Tax Question

Started by lfdown2, June 12, 2009, 10:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

Wonder can any of ye kind people help;

Was working with my last employer up until september last year, when I left they realised they had overpaid me and where going to hold my p45, no bother thought I so I filled in a p60 and have been arguing ever since with the crowd about payment plans and the like, so started with a new firm in October and all fine until I got a letter yesterday from the tax man saying that they see I am driving a company car and as far as they are concerned I am employed by 2 companies, therefore one of the earning would have to be put on a different tax code, any ideas what I can do?

Cheers,

A Quinn Martin Production

Are you in the North or South??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Rois

Right Ifdown, there's a few cloudy details in there.
1. Your last employer overpaid you?  Do you think you were overpaid?  Issue is that you have no P45, but do you have regular income from this former employer?
2. You are driving a company car which is taxable.  Is this from your new employer?  
3. What do you mean by "one of the earnings"?  Back to the question whether you have two regular income streams.  

Is there any element of income that you haven't paid tax on?  Company car maybe?  In that instance, you owe them money, so they'd change the code to claw back the tax.

(am assuming you're in UK as you mention P45 and P60s)

lfdown2

Quote from: Rois on June 12, 2009, 10:44:46 AM
Right Ifdown, there's a few cloudy details in there.
1. Your last employer overpaid you?  Do you think you were overpaid?  Issue is that you have no P45, but do you have regular income from this former employer?
2. You are driving a company car which is taxable.  Is this from your new employer?  
3. What do you mean by "one of the earnings"?  Back to the question whether you have two regular income streams.  

Is there any element of income that you haven't paid tax on?  Company car maybe?  In that instance, you owe them money, so they'd change the code to claw back the tax.

(am assuming you're in UK as you mention P45 and P60s)

1. Yes i know i was overpaid, arguing at the minute over how much i pay them back per month, I ceased employment with them in September and they say they wont release the P45 until i pay this back. Therefore no regular income from former employer.
2. Yes car is from new employer and I am paying tax on the personal mileage.
3. Didnt put that the best way, they say that it is their assumption that I am employed by 2 companies (which I am not) and therefore one of the jobs would have to be taxed at a higher rate.
4. As above as far as im concerned there is no element I havnt paid tax on as am pay tax for the car.

Thanks,

playwiththewind1st

Fill in a P46 in respect of the new company, indicating that the current employment is your only or main job now.

Write to HMRC & tell them that your ex-employer will not release a P45.....they might decide to inspect them!

lfdown2

cheers for the help folks