Closure of Official Armagh Fans Forum

Started by Rma13, October 04, 2017, 07:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rma13

I see the official county forum has closed which is a shame, it had a good following among supporters & there were a quite a few insightful members plus it also provided a bit of banter.  I think this had been building for a while & there had been a few warnings about closing the site but it still feels rather abrupt.  In my opinion it would have been a good idea to post a message notifying members that the site was closing permanently with a brief explanation as to why rather than just a message saying it could no longer be accessed!! but it seems this is obviously the end of it & time to move on.

Rufus T Firefly

Too bad. I can't say I know the background to this but I do know when there was talk of rumours around fall outs in a certain club recently, that there was a lot of anger from that club at an official level, which took me aback. I thought the best thing would have been to ignoire it.

It's a difficult one. As the forum was so closely linked to the County - it was the official forum - then the responsibility to ensure it was whiter than white was all the greater. Indeed it probably was reaching the stage that people were starting to look for offence, the mods were having to consistently respond to every little thing and discussion was becoming so politically correct as to leave it worthless.

I think most members should recognise the great work that the admin did. He's deserving of our thanks.

armaghniac

The old Orchardcounty.com, which had some good discussion back in the day, went in a similar way. Unfortunately, some posters post stuff that is grossly offensive or even libellous and presumably reappear under a different name posting similar crap if banned. Perhaps they should charge £5 to join.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Throw ball

I agree with the sentiments of RMA and Rufus. Not very knowledgeable on these things but I would suggest the reduction in traffic on the official site will be noticeable. Surprised the decision was taken just as the big draw was announced.
Admin did a great job. It had become a thankless task though as it appeared more and more new members came on bad when there was something bad to comment on. Seems the county has more than enough ccomplainers and not enough supporters. The one thing I would add though is that the county board may find that the level of influence on discussion they had on an official forum could give way to a free for all on an unofficial site. Obviously that will depend on who is administrator on the new site.
I hadn't seen the new forum. Will probably sign up at some stage.

brokencrossbar1

While he did a good job he was trigger happy sometimes with the ban and had an issue about me hence I went on the offensive. Some may think I overreacted but I have spoken to a few people who were annoyed about some of the stuff and frankly felt that there was a free run at our club. I know what happened was not pleasant but I also know of some stuff that happened that has not come out, particularly the whole crossing over the fence. Anyway,  I will probably register on the new site, if I'm let, the difficulty with the old site was that it operated as the official site yet the Admin denied that he was the CB representative. You have to be one or the other

keeperlit

Never mind banning members, Hope all talk of soup is banned on new site. Did my head in!

stew

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 04, 2017, 10:00:46 PM
While he did a good job he was trigger happy sometimes with the ban and had an issue about me hence I went on the offensive. Some may think I overreacted but I have spoken to a few people who were annoyed about some of the stuff and frankly felt that there was a free run at our club. I know what happened was not pleasant but I also know of some stuff that happened that has not come out, particularly the whole crossing over the fence. Anyway,  I will probably register on the new site, if I'm let, the difficulty with the old site was that it operated as the official site yet the Admin denied that he was the CB representative. You have to be one or the other

I hope they let you in BC, they need members like you.

Was never on this site and I also know that a fair bit of shit spouted about Cross is based on jealousy, that said my experience with Cross teams since I have got back has been exceptionally poor to the point I regret spending money watching them and cheering them on when they were at their peak and you were winning all Irelands for fun. Sad but hey, that's my experience as I see it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

keeperlit

Quote from: stew on October 04, 2017, 10:26:59 PM

Was never on this site and I also know that a fair bit of shit spouted about Cross is based on jealousy, that said my experience with Cross teams since I have got back has been exceptionally poor to the point I regret spending money watching them and cheering them on when they were at their peak and you were winning all Irelands for fun. Sad but hey, that's my experience as I see it.

Jesus Stew, you have made your point about how you feel about cross now on several occasions . Can you not just leave it now.

Rma13

Quote from: keeperlit on October 04, 2017, 10:17:19 PM
Never mind banning members, Hope all talk of soup is banned on new site. Did my head in!

As I was involved in the above mentioned topic on a few occasions I can only say it was all very much tongue in cheek & just a bit of harmless banter, I don't think it really detracted from what overall was a well run, well liked site. I genuinely hope that a lot of the regular members find their way onto the new site as I enjoyed reading the majority of the posts even if I didn't necessarily agree with all of the opinions. I guess at this stage I will give the new site a go & if it's not for me I can leave.

general_lee

The only reason the official forum was useful was because it was the only dedicated Armagh one. If I recall correctly it was the successor to the unofficial orchard county forum, before the admin offered his services to the official county board which was to ultimately become its downfall.

Cue Pinochet-like censorship, bans handed out like sweets, no cursing, no criticising the county board, no naming players, no mentioning referees unless it was positive etc. What you were left with was a dozen or so regulars; one or two who insisted on polluting threads with long-winded and often irrelevant posts, (especially relating to the county team) that meant proper debate and discussion was never able to flourished.

