Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Lotto your nuts but you will be a laugh. Kilcoo and Bridge through to the quarters will CPN and Burren join them? Ballyholland first team out but the do have a great youth system so it will be interesting if SP stays and brings through the outstanding talent. Any more word on the manager they would be wise to get it done for next weekend as 12 teams are still involved in both the senior and intermediate championship.

downjim

Poacher has left harps according to Twitter

Smurfy123

Did he get the Cavan job?
Confirmed?

thebar

Quote from: JimmyFloydMay123 on August 18, 2018, 12:49:49 AM
Good performance from the Bridge, I'd say most likely finalists along side kilcoo. Annett looks like some player, wouldn't be surprised if universities and clubs from over the water are fighting for him in the next few years.

Bridge won but I thought they looked very average...Saval stayed with them for long periods and went a point ahead half way through the second half but the 2nd bridge goal was vital when there was nothing between the sides. Agree Annett does look like a decent one and hes quick too...nice footballer. Saval will put it up to most and wouldnt rule them out of progressing further. The bridge are hit and miss...to me they look like a team searching for there best 15 and still haven't found them yet.

Smurfy123

The bridge loook very fit and well organised but the struggle to put the ball over the bar. That's 2 weeks in a row where there forwards squandered easy scoring chances. Looking at the final 8 you would be thinking Kilcoo CPN Burren Bridge Loughinisland Clonduff Ford Castlewellan

downjim

If the Bridge could convert their scores they would win most games with ease, Saval threw  everything at them but they still were six points off. Madine was well marshalled last night but McCarthy in midfield for Saval was strong.

Lotto

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 18, 2018, 09:47:45 AM
Did he get the Cavan job?
Confirmed?

No

Michael Graham proposed as Cavan Manager
Cavan County Board Management Committee last night ratified Michael Graham as the new Senior Football Team Manager. The committee are proposing Michael for ratification by county committee on Mon evening.
- Official Cavan GAA (@CavanCoBoardGaa) August 18, 2018

johnnycool

Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2018, 10:47:13 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2018, 08:00:33 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on July 29, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
I don't disagree that we are a long way off hard but I'm saying it is possible to make the super 8s. It will be hard to break into it but I believe one outsider will make it every year and possibly 2.
Limerick have not been a long way off making an All Ireland final. That's the point. Your comparison was nonsense.
.Plus the professionalism of the Limerick hurlers and the backroom team leaves Down in the ha'penny place.
Do a bit of research on them. Kielty, kinnerk and Co are serious operators funded by a certain JP McManus .
We're light years away

It's all about the ££££€€€€€€€

And a well defined process of improving participation rates at schools levels;

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/how-success-of-munster-rugby-saved-limerick-hurling-37217211.html

Aristo 60

Thought that myself once I heard the victory speech yesterday.

We may not have a JP but at least we have FD  :)

terrifictommy

Red Mourne - Surely the simple fact that everyone on here has anonymity defeats your point! I very much doubt all the opinions on here are shared with those who are the brunt of them.

On Poacher - A talented coach but I'm not sure he's the lead figure, could do very well as part of a Down set up.

Championship - Kilcoo streets ahead from the games I've seen.

upandwin

From what I saw at the weekend, this championship can be won by 3/4 clubs. The town have no one to blame but themselves for not winning on Friday night, and while Kilcoo definitely have another gear, so do most other clubs that played at the weekend. Burren never tested but Liam Kerr could be the man to make the difference in bigger games. CPN were average at best but still think they have a couple of gears more in them and Glenn are never easily beaten. Mayobridge haven't totally convinced me and I do think they're lacking one or two forwards from being excellent. Prediction for last 8: Burren vrs Bryansford CPN vrs RGU, Bridge vrs Loughinisland and Kilcoo vrs Castlewellan. Kilcoo-Burren final again.

downjim

It should be the four quarter finalists into the semis and then it's the luck of the draw. CPN were not grear in Saturday and failed to cope with men behind the ball.

elk

Quote from: downjim on August 20, 2018, 02:48:04 PM
It should be the four quarter finalists into the semis and then it's the luck of the draw. CPN were not grear in Saturday and failed to cope with men behind the ball.
CPN definitely did struggle with the packed defense but Glenn started to tire in the second half and CPN took over until that strange goal at the end but CPN's fitness told in extra time. Have to say I was disappointed with the performances of the 3 Down men for Glenn and the one for CPN, did not stand out in a very ordinary game.

Hedgehunter

Quote from: elk on August 20, 2018, 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: downjim on August 20, 2018, 02:48:04 PM
CPN definitely did struggle with the packed defense but Glenn started to tire in the second half and CPN took over until that strange goal at the end but CPN's fitness told in extra time. Have to say I was disappointed with the performances of the 3 Down men for Glenn and the one for CPN, did not stand out in a very ordinary game.

Yes Glenn did tire towards the end, thought Ronan Millar and Gary McMahon were very good. McMahon most certainly saved CPN though in the 60mins. Although a tight game he saved 2 almost certain goals and good accurate kicking. Glenn's lack of depth showed in the end as they had very little to come on and freshen things up where as CPN did. We can definitely take credit from our 2 championship performances to date considering our severely indifferent league form.

maldini

Thought they should have cut and lined out Pairc Esler before the championship games there tonight