Marky Mark and the GAA from 1 January

Started by seafoid, November 21, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Estimator on January 09, 2017, 02:35:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 09, 2017, 12:10:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 09, 2017, 12:05:40 PM
Then we'll bring in a rule to ban short kick outs.

:) We love new rules in the GAA :)

When was the last new rule brought into soccer? The active/passive offside rule?

There was a new rule brought in this year regarding kickoff. Previously it had to travel forward which meant the team taking the kickoff required two players in the centre circle. Now the ball can travel in any direction.

Yeah - I was a bit surprised when I saw this happening as I hadn't heard it was changed.

rory

Is the mark being brought in for all age groups?  I was under the impression it was senior football only?

Jinxy

I wonder how many marks we've had in the first two rounds of the NFL.
As the league progresses, it'd be interesting to see how often players take the free-kick as opposed to playing on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It has worked out better than I expected so far to be fair. Jarlath Burns for president.

Jinxy

As we near the end of the league, what's the general view on this?
For me, it's had somewhere between a neutral and a positive impact, which is pretty good going for a rule change in gaelic football.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: Jinxy on March 21, 2017, 12:55:46 PM
For me, it's had somewhere between a neutral and a positive impact, which is pretty good going for a rule change in gaelic football.

Agree with that, hasn't had a big impact to be honest but what impact it has made, it certainly hasn't been negative at all.

westbound

Agree.

But I wouldn't be definitive about any rule change until it's had at least one championship! Lets see how the smartest managers set up to use it / nullify it during the  championship.

Then we'll have a better idea of it's true worth.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on March 21, 2017, 12:55:46 PM
At least when a man catches the ball now from a kickout you don't have a bloody scrum forming around him.
Now if we could extend the black card to cynical  stopping opponents taking quick frees....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: westbound on March 21, 2017, 04:16:06 PM
Agree.

But I wouldn't be definitive about any rule change until it's had at least one championship! Lets see how the smartest managers set up to use it / nullify it during the  championship.

Cian O'Neill has Kildare using it well, set piece scores I call them. We have scored a lot points like this.

https://youtu.be/reObOgIks_0?t=137
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 21, 2017, 04:54:56 PM
Agree.

Cian O'Neill has Kildare using it well, set piece scores I call them. We have scored a lot points like this.

Clever simple tactic. Big brother is always watching https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/844266452005937155
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Explain this tactic to me in more detail, Dinny.
Not even sure I watched the right clip.

Taylor

This will encourage some teams to go long that dont have a 'sharp' keeper or dont have ball playing corner backs.

The mark will mean nothing to the counties who currently excel at short kickouts - they will continue with it as it is guaranteed posession.

If a rule was brought in from say under 16 (with an additional line on the field) that the ball must pass a 30metre line it would help this blight on our game

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on March 22, 2017, 10:28:21 AM
Explain this tactic to me in more detail, Dinny.
Not even sure I watched the right clip.

It's just on movement, Feeley is the primary mark taker, as soon as claimed an inside forward makes a run, Moolick or another makes a support run in the direction of the ball, taking the pass from the inside forward moving into the space left behind, generally taps it over untouched. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 22, 2017, 10:04:54 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 21, 2017, 04:54:56 PM
Agree.

Clever simple tactic. Big brother is always watching https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/844266452005937155

At least he credited my observations,. One of the bether gaa journalists on Twitter in fairness worth a follow.
#newbridgeornowhere