Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Itchy on October 01, 2018, 07:27:14 PM
Let's just do nothing, sure it's a great spectacle the way it is.
Let's just do any oul 5h1te without thinking it through because you can guarantee if there are any unintended consequences coaches will be very quick to identify and exploit them.

cjx

Quote from: trailer on October 02, 2018, 07:33:45 PM
Quote from: cjx on October 02, 2018, 10:36:14 AM
More convinced than ever that as in basketball in '70s shot clock is the only answer. In 2nd half
2 min

In final added time/extra time 1 min

All goalkeeper kickouts from small rectangle. Inhibits short kick outs

Revert to fistpass (as was faced up in 1950s after the Antrim 1946-48 team hardly ever kicked the ball in open play)

Mark from all free's, kick-outs and sidelines

Trying to police exclusion zones or back passing impossible! Remember club should be king and think Junior Championship on a muddy winter pitch

Shot clock won't work. It will never work. It will never be implemented.

I would like a shot clock on people suggesting a 'shot clock' It is suggested weekly at this stage. 
It's the idea people who probably have never played the game or people who have little understanding of basketball or sport in general. It's the "I've been down the pub and a few people were chatting about Gaelic football and to show my knowledge of all things sports related, I'll suggest a shot clock rule change so I fit in" suggestion.

Why wouldn't a shot clock work? Give reasons don't just shoot down. Does it work in Basketball? Yes. Is Football like basketball? Yes! Keep ball is getting ludicrous heading the way of the most boring soccer only worse and far too easy with an ill defined badly reffed tackle as well)
What is your solution Something  positive please.

cjx

And did you see the penalties proposed for the 5 rule changes to the experimented with in league?
Bizarre
2 hour games as all the U16 run around trying to sort themselves out and be counted at the kickouts and the defending team can't touch a kickout before it crosses the 45m line ( Is this really what they suggest? ) All this on a park pitch with no lines and no flags!
Pure farce
Again if you want to test these changes do it at Junior B.
This stupid media driven elitist approach is the end of Gaelic football No players just playing for fun ( ie. 95%) No children will want anything to do with this game if this approach prevails Shot clock very simple compared to this nonsense

tippabu

Quote from: cjx on October 03, 2018, 10:51:13 AM
More convinced than ever that as in basketball in '70s shot clock is the only answer. In 2nd half
2 min

Revert to fistpass (as was faced up in 1950s after the Antrim 1946-48 team hardly ever kicked the ball in open play)

Trying to police exclusion zones or back passing impossible! Remember club should be king and think Junior Championship on a muddy winter pitch

I would like a shot clock on people suggesting a 'shot clock' It is suggested weekly at this stage. 
It's the idea people who probably have never played the game or people who have little understanding of basketball or sport in general. It's the "I've been down the pub and a few people were chatting about Gaelic football and to show my knowledge of all things sports related, I'll suggest a shot clock rule change so I fit in" suggestion.

Why wouldn't a shot clock work? Give reasons don't just shoot down. Does it work in Basketball? Yes. Is Football like basketball? Yes! Keep ball is getting ludicrous heading the way of the most boring soccer only worse and far too easy with an ill defined badly reffed tackle as well)

It wouldn't work because it would encourage and reward an even greater ultra defensive set up because the opposition have a certain period to score and you know you just need to pack the scoring zone for that time. The game will evolve with any changes and teams will adapt and counter them so every possibility needs to be fully thought of

Christmas Lights

2 min

A shot clock..looooooooololoolololololololololol

Catch yourself on.

Manning18

Tearing my hair out that the simple but effective "closed fist-pass only" wasn't proposed. Replace a plague that takes zero skill with a tougher skill, harder to retain possession, create more turnovers, give teams a reason to push on and put pressure on the ball carrier. So easy

LeoMc

2 min

If a team brings eveyone back within 50 yards of their own goal (blanket defence 2.0) and leaves nowhere for the attacking team a shot clock is simply rewarding the defending team and dis-incentivising the attacking one.
A shot click will leave games more negative as teams will be less inclined to commit men forward knowing they will have to defend within 70 seconds again.

trailer

Quote from: tippabu on October 03, 2018, 11:06:57 AM
2 min

It wouldn't work because it would encourage and reward an even greater ultra defensive set up because the opposition have a certain period to score and you know you just need to pack the scoring zone for that time. The game will evolve with any changes and teams will adapt and counter them so every possibility needs to be fully thought of

Regardless of how it effects the game, a shot clock needs to be seen by the players. They need to know how long is on the shot clock. A GAA pitch is huge. Any clock would need to be massive - at both ends of the ground. We struggle to get lines and flags on pitches. Two massive shot clocks are not realistic in every pitch in the country.
People need to think ideas through. Some ideas have been invented on the back of fag packets and need to remain there.

Few changes I would suggest and would like to potentially see TRIALLED (not immediately implemented regardless of anything because I want change for change sake).
80 minute games. Reduce subs to 4, reduce teams to 13 or 14 a side. Should create more space, tired legs and more opportunities.

Rossfan

80 minutes for the Junior B :o
Are you an undertaker by any chance?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: Rossfan on October 04, 2018, 01:00:32 PM
80 minutes for the Junior B :o
Are you an undertaker by any chance?

80 mins inter county.
I'd imagine 60 mins might still be enough at club level, although 70mins for championship might be worth looking at.

macker15

Push and stop keeping 15 bodies behind the ball.

BennyCake

Is it just me or are there a lot of fisting the ball over the bar lately?

Jaysus, but it's an abomination.

And while they're at it, get rid of throwing the ball into the net. It should be closed fist only.

Taylor

Quote from: BennyCake on June 04, 2021, 09:34:50 AM

And while they're at it, get rid of throwing the ball into the net. It should be closed fist only.

The high number of fisted points was alluded to by McConville last Sunday night

seafoid

Limit the number of passes.
I think rugby league does something like this,
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Taylor on June 04, 2021, 09:47:00 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 04, 2021, 09:34:50 AM

The high number of fisted points was alluded to by McConville last Sunday night

Alluded to in a positive way, or in a negative way?