Marky Mark and the GAA from 1 January

Started by seafoid, November 21, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 23, 2016, 03:48:27 PM
I think Stephen Cluxton, and other accurate (normally!!) kick out experts might result in a few marks. It just has to be caught cleanly before it bounces, right? There's no stipulation it has to be a soaring catch to the clouds?

In that case, a  45 metre driven kick to a man running towards the sideline would also count as a mark, and I think that will be seen more than the contested high catch with the big man winning it. Half forwards and half backs might get more marks than midfielders.

Is a mark also awarded to the other team? If a kickout is caught by the opposition outside your 45, is a mark awarded then? And can they score from it?

Never thought about that. I presume so.

In that case, a kick out reaching 40 yards that is caught by opposing team basically gifts them a 40 yard free and a handy enough score. Makes you wonder why a keeper would kick long, doesn't it?

Zulu

A keeper taking a kickout would only be kicking it 25 yards or so if their opponents caught it 40 yards from goal so therefore I don't think it is risky kicking it long but it is risky kicking is medium to short. I think the default setting of too many people is to list all the possible downsides whereas lets have a look at it and see if it brings anything positive. As I said before, I think it will make little difference either way.

seafoid

Kicking long reduces the likelihood of the team retaining possession. It should make things more interesting.
I think the game as it is now is biased towards defenders, a bit like catenaccio , the Italian soccer defensive system.

Donegal v Kildare 2011 is a good example of puke football

Kildare broke the ball down in midfield and made 9 passes with fellas within scoring range for some before Donegal committed a foul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWlABqUppF0
Start at 3.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpA0oPR_EOQ

Benny Coulter was quoted in the Star when he retired 
"There are games you got to at club level where two teams are playing defensive systems and it is ridiculous at times," Coulter said.
"I was even reading stuff the other day, colleges games where they were playing two sweepers."When we were playing for St Mark's (Warrenpoint) in '96 or '97 you just went out and played football, and the better man won, but, now, even at minor level it's down to tactics and crap like that.
"There is too much time spent in the gym and crap like that, or in front of tvs watching stuff."Maybe the likes of 'Skinner' (Eoin) Bradley he'd be a player I'd pay in to watch because he is that unpredictable."He is the type of fella that just plays off the cuff and does his own thing."With a lot of county footballers it's more to do with how fit you are, stuff like that – it sickens me too at times.

Plus there is all the damage the training does to players.
Joe Brolly talking sense for a change :

"It's fascinatinto see how Gooch's physique has transformed in the past decade. At first, a lithe, supremely supple footballer, running riot in his first final against Mayo. In the end, a muscled, tight, gymnastic physique. Darragh ó Sé described this metamorphosis brilliantly a few years back with the classic line: "You used to see Gooch swigging a bottle of Coca-Cola and eating a bag of crisps. Now, he walks down the main street in Killarney sipping spring water and eating a banana."
In the period between September and May 2013, over half of the Kildare senior squad (16 players) went under the knife."

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on November 23, 2016, 04:59:07 PM
Kicking long reduces the likelihood of the team retaining possession. It should make things more interesting.
I think the game as it is now is biased towards defenders, a bit like catenaccio , the Italian soccer defensive system.

Donegal v Kildare 2011 is a good example of puke football

Kildare broke the ball down in midfield and made 9 passes with fellas within scoring range for some before Donegal committed a foul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWlABqUppF0
Start at 3.10
Donegal v Kildare 2011 was intriguing contest between two totally committed sides with some outstanding scores, both set of players gave their all during that 90 minute game. It was a much better watch than the majority of games I saw this summer.

BennyCake

Quote from: Zulu on November 23, 2016, 04:38:06 PM
A keeper taking a kickout would only be kicking it 25 yards or so if their opponents caught it 40 yards from goal so therefore I don't think it is risky kicking it long but it is risky kicking is medium to short. I think the default setting of too many people is to list all the possible downsides whereas lets have a look at it and see if it brings anything positive. As I said before, I think it will make little difference either way.

