Mayo vs. Roscommon Connacht SFC Semi-final (June 16th, McHale Park)

Started by Syferus, May 19, 2013, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much will Roscommon win by?

1-3 points
4-6 points
I really wish I was born a Rossie

larryin89

Well maybe so to an extent , i still don't see why outsiders would be arguing with passion about his comeback date.

Rival?Roscommon are not really rivals anymore, it reminds a bit of Man United and Leeds rivalry , one side has stretched so far ahead, the rivalry is just a distant memory.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Larryin89. We were ahead of Galway in the 50s. They came and overtook us in the 60s as far as I know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 02, 2013, 08:16:39 AM
Larryin89. We were ahead of Galway in the 50s. They came and overtook us in the 60s as far as I know.
You are right; Mayo had won a lot more than Galway right up to the mid-50s.
I think the tally was Mayo 26 or 27 and the heron chokers had only 15.
Even at that, one of the 15 was awarded to the them bustards when Mayo wuz robbed on a mere technicality.
(Can't remember what it was but we were in the right anyhow.)
The mid-50s saw the beginning of the Stockwell – Purcell era and Galway soon began to make inroads on our lead.
From '56 to '80 Galway won 15 and Mayo only two.
From then til now, the score has been much closer, Mayo have 14  I think and Galway have 11.
Not 100% sure about my figures but I know I'm not far out in my reckoning. (It's Sunday morning and I haven't had my first coffee yet so I still haven't sorted out my arse from my elbow. I'll sharpen up a bit anon.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 02, 2013, 09:58:07 AM
Even at that, one of the 15 was awarded to the them bustards when Mayo wuz robbed on a mere technicality.
The mid-50s saw the beginning of the Stockwell – Purcell era and Galway soon began to make inroads on our lead.
From then til now, the score has been much closer, Mayo have 14  I think and Galway have 11.
Not 100% sure about my figures but I know I'm not far out in my reckoning. (It's Sunday morning and I haven't had my first coffee yet so I still haven't sorted out my arse from my elbow. I'll sharpen up a bit anon.)

People talk about the bad modern days with Mayo football. I throw them that stat and they just gasp that we could only win 2 Connachts in 25 years and none in the 70's!

muppet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1925_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

Mayo won the semi and the other semi finalists were disqualified.

Mayo were declared Champions.

Galway hadn't played in the Connacht Championship and agreed to play a Connacht Final afterwards. Mayo understood, and had assurances from Galway, Connacht and Dublin, that it was of no consequence as the Championship was over and didn't even send a full team. Galway won and little was thought of it until Croke Park (or wherever) announced sometime later that as a result of that match Galway were the All-Ireland Champions.

And so it began.
MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

Quote from: larryin89 on June 02, 2013, 01:33:44 AM
Hi there all. First time posting here.

In relation to CoC , isn't amazing how many different time frames for his recovery, you can hear in a couple of days. I mean who is telling the truth , the man in the local pub, the poster on hoganstand, the poster on the mayo gaa blog, mid west?

I  do try to figure out why people would tend to lie on such matters as obviously some are telling blatant lies.And then you have these concerned roscommon men, about him rushing back, i dont get that either , as if you give a shit and these people that are under the illusion that Cillian himself is going to take the decision without top advice, what is that all about.

Onto the game itself, i don't see much of a test coming from the stealers , they are bit wet round the lugs for us high flying seasoned first divisioners.

If Mayo win the provincial championship , as a matter of interest will it be the first time in history where we stand above Galway in the provincial roll of honour?
don't you know Larry that this keyboard addict
is an expert on everything and his advice supercedes ANY other advice
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

larryin89

Re the 70s and not winning a connacht title. I was only born in the latter part of said decade, so i dont know why this was the case but i am always interested in hearing why.

I read in the western a couple of weeks ago an article that was looking back on the Belmullet team that won the intermediate championship, it indicted in this article that there was a bias in the county set up in that they ignored north Mayo club players for selection. Is there truth in that. I realise this is off topic but sure its two weeks away for this game anyways.

Win the league in 1970,the u21 AI in 67 and 74 and a minor in 66/71 qnd 78.
Connacht minors winners in  66, '71, '73, '74, '77, '78, '79,.
Connacht u21 winners in,1967, '68, '70, '71, '73, '74, '75, '76.
I find it mind boggling to think we never managed a senior provincial in this period.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: larryin89 on June 02, 2013, 10:37:31 AM
Re the 70s and not winning a connacht title. I was only born in the latter part of said decade, so i dont know why this was the case but i am always interested in hearing why.

I read in the western a couple of weeks ago an article that was looking back on the Belmullet team that won the intermediate championship, it indicted in this article that there was a bias in the county set up in that they ignored north Mayo club players for selection. Is there truth in that. I realise this is off topic but sure its two weeks away for this game anyways.

I find it mind boggling to think we never managed a senior provincial in this period.

Hasn't it been the same way since!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 02, 2013, 10:17:33 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1925_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

Mayo won the semi and the other semi finalists were disqualified.

Mayo were declared Champions.

Galway hadn't played in the Connacht Championship and agreed to play a Connacht Final afterwards. Mayo understood, and had assurances from Galway, Connacht and Dublin, that it was of no consequence as the Championship was over and didn't even send a full team. Galway won and little was thought of it until Croke Park (or wherever) announced sometime later that as a result of that match Galway were the All-Ireland Champions.

And so it began.

Bastards. And the Donnellans got going then and that was the end of it.   

From the Bunker

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 02, 2013, 10:42:35 AM

Not really. Under Horan there as been a drop in the amount of North Mayo Players, but in the 90's and 00's Mayo teams were dominated with players from North Mayo. Personally, i don't look at the North, South, East, West thing. We are all from Mayo.

seafoid

In 1952 Mayo had 3 all Irelands and Galway had 3 all Irelands.
Since then Galway have won 6 and Mayo have yet to register.

Hopefully this Mayo team can get a new era going. 

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 02, 2013, 10:42:35 AM

There is always a bias felt somewhere. Intermediate Champions probably isn't the best argument. Senior Champions or regular contenders at Senior maybe. Knockmore in the late 1990s for example.
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Well in fairness to that article, it did say the champions of all three grades that year had no representation on county panel. I can't remember the clubs but all were from north Mayo.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2013, 11:09:53 AM
In 1952 Mayo had 3 all Irelands and Galway had 3 all Irelands.
Since then Galway have won 6 and Mayo have yet to register.

Hopefully this Mayo team can get a new era going. 

True and if you add in both counties league count at the time (the league really mattered back then), Mayo were well ahead of Galway.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

larryin89

Sounds like some second half performance by Mayo today, i didn't make it myself but it sounds awesome, goals galore.

Anyone at it from in here?