Marky Mark and the GAA from 1 January

Started by seafoid, November 21, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on December 04, 2016, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 02, 2016, 04:49:47 PM
No country for fancy dans.
There is no beauty in the game anymore. Just brute force and defence by numbers. Taliban stuff
I remember the fugees singing about killing Meath softly ..

True. Individualism has no place in the modern game. All play is programmed. Football by numbers.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on December 04, 2016, 10:47:54 PM
There is no beauty in the game anymore. Just brute force and defence by numbers. Taliban stuff

True. Individualism has no place in the modern game. All play is programmed. Football by numbers.
It's a team game ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyHarp

I assume the "mark" will be in place for the All Ireland club semi finals and finals in the new year? Starting a competition with one set of rules and finishing with another is not ideal.
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

It is very dull

Apart from Tipp getting to the semi this year was forgettable
I think mayo keeping the Dub forwards living off scraps and 3 of them getting all stars was
a sign of what is wrong.
GF should be about  creating space rather than closing it down

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on December 05, 2016, 03:35:01 PM

It is very dull

Apart from Tipp getting to the semi this year was forgettable
I think mayo keeping the Dub forwards living off scraps and 3 of them getting all stars was
a sign of what is wrong.
GF should be about  creating space rather than closing it down

That's been the same for 8 or 9 years.

Time for 10 or 11 a side. Might help solve most of current problems with the game.

magpie seanie

To be honest I think attacking play has to evolve and has scope to do so. It has not developed noticeably in recent years but I did see some signs that may be changing. I noticed some things in last years championship that may have been accident or design, I'm not sure, which might work at breaking the 40 metre iron curtains. I think teams are going to work off pods of 3/4 players to draw a group into a bunch and leave a gap in a defensive wall. Similar to how they sometimes in rugby artificially create "quick ball". Also, Dublin's "McManamon" tactic (for want of a better term) of playing it out to the corner and using McManamon's unique gift of carrying the ball at pace in tight spaces was very much to the fore in last years final replay. He drew some frees (which were scored) and when it didn't work they retreated back out.

The beauty of Tipp was they have two excellent footballers who could win high ball and despatch it. Most players in the FB line nowadays are under 6 foot and picked for their speed. If I had a good fielder I'd be grooming him to play inside rather than at midfield. Get it in fast.

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2016, 12:34:14 PM
To be honest I think attacking play has to evolve and has scope to do so. It has not developed noticeably in recent years but I did see some signs that may be changing. I noticed some things in last years championship that may have been accident or design, I'm not sure, which might work at breaking the 40 metre iron curtains. I think teams are going to work off pods of 3/4 players to draw a group into a bunch and leave a gap in a defensive wall. Similar to how they sometimes in rugby artificially create "quick ball". Also, Dublin's "McManamon" tactic (for want of a better term) of playing it out to the corner and using McManamon's unique gift of carrying the ball at pace in tight spaces was very much to the fore in last years final replay. He drew some frees (which were scored) and when it didn't work they retreated back out.

The beauty of Tipp was they have two excellent footballers who could win high ball and despatch it. Most players in the FB line nowadays are under 6 foot and picked for their speed. If I had a good fielder I'd be grooming him to play inside rather than at midfield. Get it in fast.
Handpassing makes it easier for defenders to control the game.
Accurate footpasses and decoy runs would suit forwards-. Plus fellas who can score from 40 yards out.
And say 4 points for a goal.

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2016, 02:37:49 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 06, 2016, 12:34:14 PM

Handpassing makes it easier for defenders to control the game.
Accurate footpasses and decoy runs would suit forwards-. Plus fellas who can score from 40 yards out.
And say 4 points for a goal.

And 2 points for a score from outside a 40 m arc like the 3 pointer in basketball - lets force the defenders out to tackle.
That was never a square ball!!

westbound

Interesting ideas.

Personally, I think that if we rewarded a goal with 4 points, its make teams more defensive! Because giving up a goal would be seen as more costly that is currently the case.

2 points for a score outside an designated line/arc could have the desired effect of getting teams to push up a bit. But personally, I don't like the idea of a 'point' being worth 2 points!

Rossfan

And make throw points worth only half a point.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2016, 04:21:40 PM
And make throw points worth only half a point.

Ban them or allow similar for goals again. It's a ridiculous contradiction.

magpie seanie

Any comments on the mark from people who saw games over the weekend?

Jinxy

I've seen a few people giving out that there were no marks, as if this was some sort of failure on behalf of the rule.
My gut feeling is that if a player catches a ball and decides to play on, most people watching will be too dumb to figure out what's going on.
The rule is unique I suppose in that it could be very effective without ever actually being availed of, i.e. players automatically back off the fielder.
Anyway, worst case scenario is it will have no impact at all.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Worse case scenario is it actually increases the amount of short kickouts, as coaches become too nervous of giving away free possession 50 yards from your own goal.

Jinxy

Then we'll bring in a rule to ban short kick outs.
If you were any use you'd be playing.