Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on June 03, 2013, 05:50:49 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2013, 05:38:37 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 03, 2013, 05:27:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2013, 04:24:09 PM
We had a challenge match too but I'm under orders from the Ros Horse not to divulge details to the enemy. 'Twas a lovely day, mind.

Beat Brigids by seven points?

Nope  8)

It must of been London, hence your refusal to reveal the opposition.

Eight points :-X

Farrandeelin

Couldn't get in. Was cutting a field of grass instead. Thanks to all for the info.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

We had a challenge match too but I'm under orders from the Ros Horse not to divulge details to the enemy. 'Twas a lovely day, mind.

By all accounts the Brids exposed a lot of our shortcomings  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 03, 2013, 09:09:12 PM

'Twas good to see Senan finding the target and Mango was all-action in the middle. At least after this challenge match we can choose the lads we like from the other team ;)

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2013, 09:23:24 PM

'Twas good to see Senan finding the target and Mango was all-action in the middle. At least after this challenge match we can choose the lads we like from the other team ;)

Senan Kilbride will be the one man we have to keep quiet, i was very impressed with him in club final, so much so i thought horan might try and get him to tog for Mayo under the father rule.
But seriously we have been suspect at times under the high ball into our fb line, i expect the ross to try this all day. I'm hoping S. Mchale starts instead of Keane tbh.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on June 03, 2013, 09:30:57 PM

Senan Kilbride will be the one man we have to keep quiet, i was very impressed with him in club final, so much so i thought horan might try and get him to tog for Mayo under the father rule.
But seriously we have been suspect at times under the high ball into our fb line, i expect the ross to try this all day. I'm hoping S. Mchale starts instead of Keane tbh.

I'd say the Mayo full back line will be K Higgins, G Cafferkey,T Cunniffe. Do Roscommon have a player that can supply that right ball into Kilbride like Frankie Dolan does for St Brigids?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 03, 2013, 09:50:18 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 03, 2013, 09:30:57 PM

I'd say the Mayo full back line will be K Higgins, G Cafferkey,T Cunniffe. Do Roscommon have a player that can supply that right ball into Kilbride like Frankie Dolan does for St Brigids?

Frankie actually played far closer to goal than before this year, there wasn't much of Frankie playmaking for Senan even if he obviously can do it.

We have playmakers in the two Dalys at HB but they're only talented tykes at the moment. Cregger is the HF that's going to burst a lung trying to make things happen. The other two names in that line will be probably the most interesting thing on our starting line-up.

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 03, 2013, 03:21:51 PM
Mayo v cavan in ballina mayo :

o malley ,

keane,mchale ,cunniffe ,
vaughan ,boyle ,burke,

a o shea ,gibbons ,

mcloughlin,feeney ,carolan ,
coen ,freeman ,Moran.

Full time Mayo 5-12 Cavan 0-16

Not at the game. Got info from a friend.

The subs were;
Michael Walsh (impressed imo) for Cunniffe.
Murphy for Carolan
Rogers for Boyle ( Boyle lost his balance on a run and fell into tackle and was lucky not to get a more serious belt)
Regan for Moran
Harrison ( looked very comfortable) for Vaughan.

Hard to know what changes may be made for Ros game except for Cillian O Connor not figuring. Today we shanked 2 easy frees wide btw.

Cafferkey, Higgins and 1 from Keane, McHale and Cunniffe depending who suits whats needed best. All 3 had their hands full today which is a good thing. It should bring them on a bit. They had to manage 1 on 1 and there was a lot of decent ball going in. I expect Caff to pick up Kilbride.

Keegan, Boyle and Burke or Boyle Keegan Burke would be the best balanced hb line but Vaughan wont be dropped because in fairness he makes runs and stuff that can really damage the opposition.

No 11 is the question with Cillian out. I d prefer to see Dillon play inside where Andy will start with Varley.

Gibbons did ok today. Maybe play the 2 O Sés and Gibbons or a fit Barry Mór. Temptation to play McLoughlin as an 11 and see can he be as effective.

Lar Naparka

I see Freeney was selected at CHF vs Cavan.  I'd been expecting for some time that he'd be tried out there. James seems to be experimenting with a number of combinations up front and of late Richie has been used as a forward when he comes in.
I think he's quite good as a forager and finisher and he appears to have good all round vision and can sum up his options better than most. He may not be the one to cover Cillian's absence but my guess is that he's in with a good shout.
Alan Freeman seems to be the preferred option at full forward. He's certainly got plenty of chances to prove that he can fit into the general game plan.
IMO, he had fairly decent game against Galway and I feel he will start at FF against Roscommon with Andy playing in the corner.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Lar I think he sees Richie as both an impact sub in the half-forward line and a solid sub for the half backs.

