Stuff you would do if money was no object

Started by seafoid, January 19, 2016, 02:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 19, 2016, 03:39:40 PM
Seafoid's grand lads, not comparable to the Big T.

It's the Fearonesque tendencies that need sorting. Maybe it's not an assassin we need...

Boycey

A friend of mine has an apartment in a village in rural Northern Spain that I've been to a few times, I'd love to spend a year there to see how I'd get on. Very few of the locals speak English or indeed have any interest in trying, its great craic trying to order food in a restaurant that has no menu and my Spanish as good as their English but I love the pace of life there and would like to give it a go some day..

seafoid

Start a business where people would come in contact with interesting thinkers and start thinking for themselves.
Fix the Mayo last 5 minutes problem

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on January 19, 2016, 03:44:41 PM
I'd buy a villa on a mountain in Tuscany, hire a chef to make me Italian food 5 days a week, on the other 2 I'd motor the Maserati to restaurants there abouts. I also hire Jamie Clarke to make me coffee and have the odd bunga bunga party for all Gaaboarders.

:D :D :D :D :D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2016, 04:07:24 PM
Fix the Mayo last 5 minutes problem

Money doesn't produce miracles that big you know!!

GJL

seafoid

Bring 12 counties up to competitive hurling standard
Revamp the teaching of Irish

Puckoon

Quote from: laoislad on January 19, 2016, 02:43:41 PM
Spend a few months travelling and eating in everyone of the restaurants featured in Diners Drive-ins and Dives

We've one here, it is pure muck! Even when you're steaming.

The Iceman

I think we all underestimate what we can do today with the money we have. There's travel experiences and adventures on our own back doors if we got off our arses and went out.
Trips don't cost as much as you think and there are so many roads you can go down to save money: house swaps, RV rentals, camping - all over the world.  Granted it's harder with kids but we manage to take 4 away somewhere every year (last year we did a 8 day road trip all over the state of Oregon and visited a National Park. Kids had a blast, so did we.

If money was no object I would own property in multiple continents and travel back and forth depending on the weather and make them available to friends and family.  I'd become fluent in another language or two and become a better cook and spend more time with my parents and extended family creating memories and enjoying happier times

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

JohnDenver

Quote from: The Iceman on January 19, 2016, 05:28:19 PM
I think we all underestimate what we can do today with the money we have. There's travel experiences and adventures on our own back doors if we got off our arses and went out.
Trips don't cost as much as you think and there are so many roads you can go down to save money: house swaps, RV rentals, camping - all over the world.  Granted it's harder with kids but we manage to take 4 away somewhere every year (last year we did a 8 day road trip all over the state of Oregon and visited a National Park. Kids had a blast, so did we.

If money was no object I would own property in multiple continents and travel back and forth depending on the weather and make them available to friends and family.  I'd become fluent in another language or two and become a better cook and spend more time with my parents and extended family creating memories and enjoying happier times

I think the main issue is the time element, when you have to work for a living.  I get your general point.  If you were to get the same income now as you do working, without having to go to work, rather than an infinite amount handed to you in one lump sum, I agree that there are plenty of things that could fit into the budget.

laoislad

Quote from: JohnDenver on January 19, 2016, 05:46:00 PM

I think the main issue is the time element, when you have to work for a living.  I get your general point. If you were to get the same income now as you do working, without having to go to work, rather than an infinite amount handed to you in one lump sum, I agree that there are plenty of things that could fit into the budget.
So what you're saying is we should all become teachers.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

There is a lot of truth in this. I don't feel myself unable to afford to travel, but work interferes timewise! If I were seriously wealthy I could stay in 5 star hotels and fly First Class, but this might not hugely enrich the experience. I had a friend who was a teacher, and so not especially wealthy (in money, perhaps better in time)  she put her house on the house swap market every summer and she also bought a modest enough place in the south of France and put it on the swap market too, and was able to stay all over the world for zero rent.

Quote from: laoislad on January 19, 2016, 05:59:30 PM

That's about it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: armaghniac on January 19, 2016, 06:01:55 PM

There is a lot of truth in this. I don't feel myself unable to afford to travel, but work interferes timewise! If I were seriously wealthy I could stay in 5 star hotels and fly First Class, but this might not hugely enrich the experience. I had a friend who was a teacher, and so not especially wealthy (in money, perhaps better in time)  she put her house on the house swap market every summer and she also bought a modest enough place in the south of France and put it on the swap market too, and was able to stay all over the world for zero rent.

Quote from: laoislad on January 19, 2016, 05:59:30 PM

That's about it.
Is it work interfering or ourselves getting in the way? I think most of has have 2-3 weeks holidays to take in a year. I think we could easily take 1-2 weeks a year and head off with the family or solo depending on your circumstances and enjoy a new city, country or location...  Before iPhone and smart phones businesses survived if they couldn't get hold of you 24/7.... they will still survive.  We talk ourselves in to being connected and working around the clock. Answering emails and taking calls instead of saying I'm on my holidays and i'll check emails every few days if at all....

I'm all about working hard and smart and enjoying time with the family and disconnecting after 6. No work on the weekends. No emails, no phone calls no checking anything to do with work despite the emails that might come through on  a Sunday night...

Goal is to own a place in Florida and I have a mate working on a holiday home in France - nothing stopping us agreeing to go back and forth between his place and mine on a gentleman's agreement - now both families have essentially two holiday homes.... 
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Orior

1) Build a set of homes for underprivileged kids

2) Round up the ISIS leaders and gently encourage them to go back and preach peace

3) Japanese twins

4) Six month road trip across USA, then Australia

5) Play a round of golf at Augusta with McIlroy, Day and Oosthuizen
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

I'm happy with my lot in life. I don't think money brings any extra happiness. In fact research shows, after the initial adrenaline burst, people return to their natural 'happiness level'.
Testing Accessibility