Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: trailer on August 07, 2018, 05:10:59 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 07, 2018, 04:51:04 PM
What am I deluded about?

Your allegiance to a money making corporation. It's like supporting Microsoft or something. It's just weird.

I have an allegiance to a football team, the rest is incidental. #onelifeoneclub

pretty much all soccer teams fall into the same category by the way..

magpie seanie

Boycey is not one bit deluded and I would guess not very happy with the story. However - and I'm not sure if that's a direct quote from Woodward or a Glazer - that is the way most soccer club executives think.

DuffleKing

If you don't accept that all these clubs are cynical, commerce first entities then you don't belong in this conversation.

Occasionally it works from a PR perspective to push the community work, playing philosophy or tradition as part of the culture that drives the machine. There are no exceptions to this at the top end of soccer - or any professional sport.

Back with the football... I have long ago accepted that vortuslly noone that matters in the game shares my desire that how you play is as important as the end result. Once you accept that you can assess what you're watching more realistically and can appreciate that it in this area that Jose gets the best return.

yellowcard

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 07, 2018, 09:44:56 PM

If you don't accept that all these clubs are cynical, commerce first entities then you don't belong in this conversation.

Occasionally it works from a PR perspective to push the community work, playing philosophy or tradition as part of the culture that drives the machine. There are no exceptions to this at the top end of soccer - or any professional sport.

Back with the football... I have long ago accepted that vortuslly noone that matters in the game shares my desire that how you play is as important as the end result. Once you accept that you can assess what you're watching more realistically and can appreciate that it in this area that Jose gets the best return.

The same is true of any sport not just soccer. If Mourinho was getting results with his agricultural football he would be lauded as a tactical genius, instead he is under increasing attack.

In fairness nobody can argue with his managerial record (his is up there with any manager of the last 20 years) but he has never played attractive football and combine that with his general off field behavior and surly demeanor and it is easy to see how many have never seen him as a good fit for Man Utd.

trailer

I accept that all clubs are cynical, commerce first entities. Utd are the worst by a long way though. I am/ was a Utd fan, but I don't recognise what I am seeing. The first thing anyone in a non footballing role at any of these clubs, cares about is money. Trophies, results, fans etc are way down the list.
I never get why fans worry about the cost of players. If I was a real fan, I'd want them to spend £100m on Ronaldo and £300m Messi, f**k it buy Neymar too for £500m. It's not my money.

Mourhino is a spoilt child. His Daddy (Woodward) won't spend whatever on whoever and he's throwing a tantrum in the shop.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trailer on August 08, 2018, 08:47:48 AM

I accept that all clubs are cynical, commerce first entities. Utd are the worst by a long way though. I am/ was a Utd fan, but I don't recognise what I am seeing. The first thing anyone in a non footballing role at any of these clubs, cares about is money. Trophies, results, fans etc are way down the list.
I never get why fans worry about the cost of players. If I was a real fan, I'd want them to spend £100m on Ronaldo and £300m Messi, f**k it buy Neymar too for £500m. It's not my money.

Mourhino is a spoilt child. His Daddy (Woodward) won't spend whatever on whoever and he's throwing a tantrum in the shop.

Leeds United.

Fans worry about overspending on players because financial mismanagement can lead to serious issues in the club.

I realise Man Untd are probably immune to that, but in general, that's why fans worry.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: trailer on August 08, 2018, 08:47:48 AM

He hasn't a clue what he is doing and how he is still in that role over transfers shows those at the top in Manchester United haven't a clue either.

Boycey

Quite the opposite, he's brilliant at his job

Denn Forever

QuoteI never get why fans worry about the cost of players. If I was a real fan, I'd want them to spend £100m on Ronaldo and £300m Messi, f**k it buy Neymar too for £500m. It's not my money.

Say hello to your new Financial Controller.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Boycey on August 08, 2018, 04:39:47 PM
Commercial and media operations is his area. He has no clue on the transfer market and clubs selling players to him know this.

Boycey

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 08, 2018, 05:08:38 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 08, 2018, 04:39:47 PM
Commercial and media operations is his area. He has no clue on the transfer market and clubs selling players to him know this.

You know the point I'm trying to make.

BennyCake

I don't think I've ever been less excited about the new season approaching.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on August 08, 2018, 05:49:24 PM
I don't think I've ever been less excited about the new season approaching.

I think this is shared by a larger number of United supporters than ever. And it gives me no joy to say that.

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2018, 12:24:41 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 07, 2018, 12:18:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2018, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 07, 2018, 11:52:23 AM
Maybe if people stop blindly calling for support for Mourinho I won't feel the need to reply.

I was one who'd called for Jose to come at the start, i.e when Fergie left, Jose would have steadied the ship and possibly left the place with better players ...

As it is he's come in after the two clampits and steadied the ship, yes we can all agree that the football isnt great, I haven't really heard anyone say they are happy with the style, yes the couple of Cups and getting back into CL (albeit a let down v Seville) does wonders, but its papering over cracks, though I wouldnt be a fan of ZZ either.. I don't think there is anyone available at the moment that would win the leauge, as Utd is that far behind City

As a player or manager?

And why?

As a player? wind your neck in, the topic is about managers, he's past his best a footballer..

As a manager he's been with a team of superstars and achieved lots, the 3 CL wins was great, but only one La Liga, I'd much prefer to see him with a regular team first and see how he operates with a smaller budget.. Not unlike Jose, though Jose did it all with Porto, with a 10th of a budget ZZ had

:o
Jesus f**k I was asking why you aren't a fan of his.

Can't understand the issue anyone would have with him as manager considering what he has achieved in 3 seasons

screenexile

Tick tock tick tock...

Is there anyone Utd can bring in today that will make a difference??

Liverpool & Arsenal have improved their squads while Chelsea have a new manager and given City's youth and a manager constantly tweaking and improving the system you'd have to expect they will be better again!

Can United go better than last season?? Hopefully not  ;D