2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: highorlow on September 24, 2013, 09:24:08 PM
Andy was on Newstalk around 7:30 this evening.

Listening to him I'm confident this year is just a step along the way for Sam.

Hard to believe he took the interview and he was just after watching the video of the match.

Lord he obviously sounded gutted but at the same time driven to go on again. As I posted earlier leadership was a bit lacking for us and this is something that can only be instilled over time. Another year and that will be sorted.

Proud of the lads and James Horan this year. Onwards and Upwards now for the FBD.

Saw an interview with Andy yesterday at one of the post game functions.  Came over very well, I thought. 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:39:07 PM
Most years I am gutted for weeks after the final but today I feel a sense of determination we will be back in the final next year and will win it. I hope the lads on the team and those surrounding them feel the same or soon will.

Funny you say that, I've the same feeling! Strange, but good!

maddog

In all seriousness you have a serious outfit there and if you brought the intensity you brought to the Donegal match you would be celebrating still tonight. There is an all Ireland in that side but its a mystery to me and im sure to many why the A game cant be produced on the day. I wish ye luck next time because its not healthy and high time they crossed the line in front.

reddgnhand

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 24, 2013, 09:46:17 PM

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

Chances are that if we do get back to a final next year we will be playing the Dubs again. A semi final would be Munster and a 1/4 could be a Cork or a Kerry! That s the harsh reality but another final is attainable but winning it would be a different matter altogether - especially if it is Dublin again. And the reality is that any opposition would be empowered playing us in a final.

I hope Horan does stay on but the same again will not be good enough again. A few new players need to be found.

Disappointing we had nobody on the bench that could be trusted to mark O Gara. If Caff. goes( I appreciate he s not everybody's cup of tea but....)   it leaves a hole and filling it might not be easy. The 2 most likely replacements were not trusted to come on yesterday.

We need genuine 13 corner forward. I still think it was a mistake to discard Regan, but he s barely 20 and another year will see him more mature. But he s the type of player we need imo. Has the quality and wont be fazed by a big occasion. Likes scoring goals and plenty of them.

But apart from that we re not too badly off. There s going to be 5 or 6 All Stars in that squad. What are they going to do? Fishing? Gardening?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 11:08:06 PM

I predicted about this time last year that we would lose 3 AIs in a row :'( :'( :'(

Chances are that if we do get back to a final next year we will be playing the Dubs again. A semi final would be Munster and a 1/4 could be a Cork or a Kerry! That s the harsh reality but another final is attainable but winning it would be a different matter altogether - especially if it is Dublin again. And the reality is that any opposition would be empowered playing us in a final.

I hope Horan does stay on but the same again will not be good enough again. A few new players need to be found.

Disappointing we had nobody on the bench that could be trusted to mark O Gara. If Caff. goes( I appreciate he s not everybody's cup of tea but....)   it leaves a hole and filling it might not be easy. The 2 most likely replacements were not trusted to come on yesterday.

We need genuine 13 corner forward. I still think it was a mistake to discard Regan, but he s barely 20 and another year will see him more mature. But he s the type of player we need imo. Has the quality and wont be fazed by a big occasion. Likes scoring goals and plenty of them.

But apart from that we re not too badly off. There s going to be 5 or 6 All Stars in that squad. What are they going to do? Fishing? Gardening?

Is there talk of Caff going?
If he is, it's the first I've heard of it and I hope t God it's not true. Okay, he took a few wrong options on Sunday but, overall, he had a fine game. The corner backs had their hands full and Caff was left one on one with Brogan far too many times. I think he coped as well as any other FB in the land could.
I don't think anyone on the bench could have done a better job. I guess O'Carroll will beat him to an All-Star this year but, going by his form all year, I'd not be surprised if Caff gets the award.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Sam2011

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 24, 2013, 11:22:17 PM

If he is, it's the first I've heard of it and I hope t God it's not true. Okay, he took a few wrong options on Sunday but, overall, he had a fine game. The corner backs had their hands full and Caff was left one on one with Brogan far too many times. I think he coped as well as any other FB in the land could.
I don't think anyone on the bench could have done a better job. I guess O'Carroll will beat him to an All-Star this year but, going by his form all year, I'd not be surprised if Caff gets the award.

There's talk of a few players going traveling next year, not sure if Caff is one. Can't blame them really. The last three years of their lives have been dictated by football. They deserve a break. That's why I really thought this was the year for us.
Caff is going to be a massive loss. Read a very good article about him before the final, seems to be so down to earth and dedicated to football.

Captain Obvious

If history repeats itself it will be six or seven years before Mayo reach another senior All Ireland final.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 24, 2013, 11:22:17 PM

Look, I know that likes of Ros. hates him but he has developed into a very good defender. Apart from the give away point to Connolly he did f**k all wrong. The Brogan goals? I would put neither down to Ger.

From what I m hearing China is beckoning ( might be a pile of shite) because he has to learn Cantonese or something.  Sure we re all going to be owned by China soon enough. Good culture and class eventually get to the top.

Overall most of the Mayo backs were heroic against what was considered a special forward line. Cunniffe, Barrett. Keegan, Boyle, Higgins, Caff. were beyond reproach. Without a sweeper or a blanket we managed to cope one on one. Mannion, Connolly,  Andrews, Kilkenny are quality players and we coped. But from Seamie up we were a disappointment. If Aidan and the forwards played as well as the backs Sam would be in Ballina tonight. C'est La Vie.

The game was lost elsewhere, but unfortunately Hennelly and Caff. will have to carry the can as far as a lot of the local gobshites are concerned.

Buckass

Just watched on sky plus there. Poor final all in all. Dublin were the much slicker unit in the second half. That mayo were so poor yet do close at the end was strange. On top of that, despite jim Gavin's utterances, mcquillan proved friendly to dublin sides yet again (think Vincent's vs nemo, dublin vs kerry 2011). And not just on timekeeping. All the stats about frees given is well and good but I can't see any free dublin should have got that they didn't.
Meanwhile...be4 mdm saved effort leading to cluxtons 45 o gara blatantly hauls back cunniffe be4 feeding mdm;andy Moran pulled down just be4 half time by Rory o Carroll (stonewall free and score), dean rock with one handed throw to MDM be4 lay off to Flynn for his point, o gara had 2 blatant yellow card offences (pulling players to ground then kneeling on them to stop quick free) be4 his 3rd rugby tackle gets a card.
In a 1 point game every call matters. The bit of luck fell the dubs way too. Cluxton was blessed to get a bit of mcloughlins hopeful lob in 1st half; Cafferky got too light a touch on bb 1st half goal .
Cluxton s influence was immense. Bar 1 kick out over the line in 1st half and one that Connolly overran and keegan caught, he was flawless. That delivery of possession was crucial.
Dublin's subs all got on the ball...Carolan varley and Moran didnt. Vaughan hardly had ball in hand; Aos was very quiet.mayos tackling was superb, hence the low free count.
Thought watching on Sunday that Connolly was poor but he played some great passes in 2nd half. Kilkenny could have been motm if he finished his relatively easy chances. Brennan played well and was tidy in possession. When he landed they score the writing was on the wall.
Mayos lack of composure/strength in half forward line cost them. Dillon was playing injured and mcloughlin had a mare.taking freeman off looked silly when watching it again too.
Feeney must be wondering what he's done wrong. On evidence of semi and final Seamie o shea should be mayos midfield Allstar

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 24, 2013, 11:47:54 PM

If history repeats itself it will be six or seven years before Mayo reach another senior All Ireland final.

While you re at it just give me a bottle of Jack and a rope! Why do you have to gloat?

rrhf

I'd be confident that Tyrone would have best those two performances on Sunday.

rrhf

By the way Jim Gavin was very clever to give out about the referee and further extoll his teams valid after the match. Dublin were a disgrace and a different ref would have done them over. Far too kind for them. Worst final in living menory