But it's the obvious downsides/weaknesses in the rules that coaches will seek to exploit.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on November 23, 2016, 06:10:41 PM

But it's the obvious downsides/weaknesses in the rules that coaches will seek to exploit.
Teams will obviously need to get 14 players on the goal line while the goalie is kicking thé ball out.

Zulu

Quote from: BennyCake on November 23, 2016, 06:10:41 PM

But I'm not sure those downsides exist or will impact upon coaches thinking. Any team I would coach would focus on how we can get possession from all our kickouts. Likewise we would focus on the other team not winning clean possession, especially out the field. However, I don't think a guy winning a free kick 60 yards from our goal would make me nervous about our keeper kicking it long for a contested kick. You're probably right though, coaches will probably look at it from how can we break it down from opponents rather than how can we use it to our advantage. We are far too negative in our thinking about football with naïve being the worst thing a coach can be accused of.

Blowitupref

I don't see the game changing much with this new rule. Defences were on top the last few years, the best footballers are all arguably playing in defence and its a pattern that will continue in the years ahead. The way the game has gone it could be a while before another forward wins footballer of year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

True, not sure there's any point playing a good player in the full forward line anymore while you'd have to consider playing your best players in your half back line from now on. I wonder will Ciaran McManus find himself played as a half back before his career is over? Jamie Clarke had some time there but there's quite a few very good forwards who would have more tools to be very effective coming from deep facing the goal rather than running from sideline to sideline trying to find space behind 12 players standing in front of them.

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 23, 2016, 06:53:03 PM
I don't see the game changing much with this new rule. Defences were on top the last few years, the best footballers are all arguably playing in defence and its a pattern that will continue in the years ahead. The way the game has gone it could be a while before another forward wins footballer of year.
I don't think 6 all-star forwards are justified under the current fashion. The Dubs got 3 which was very generous

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on November 23, 2016, 09:14:00 PM
True, not sure there's any point playing a good player in the full forward line anymore while you'd have to consider playing your best players in your half back line from now on. I wonder will Ciaran McManus find himself played as a half back before his career is over? Jamie Clarke had some time there but there's quite a few very good forwards who would have more tools to be very effective coming from deep facing the goal rather than running from sideline to sideline trying to find space behind 12 players standing in front of them.

Is he still going?!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DuffleKing

McManus started his intercounty career as a wing back if memory serves...

westbound

Quote from: BennyCake on November 23, 2016, 04:13:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 23, 2016, 03:48:27 PM
I think Stephen Cluxton, and other accurate (normally!!) kick out experts might result in a few marks. It just has to be caught cleanly before it bounces, right? There's no stipulation it has to be a soaring catch to the clouds?

In that case, a  45 metre driven kick to a man running towards the sideline would also count as a mark, and I think that will be seen more than the contested high catch with the big man winning it. Half forwards and half backs might get more marks than midfielders.

Is a mark also awarded to the other team? If a kickout is caught by the opposition outside your 45, is a mark awarded then? And can they score from it?

Never thought about that. I presume so.

In that case, a kick out reaching 40 yards that is caught by opposing team basically gifts them a 40 yard free and a handy enough score. Makes you wonder why a keeper would kick long, doesn't it?

The mark only applies for kick outs that go to or past the 45m line. Therefore the closest that a free in for a mark for the opposition could possibly be is on the 45 (And usually it'd be a bit further out, so hardly a handy enough score!).
I don't know if the rule allows you to score directly from a mark, but my guess is that it does.

But the way teams/managers are risk averse at the moment, keepers are unlikely to kick out long if there is a chance that the opposition will get a free kick to attack from around halfway.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the mark. It could have a benefit (particularly in the short term), but in the long term I can't see how it will prevent the defensive structures/mindsets from remaining.

seafoid

Is the problem the midgets that crowd the midfield or the fitness levels or the fact it is a game for defences or the tactics ?
Can it be reformed to give a decent spectacle or do we just have to wait ?