I don't see him starting him in the half forwards but he is certainly intelligent and useful enough to do damage on tiring half backs in the second half. James may just be giving him game time as an orthodox forward as he never really played there for club or underage for Mayo.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

I was told before by a member of the panel that Richie is the most accurate foot passer on the team in training always. Like him myself, always puts his shoulder to the wheel and is a great team player, off the bench or from the start, never complains and does his best.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 04, 2013, 10:16:46 AM
I see Freeney was selected at CHF vs Cavan.  I'd been expecting for some time that he'd be tried out there. James seems to be experimenting with a number of combinations up front and of late Richie has been used as a forward when he comes in.
I think he's quite good as a forager and finisher and he appears to have good all round vision and can sum up his options better than most. He may not be the one to cover Cillian's absence but my guess is that he's in with a good shout.
Alan Freeman seems to be the preferred option at full forward. He's certainly got plenty of chances to prove that he can fit into the general game plan.
IMO, he had fairly decent game against Galway and I feel he will start at FF against Roscommon with Andy playing in the corner.

I wouldn t read too much into yesterday s selection to be honest. Likes of Dillon more likely to return to the half forward line.

moysider

Quote from: Westside on June 03, 2013, 03:52:24 PM
Anyone know who was playing midfield for Cavan?

There was no programme and I m not very familiar with Cavan players - but in fairness it looks like Cavan have loads to be going on with, from what I saw the last day.

Apparently, the boys in the press were given Cavan team sheets while the rest of us were subjected to a rapid-fire pa. The best I could do was count the no. of Reillys on the second team!

Anyway, hope this is a bit of help.

Cavan (first half)
A O'Mara; J McLoughlin, R Dunne (0-1), D Tighe (0-1); O Minagh, A Clarke, F Flannagan; D McKernan (0-1), M Leddy; C Makey, J Brady, M Reilly (0-2); R Flanagan, K Tierney (0-2), M Dunne (0-2).

Cavan (second half)
J Reilly; J Hayes, C Brady, D Markey; P Reilly, K Meehan, M Brady; D Reilly, J McCutchion; N Murney, N McDermott (0-3), C Conroy; D McVitty (0-1), E Keating (0-2), B Reilly (0-1).
Subs used: D Sheridan, M McKeever, D Givney.

Best of look to Cavan going on. Liked the way they went about their stuff and the way management  used their panel. Obviously going about things the right way.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 05, 2013, 12:57:55 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 03, 2013, 03:52:24 PM
Anyone know who was playing midfield for Cavan?

There was no programme and I m not very familiar with Cavan players - but in fairness it looks like Cavan have loads to be going on with, from what I saw the last day.

Apparently, the boys in the press were given Cavan team sheets while the rest of us were subjected to a rapid-fire pa. The best I could do was count the no. of Reillys on the second team!

Anyway, hope this is a bit of help.

Cavan (first half)
A O'Mara; J McLoughlin, R Dunne (0-1), D Tighe (0-1); O Minagh, A Clarke, F Flannagan; D McKernan (0-1), M Leddy; C Makey, J Brady, M Reilly (0-2); R Flanagan, K Tierney (0-2), M Dunne (0-2).

Cavan (second half)
J Reilly; J Hayes, C Brady, D Markey; P Reilly, K Meehan, M Brady; D Reilly, J McCutchion; N Murney, N McDermott (0-3), C Conroy; D McVitty (0-1), E Keating (0-2), B Reilly (0-1).
Subs used: D Sheridan, M McKeever, D Givney.

Best of look to Cavan going on. Liked the way they went about their stuff and the way management  used their panel. Obviously going about things the right way.

Pitch openings are much better organised in Ros. Mike Denver was even on hand on Friday night in Croan's to sing a few mighty ballads and, sure, that's not the half of it. Even the first game on Sunday (a club match) had full extended panel listings in the luxurious A4-sized program.

Omious signs for Stephenites, nearly relegated and now they can't even afford a few photo-copies :-X

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ballinaman on June 04, 2013, 11:50:11 AM
I was told before by a member of the panel that Richie is the most accurate foot passer on the team in training always. Like him myself, always puts his shoulder to the wheel and is a great team player, off the bench or from the start, never complains and does his best.

I missed the word in bold first time I read this, and was thinkin "Ya cocky wee bollox"!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre