2 Spectators killed in tragic accident at the Cavan Rally

Started by give her dixie, May 27, 2012, 12:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

RIP condolescences to all those affected..

I personnally feel whilst the fatalies are low and accident count, but ive been to rallies and spectators always put themselves at risk imo, i dont know the specifics of this tradegy but in other times where no one was hurt ive seen people standing in stupid places to get a better view, just because theres no accident doenst make it right imo. The reality is not too many cars lose control becuase of driver skill but there is the risk because of where people stand of an even bigger tradegy than this happening. People owe a duty of care to themselves that in the event of a car losing control its impossible for it to affect spectators. Clearly in this case it wasnt impossible sadly.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GJL

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 28, 2012, 12:41:34 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 28, 2012, 10:00:08 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2012, 12:00:26 AM
Quote from: Agent Orange on May 27, 2012, 10:18:06 PM
Its been a long time since anyone was killed at an Irish rally, they are usually well organised and well marshalled. What happened today was a tragic accident, nothing more. Lets hope the injured make a speedy recovery. RIP to those who werent so lucky.

Nonsense.

There was a young lad killed in 2008 in Donegal. Two marshalls killed in Donegal in 2002 by a car leaving the road. A driver killed in 2010.

It used to pass out our road years ago, but thankfully the locals got a stop put to it. It was sheer madness the rate at which they drove, not to mention the absolute wreck the roads were left in.

I have been involved in rallying as a competitor in Ireland for 11 years. In that time I know of 7 fatalities. 2 Co-drivers, 2 Marshalls and 3 spectators.

At a rough guess, in that time, approx 150000 - 200000 have competeted and countless thousands have spectated. Motorsport is the 3rd most popular sport in Ireland. It creates Millions in revenue every year and not least in your own County of Donegal. The Donegal Rally is estimated to bring in 50000 people a year to the county who all contribute to the local economy.

No amount of money can make up for lost lives but things must be put in context. In those 11 years we have lost people to other sports including our own GAA.

Rallying is a great sport that is safe. Accidents happen but 99.99% of the time there are not even injuries never mind fatalities.

RIP such a tragedy,

I cant however Begin to understand what the above statement is meant to support. I'm not anti-rallying/road biking etc as I feel everyperson knows what dangers he/she encounters as a fan/competitor in such sports. But I feel the above is a flawed

Flawed how? I am just pointing out that these type of things are extremely rare. Knee jerk nonsense such as

QuoteIt used to pass out our road years ago, but thankfully the locals got a stop put to it. It was sheer madness the rate at which they drove, not to mention the absolute wreck the roads were left in.

and

QuoteThese events should never be held on public roads for a start. Complete and utter madness. How more people haven't been killed is beyond me.

The above quotes are more flawed IMO.

Cold tea

Would you be putting things so much in context if one of those 7 fatalities were in anyway connected with yourself?  All motorsport with vehicles travelling at high speeds are dangerous, the fact that these happen along country roads with no crash barriers the length of the course make rallying that much more dangerous for spectators.

J70

Quote from: GJL on May 28, 2012, 10:00:08 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2012, 12:00:26 AM
Quote from: Agent Orange on May 27, 2012, 10:18:06 PM
Its been a long time since anyone was killed at an Irish rally, they are usually well organised and well marshalled. What happened today was a tragic accident, nothing more. Lets hope the injured make a speedy recovery. RIP to those who werent so lucky.

Nonsense.

There was a young lad killed in 2008 in Donegal. Two marshalls killed in Donegal in 2002 by a car leaving the road. A driver killed in 2010.

It used to pass out our road years ago, but thankfully the locals got a stop put to it. It was sheer madness the rate at which they drove, not to mention the absolute wreck the roads were left in.

I have been involved in rallying as a competitor in Ireland for 11 years. In that time I know of 7 fatalities. 2 Co-drivers, 2 Marshalls and 3 spectators.

At a rough guess, in that time, approx 150000 - 200000 have competeted and countless thousands have spectated. Motorsport is the 3rd most popular sport in Ireland. It creates Millions in revenue every year and not least in your own County of Donegal. The Donegal Rally is estimated to bring in 50000 people a year to the county who all contribute to the local economy.

No amount of money can make up for lost lives but things must be put in context. In those 11 years we have lost people to other sports including our own GAA.

Rallying is a great sport that is safe. Accidents happen but 99.99% of the time there are not even injuries never mind fatalities.

Context?

The race hasn't even been finished in Donegal in three of the past ten races due to fatalities. Maybe that's a chance cluster and a statistical outlier. I don't know the broader stats for rallying across Europe.

And as a one time resident of a rural Donegal community, the people in my area were pefectly within their rights to have the route moved. The roads were a wreck afterwards, with verges and hedges dug up and walls (including on bridges) damaged from collisions. People spent the day either with their animals housed or else nervous as f**k that one of them would pick the wrong day to escape out of the fields or the house. You may dismiss those as knee-jerk trivial concerns, but they were perfectly legitimate in a farming community.

GJL

Donegal has been desperately unlucky in the last 10 years. 4 out of the 7 deaths in all of Irish rallying have taken place on the Donegal International Rally. Thomas Maguire who died 2 years ago whilst co-driving was a friend of mine who I have competed against. When you consider there must be 60-70 rallies a year in Ireland you can see how unlucky Donegal has been. The deaths are all part of freak accidents. Rallying in Ireland is as safe as anywhere in the world.

By the way. All damage to walls etc is repaired by the local motorclub or paid for by the local motorclub. This cost is included in the entry fees that are paid by the rally crews. A few holes in hedges and knocked over walls (that are repaired) is a small price to pay for the revenue brought into the area.

I will be in Donegal in 2 weeks time for IMO the best Rally in Ireland.

Denn Forever

Best of luck in Donegal.  Whats the name of the stage where the cars climb up the wide twisty road with the dackdrop of the beach in the background?  Happy memories.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

GJL

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 29, 2012, 10:58:28 AM
Best of luck in Donegal.  Whats the name of the stage where the cars climb up the wide twisty road with the dackdrop of the beach in the background?  Happy memories.

I am going as a spectator this year. Done it in 2009.

Knockalla. One of the best stages in Ireland.

Agent Orange

I didn't realise we had so many deaths over the last 10 years. I suppose I lost interest in rallying and don't really hear that much about it these days. In my younger days I would have been a regular at all these events. Donegal was always a great weekend.
The people who died were regulars at rallys. One a co driver and the other a well known photographer, they would have been well aware of the dangers that faced them and would have taken the usual steps to ensure their safety. What happend on Sunday was an unfortunate accident.