I hope the new forum allows for more open debate, constructive criticism of county board and officials where due and maybe a wee of bit of craic that extends beyond the played out soup joke

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: general_lee on October 05, 2017, 10:24:33 AM
The only reason the official forum was useful was because it was the only dedicated Armagh one. If I recall correctly it was the successor to the unofficial orchard county forum, before the admin offered his services to the official county board which was to ultimately become its downfall.

Cue Pinochet-like censorship, bans handed out like sweets, no cursing, no criticising the county board, no naming players, no mentioning referees unless it was positive etc. What you were left with was a dozen or so regulars; one or two who insisted on polluting threads with long-winded and often irrelevant posts, (especially relating to the county team) that meant proper debate and discussion was never able to flourished.

I hope the new forum allows for more open debate, constructive criticism of county board and officials where due and maybe a wee of bit of craic that extends beyond the played out soup joke

The bit I've highlighted from you numbers just eleven words but represents the biggest challenge there is when considering the issues around discussion boards. What represents constructive criticism? What represents open debate? Will your view of valid criticism differ from that of the mods? If it does, will the mods become dictators, if they don't value what you perceive to be constructive criticism? When does the constructive criticism of a referee or County Board official become personal, or cross the line and becomes personal abuse of a volunteer?

Your open criticism of the forum represents a common view, particularly amongst those who have fallen foul of the mods and admins. My slant would be different. I would commend those who strove manfully to try and get the balance right between allowing open debate and constructive criticism whilst trying to ensure that it wasn't open season on fellow Armagh Gaels who are busting their nads for the benefit of us all in an increasingly thankless role.

I've joined up to the new forum and look forward to seeing what it has to offer. But I won't hang about if the open debate and constructive criticism you ask for turns sour.     

maddog

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2017, 11:33:12 AM
Quote from: general_lee on October 05, 2017, 10:24:33 AM

The bit I've highlighted from you numbers just eleven words but represents the biggest challenge there is when considering the issues around discussion boards. What represents constructive criticism? What represents open debate? Will your view of valid criticism differ from that of the mods? If it does, will the mods become dictators, if they don't value what you perceive to be constructive criticism? When does the constructive criticism of a referee or County Board official become personal, or cross the line and becomes personal abuse of a volunteer?

Your open criticism of the forum represents a common view, particularly amongst those who have fallen foul of the mods and admins. My slant would be different. I would commend those who strove manfully to try and get the balance right between allowing open debate and constructive criticism whilst trying to ensure that it wasn't open season on fellow Armagh Gaels who are busting their nads for the benefit of us all in an increasingly thankless role.

I've joined up to the new forum and look forward to seeing what it has to offer. But I won't hang about if the open debate and constructive criticism you ask for turns sour.     

A bit of poetic license being used with the age of some lads on their profiles. ;)

general_lee

First off, general consensus should be what dictates the lines between legitimate criticism and outright personal abuse and vendettas etc. If other posters are saying you've crossed a line then it goes without saying you probably have. I'd point to this forum, as a good example, where there is a degree of leniency and when someone is out of order they are usually called on it, without the need for mods to hand out bans or to get involved at all for that matter.

Now I personally was never actually banned or had any dealings with the mods on the county forum, but then again I never really posted there to begin with. Of course the mods have to protect the county board so obviously they need to be strict, but the zero tolerance attitude didn't really lend itself to a good space for debate or discussion, unless your contribution was something positive or praise. I'm not necessarily criticising the mods either, rather the concept of a county board running an Internet forum.

Also I have a sneaky suspicion that the new forum may involve some of those involved with the county one albeit in an unofficial capacity

stew

Quote from: keeperlit on October 04, 2017, 10:31:42 PM
Quote from: stew on October 04, 2017, 10:26:59 PM

Jesus Stew, you have made your point about how you feel about cross now on several occasions . Can you not just leave it now.

Yes, that said I was not trying to make my point about how I feel on Cross, that said, duly noted.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: general_lee on October 05, 2017, 11:48:59 AM
First off, general consensus should be what dictates the lines between legitimate criticism and outright personal abuse and vendettas etc. If other posters are saying you've crossed a line then it goes without saying you probably have. I'd point to this forum, as a good example, where there is a degree of leniency and when someone is out of order they are usually called on it, without the need for mods to hand out bans or to get involved at all for that matter.

I would be extremely uncomfortable with the 'degree of leniency' that is exhibited here being applied to the much more local confines of a local forum where names of referees and officials are coming up. That's my own personal view. I therefore already see problems with your notion of a 'general consensus' being used to manage behavior.

I'm not necessarily criticising the mods either, rather the concept of a county board running an Internet forum.

Agreed that the concept of a county board running an internet forum is probably not ideal.

Now I personally was never actually banned or had any dealings with the mods on the county forum, but then again I never really posted there to begin with.

You did still though grow weary of the soup joke.