under Newton last year under performed. The previous year was more an accurate reflection of their ability IMO.

Not for a moment suggesting they will beat Mayo but a competitive performance will boost confidence for the the qualifiers and they should be punching at a higher level in senior football.

Rossfan

Quote from: ross matt on June 06, 2013, 12:56:03 AM
[Hi Moysider. Not trying to be confusing our indeed cute. By way of cynical I mean mean... tough... hard ruthless.... in other words professional so a compliment.  In other words be like Kerry have been for 80 or 90 years.

Roscommon under Newton last year under performed.  We all know poor Des was way out of date in his methods - it was like a year out for the panel in reality..
Not for a moment suggesting they will beat Mayo but a competitive performance will boost confidence for the the qualifiers. We need a few Qualifier games against mid ranking teams to see where we stand now and to bring on the younger lads

I see the poll on stolensheep is going 3-1 for a Mayowr win. Fair summation of expectations among the faithful. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ballinaman

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2013, 10:33:50 AM
[Hi Moysider. Not trying to be confusing our indeed cute. By way of cynical I mean mean... tough... hard ruthless.... in other words professional so a compliment.  In other words be like Kerry have been for 80 or 90 years.

Roscommon under Newton last year under performed.  We all know poor Des was way out of date in his methods - it was like a year out for the panel in reality..
Not for a moment suggesting they will beat Mayo but a competitive performance will boost confidence for the the qualifiers. We need a few Qualifier games against mid ranking teams to see where we stand now and to bring on the younger lads

I see the poll on stolensheep is going 3-1 for a Mayowr win. Fair summation of expectations among the faithful. :-\
Heard Ros beat Dublin by 3 points on Tuesday. Outside bet for the All Ireland now surely... :P

Rossfan

Quote from: ballinaman on June 06, 2013, 10:39:30 AM

Heard Ros beat Dublin by 3 points on Tuesday. Outside bet for the All Ireland now surely... :P

I'd like to hear the two lineups before laying out your savings Ballina :-*

ballinaman

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2013, 10:45:07 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 06, 2013, 10:39:30 AM

I'd like to hear the two lineups before laying out your savings Ballina :-*
Aye but this is Dublin we are talking about.....they could be out a team of Croke Park stewards and could beat most Division 4 teams such is the strength in depth they have these days.  ;)

Syferus

'Twas five points, these Ros sources seem to be good at sowing misinformation 8)

It was only a development team so I wouldn't start booking summer holidays just yet, bucks.

Farrandeelin

Speaking of stolen sheep. The hoors won't allow me access it. Was it something I did? :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2013, 05:31:54 PM
Speaking of stolen sheep. The hoors won't allow me access it. Was it something I did? :P

ProBoards updated their whole infrastructure and you need to sign in again. Given we have no one with the power to change the colour scheme it's now coated in a lovely Waterford blue.

southsidejohnny

Former Mayo All Ireland winner 1950/51 Mick Mulderrig passed away in Rathfarnham this week. Mick won his first senior medal at 19, same year as he won a Railway cup medal. One of natures gentlemen, Mick never blew but when he stepped down at 25 from inter county football his name was enshrined in the annals of mayo football. A Dheis de ar a ainm dilĂ­s.

Farrandeelin

So upsets happen, see Limerick today. I'm sure Roscommon will use that game today to beat Mayo. The Limerick game started at 4pm today too. Mayo v Ros throws in at 4pm next week... :o

However, hopefully that game will show Mayo that being favourites in bookies etc stands for nothing once you take the field of play. Hopefully I'll be smiling this time next week.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2013, 08:56:14 PM
So upsets happen, see Limerick today. I'm sure Roscommon will use that game today to beat Mayo. The Limerick game started at 4pm today too. Mayo v Ros throws in at 4pm next week... :o

However, hopefully that game will show Mayo that being favourites in bookies etc stands for nothing once you take the field of play. Hopefully I'll be smiling this time next week.

I plan to be be at my most drunk and most annoying this time next week, win, lose or draw.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on June 09, 2013, 10:40:42 PM

I plan to be be at my most ..... annoying this time next week.

You're that way ALL THE EFFIN TIME

larryin89

Yeah, its a major advantage to Ross having it at 4pm. Mayo will not cope with it being at that time of the evening.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .