China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on April 22, 2020, 01:38:48 PM
So you're demanding prohibition Armaghiac?

One should be able to utilise one's cellar for a few weeks, or just do without.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2020, 10:55:30 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on April 22, 2020, 10:51:43 AM
I think it has more to do with procurement rules and the number of offers they received. They need to filter out the scams from genuine then financial and regular audits before set up of the supplier contracts. There was a good thread on twitter but I cannot find it now.

"Where are you manufacturing the items?"

"Phil The Greek's shed, Buckingham Palace"

"OK, we'll send a police car around to quickly inspect and make sure you are actually set up to make them."

Initial procurement is for limited run and its slowly ramped up as confidence is gained in the supplier.

Its not rocket science - but obviously beyond this f**king shower in Westminster and Whitehall.

Note - if manufacturing is outside UK, then process would be very different.
With 8000 applications and the high volumes required they cannot start with Phil making 20 masks in the garden shed and associated inspections. They need the big well defined operations who will tick all the noxes and hit the ground running.
I am not defending their efforts at doing this, just pointing out it is a bit more than send the police for a drive by and start writing cheques. PR rebuilding is a warning against that approach.
With the thousands of applicants not everyone will get an immediate ring back.

Hardy

Quote from: armaghniac on April 22, 2020, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 22, 2020, 01:11:19 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 22, 2020, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 22, 2020, 12:50:39 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 22, 2020, 12:25:33 PM
Bill Gates speaking on BBC news last week even with a rushed vaccine it will take 18 months for it all to be approved. He said normally it would take between 4 and 5 years in normal circumstances. We are in this for the Long haul.
On a side note parks allowed to open cemeteries are not?
Are our government stupid?

Could also replace the word parks with off licences. It's crazy. Open the damn graveyards.

Agreed, I think they need to open.  There's no more of a risk there than there is with ones out walking up and down footpaths.

With regard to off licences, there's a pretty delicate balance being struck between what they'd like to do to stamp out the virus and what the public will realistically accept.  The Americans are hovering around that line in certain, less mentally advantaged areas, shall we say.  Allowing people to have a beer means that they are probably a little more tolerant of some of the other restrictions.

Or if you close off licences, you'll get people wandering into Tesco and Aldi every hour of the day for 6-packs, making supermarkets even more treacherous to work in, and even more frustrating to visit.

Stop supermarkets selling alcohol and use the shelves for sanitiser or something useful.

But what's the sanitiser made of?

Hardy

I regularly see footage on the news of Garda officers checking that the distancing and isolation rules are being observed by sticking their heads into people's cars. And then standing shoulder to shoulder as they await the next car.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: LeoMc on April 22, 2020, 02:53:20 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2020, 10:55:30 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on April 22, 2020, 10:51:43 AM
I think it has more to do with procurement rules and the number of offers they received. They need to filter out the scams from genuine then financial and regular audits before set up of the supplier contracts. There was a good thread on twitter but I cannot find it now.

"Where are you manufacturing the items?"

"Phil The Greek's shed, Buckingham Palace"

"OK, we'll send a police car around to quickly inspect and make sure you are actually set up to make them."

Initial procurement is for limited run and its slowly ramped up as confidence is gained in the supplier.

Its not rocket science - but obviously beyond this f**king shower in Westminster and Whitehall.

Note - if manufacturing is outside UK, then process would be very different.
With 8000 applications and the high volumes required they cannot start with Phil making 20 masks in the garden shed and associated inspections. They need the big well defined operations who will tick all the noxes and hit the ground running.
I am not defending their efforts at doing this, just pointing out it is a bit more than send the police for a drive by and start writing cheques. PR rebuilding is a warning against that approach.
With the thousands of applicants not everyone will get an immediate ring back.

What?!?!

When you consider how many civil servants there are that would be otherwise managing any amount of things* that are on pause right now - 8000 applications is a pitiful number. There are probably at least 5 idle civil servants per application right now.

An initial low rate order would still be of the hundreds per week.

It beggars belief they are not receiving at least a quick call back with a query as to whether they are manufacturing to standards or not. That is literally a 2 minute phone call to at least whittle down what might be quickly a viable source. 34 man-days to cover all 8000 applications with that. 10 people will cover that in a week.
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on April 22, 2020, 02:54:54 PM
But what's the sanitiser made of?

If you are stuck, I suppose you could drink it.

Quote from: Hardy on April 22, 2020, 03:00:10 PM
I regularly see footage on the news of Garda officers checking that the distancing and isolation rules are being observed by sticking their heads into people's cars. And then standing shoulder to shoulder as they await the next car.

There is no doubt that they have not been setting a good example, although I noticed on yesterday's coverage they had masks.
The standing together isn't perfect, but they have been divided in to teams, so they stand beside the same person every day to mitigate the damage.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

Quote from: armaghniac on April 22, 2020, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 22, 2020, 01:11:19 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 22, 2020, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 22, 2020, 12:50:39 PM
Bill Gates speaking on BBC news last week even with a rushed vaccine it will take 18 months for it all to be approved. He said normally it would take between 4 and 5 years in normal circumstances. We are in this for the Long haul.

Could also replace the word parks with off licences. It's crazy. Open the damn graveyards.

Agreed, I think they need to open.  There's no more of a risk there than there is with ones out walking up and down footpaths.

With regard to off licences, there's a pretty delicate balance being struck between what they'd like to do to stamp out the virus and what the public will realistically accept.  The Americans are hovering around that line in certain, less mentally advantaged areas, shall we say.  Allowing people to have a beer means that they are probably a little more tolerant of some of the other restrictions.

Or if you close off licences, you'll get people wandering into Tesco and Aldi every hour of the day for 6-packs, making supermarkets even more treacherous to work in, and even more frustrating to visit.

Stop supermarkets selling alcohol and use the shelves for sanitiser or something useful.

If lack of shelf space in supermarkets was an issue, that would be a good idea.

As it is, not so much.

bennydorano

5 years maybe to eradicate, but few if any viruses get eradicated, they get managed, so a much much shorter timescale is highly likely for an effective vaccine. Think I read somewhere Smallpox was the only virus that has been totally eradicated, the rest linger in the shadows.

Itchy

Watch your tv and you will see An Taoiseach so obsessed in looking good at his photo/video shoots that he frequently breaches social distancing rules for all to see. The only type of Doctor that man can now claim to be is a spin doctor.

Milltown Row2

Looking at the figures for Portugal (twice population of all Ireland) are they doing anything different to the rest of that area (Spain) ?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on April 22, 2020, 08:40:12 PM

Watch your tv and you will see An Taoiseach so obsessed in looking good at his photo/video shoots that he frequently breaches social distancing rules for all to see. The only type of Doctor that man can now claim to be is a spin doctor.
Has he not donned the stethoscope and done a few stints in the trenches, or was that all another spin?

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on April 22, 2020, 09:23:26 PM

Has he not donned the stethoscope and done a few stints in the trenches, or was that all another spin?

I'm sure he donned one for a photoshoot somewhere

Downtothewire

Quote from: Main Street on April 22, 2020, 09:23:26 PM

He went to a contact tracing centre few Sunday's ago got the photo taken with phoned in hand. RTÉ spun it that he was back working as a doctor for HSE. Don't know who is worse him or them

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 22, 2020, 08:56:12 PM
Looking at the figures for Portugal (twice population of all Ireland) are they doing anything different to the rest of that area (Spain) ?

Not too sure but again, Lisbon - 500k population. Madrid must be around 4/5 million odd. Pretty much a numbers game?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/jaw-dropping-confidential-memo-warns-of-divisive-phase-1.4235481

In a note sent to the Cabinet from the Department of the Taoiseach this week, Ministers were told that while the initial stage was "both swift and unprecedented, and was experienced by everyone together and in a relatively unified spirit", this may change as the long-term effects come into play.

"This includes unemployment, reduced income, increased debt, closure of businesses, reduced educational opportunities, restrictions on movement and social interactions, and ultimately the loss of loved ones."

The note, the tone of which was described as "jaw-dropping" by sources, outlined the challenges ahead, such as the difficulty of opening some sections of the economy and not others, reducing income supports and tightening procedures for those entering the country, as well as opportunities.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU