Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

ballinaman

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 05, 2013, 07:47:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 04, 2013, 11:50:11 AM
I was told before by a member of the panel that Richie is the most accurate foot passer on the team in training always. Like him myself, always puts his shoulder to the wheel and is a great team player, off the bench or from the start, never complains and does his best.

I missed the word in bold first time I read this, and was thinkin "Ya cocky wee bollox"!!!
;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on June 04, 2013, 11:03:39 AM
Lar I think he sees Richie as both an impact sub in the half-forward line and a solid sub for the half backs.

I don't see him starting him in the half forwards but he is certainly intelligent and useful enough to do damage on tiring half backs in the second half. James may just be giving him game time as an orthodox forward as he never really played there for club or underage for Mayo.

As McStay might put it, Richie has added an extra dimension to his game in recent times. As a half back, I felt he was a good stand in if the likes of, say,  Boyle or Barrett got injured or tired but that would be the height of it; a good journeyman but certainly no playmaker.
But when he began to play up front, I was struck by his ability to look around and consider his options before passing along to a better placed colleague. I'm not surprised that he is regarded as the best foot passer on the panel.
Maybe he's not a Ciaran Mac but he is the best distributor we've had since. He could develop into a top class CF if given the chance to settle in there.
With Cillian out of the picture, I don't see a natural replacement amongst the front runners for the no. 11 spot.
Put Alan and Kevin on either side of Richie and the sheepophiles won't know what hit them! :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

So a question for ye rhubarbs - what will ye're winning margin be? :-\
I think we'll be doing well if we keep it in single figures( points not goals  :().
I would consider it a good day's work and very promising if we get within 6.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2013, 12:16:37 PM
So a question for ye rhubarbs - what will ye're winning margin be? :-\
I think we'll be doing well if we keep it in single figures( points not goals  :().
I would consider it a good day's work and very promising if we get within 6.

I d say that you re in a better position to make predictions yourself. You d have seen a lot more of Mayo than we would of Ros.

weareros

It's high time we bate Mayo in Castlebar. It will be going on thirty years and that should be a source of great shame for every proud Roscommon man and woman who has ever worn the famous primrose and blue. Up until 1991 when Derekeen scored that last second free to equalise from 60 yards against a gaelforce wind and big McHale with his hands up trying to swat it down and I was standing on the embankment so it's no exaggeration, Mayo could not beat us in Castlebar even if you gave them a big stick. Even in 89. Let's not go there beaten before the ball is even thrown in like we did for the All-Ireland qtr final in 2001 because that will only end one way. And remember the last time we won in Castlebar in 1986, sure Mayo had the All-Ireland won that year after their heroics against Dublin the year before. Tony Mac had other ideas. One good man who believes can change fate and history too.

moysider

Quote from: weareros on June 05, 2013, 01:55:23 PM
It's high time we bate Mayo in Castlebar. It will be going on thirty years and that should be a source of great shame for every proud Roscommon man and woman who has ever worn the famous primrose and blue. Up until 1991 when Derekeen scored that last second free to equalise from 60 yards against a gaelforce wind and big McHale with his hands up trying to swat it down and I was standing on the embankment so it's no exaggeration, Mayo could not beat us in Castlebar even if you gave them a big stick. Even in 89. Let's not go there beaten before the ball is even thrown in like we did for the All-Ireland qtr final in 2001 because that will only end one way. And remember the last time we won in Castlebar in 1986, sure Mayo had the All-Ireland won that year after their heroics against Dublin the year before. Tony Mac had other ideas. One good man who believes can change fate and history too.

Now we re talkin! That s more like the Roscommon I remember.

ballinaman

Yeeeeow. Up the field Ros!

Syferus

Will the Mayo team start ripping toilet seats off hinges in Castlebar if they win or do they save that for special occasions like Connacht finals?

We need to win if only to save the jacks at the Hyde, they're in a bad enough state already without letting Mayo near them again.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on June 05, 2013, 02:36:27 PM
Will the Mayo team start ripping toilet seats off hinges in Castlebar if they win or do they save that for special occasions like Connacht finals?

We need to win if only to save the jacks at the Hyde, they're in a bad enough state already without letting Mayo near them again.
aysus, what are ye on about now?
I never knew there were toilet seats in the sheep pen Hyde to begin with.
I'll tell ye one thing: The Mayo lads won't go running about in the nip and wrecking some bloody hotel while they're at it. ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ballinaman on June 05, 2013, 02:01:52 PM
Yeeeeow. Up the field Ros!
Yes and the further, the better!

Tubberman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 05, 2013, 02:55:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 05, 2013, 02:36:27 PM

aysus, what are ye on about now?
I never knew there were toilet seats in the sheep pen Hyde to begin with.
I'll tell ye one thing: The Mayo lads won't go running about in the nip and wrecking some bloody hotel while they're at it. ;D

And that was when the Rossies were a decent team! Ever since they tried to act disciplined, they've been a disaster. Just not in their nature.
Time to revert to your natural state lads.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

I don't remember. I was born in 1987!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 05, 2013, 04:18:26 PM

I don't remember. I was born in 1987!

Sure it's about time you see something new, eh?

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 05, 2013, 02:55:14 PM
Is that the best ya can do? Going back 11 years to a bit of high spirited buffoonery ?

At least no matter what happens on the football field we always know that when we wake up the next morning we'll still be God's chosen race and ye'll still be smelly goatherders from the snipe grass. :P
I nearly feel sorry for ye .....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Would love to boldly predict a turn up for the books here but I just feel the result is not in any doubt. Mayo to win. The only doubt is by how much.

I think the Rossies will be competitive. At least I hope they will because if they are they should be able to get  a decent qualifier run obviously depending on who we draw.

2012 was a not a reflection on the Roscommon senior football panel's real ability. But it set them back significantly.

If we remove that season from the equation there is a panel there of successful underage players who have a bit of physique to add to their football ability. In 2011 they competed effectively with Mayo in the Connaught Final and Tyrone afterwards in the qualifiers.

They've also the  benefit of watching what Mayo did to an unprepared Galway side so they shouldnt be shocked or intimidated by that level of intensity. They've  a fine coach in John Evans. They're roaring underdogs so no pressure to perform. They are on an upward curve.

All that being said this Mayo side are skillful, well conditioned, cynical, mentally strong and consistent. A modern top 4 side with AI ambitions. They'll expect the Rossies to tick all the boxes I've mentioned and won't be fazed in the least.

Mayo by 6 points.