Started by seafoid, November 21, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 22, 2017, 12:35:35 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 22, 2017, 10:04:54 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 21, 2017, 04:54:56 PM
Quote from: westbound on March 21, 2017, 04:16:06 PM
Agree.

But I wouldn't be definitive about any rule change until it's had at least one championship! Lets see how the smartest managers set up to use it / nullify it during the  championship.

Then we'll have a better idea of it's true worth.

Cian O'Neill has Kildare using it well, set piece scores I call them. We have scored a lot points like this.

https://youtu.be/reObOgIks_0?t=137

Clever simple tactic. Big brother is always watching https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/844266452005937155

At least he credited my observations,. One of the bether gaa journalists on Twitter in fairness worth a follow.

Absolutely, tossup between himself and John Fogarty for the best gaa journalist who regularly churns out articles.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

I think the rule has the potential to open up the space between the FB line and HB/midfield, as if your midfielder takes a mark from an opposition kick-out, the players closest to him are effectively taken out of the game.
If you have a runner coming from your own half at pace, he can attack the space behind them in combination with a runner from the FF line.
Gives the attacking team the option of a quick one-two or even a ball over the top into the space that has been vacated by the runner from FF.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JimStynes

What do you all think of the mark at this stage then? I like it. Definitely rewards high fielding like Colm Cavanagh's catch today.

Jinxy

It is one of those rare rule changes that has had exactly the effect that was intended.
Definitely seeing more clean catches around the middle.
Doesn't slow the game down at all either.

Il Bomber Destro

Games are much more enjoyable and open when the kickouts go long.

Jinxy

Mind you, I could have done without seeing Kildare take three marks in a row off our kick-out in the first-half yesterday evening.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Jinxy on June 18, 2017, 07:48:08 PM
It is one of those rare rule changes that has had exactly the effect that was intended.

I have to say I was skeptical but I am now completely converted. It has done a great job at clearing out the midfield muddle after a high catch. The opposition seem to back off immediately instead of swarming the fielder and play can go on as normal without the need for a free unless the player goes to ground.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It was a rule change I was completely wrong about too, it has definitely improved the game.

EagleLord

I was in favour of the mark from day 1. Thankfully many doubters are coming round to it. Yesterdays game in Clones had many fine examples of it being a positive rule change. Colly Cavanaghs one in particular because he was arched back and caught it and landed on his back. Old rule would have sen him swarmed, and either get blown for over carrying or he would have just hand passed the ball out to anywhere, trying to avoid the over carrying.

Thankfully people see it doesn't slow the game down, at all, it isn't that hard to referee, and it opens new doors tactically. Would I be right in saying Mickey Harte wasn't a fan of it when it was first proposed? I'm sure he was happy with it yesterday, launched several attacks from good marks.

The rules gives men the confidence that they can launch themselves in the air to make a spectacular catch, without fear of being hounded when you land. It can only lead to more gravity defying catches. Which surely everyone enjoys?

sligoman2

As a former midfielder I was a huge fan of the mark and expected it to be successful.  High catching is a feature of the game and should be encouraged.

My other two changes are

1).  2 refs
2). A clock so players know exactly how much time is left.  Why should this be a mystery?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

twohands!!!

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 18, 2017, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 18, 2017, 07:48:08 PM

I have to say I was skeptical but I am now completely converted. It has done a great job at clearing out the midfield muddle after a high catch. The opposition seem to back off immediately instead of swarming the fielder and play can go on as normal without the need for a free unless the player goes to ground.

This is because the rule was drafted well in the sense that there is a clear punishment if players don't get out of the way properly and refs enforced this from day one. Basically if players don't retreat/get out of the way, the punishment is pretty much a guaranteed shot (albeit from a longish distance) at the posts. In the situation where a player has chosen to play on as opposed to taking the free, the team's long-distance kicker can be brought in to have a pop at the posts.

QuoteTaking the mark -
Once the player indicates he is taking the 'Mark', the opposing players must retreat 10m to allow the player space to take the kick. If an opposing player deliberately blocks or attempts to block the kick within 10m, or if an opposing player impedes the player while he is taking the kick, the Referee shall penalise the opposing team by bringing the ball forward 13m.

Playing on -
(ii) If the Player is illegally challenged, a free kick shall be awarded to his team from the point at which the challenge is made, and this free kick may be taken by any player on his team.

manfromdelmonte

teams are going to start breaking the ball a lot more.
its hard for players to retreat if they don't know if the player is going to play on or try to take the mark

will be interesting to see how it develops

Keyser soze

I though this would be a crap rule and was opposed to its introduction but I must say that so far it has had a very positive impact on the game.

However as the apocryphal story goes about what the Chinese PM replied when asked about the merits of the French revolution on its 200th anniversary "it's too early to tell". 

Might be a wise stance on this issue lol.

BennyHarp

Whilst I admit that the mark appears to be working and has been positive so far i would have a bit of concern about its future impact. I believe that teams were pushing up on short kick outs anyway and this has led more to the longer kick outs that we are seeing more than the introduction of the mark - Mickey Harte said as much after the game on Sunday. My worry is that the mark will create a further advantage to kicking long that the more conservative teams might deem as too high risk, therefore reverting to conceding the short kick out again - which in my view is an absolute blight on the game. So inadvertently the mark may slow down the move away from short kick outs that may have been happening anyway. Having said all this - I'll view the mark on its merits so far and agree  that it appears to be a success.
That was never a square ball!!

thebuzz

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 19, 2017, 12:19:00 PM
As a former midfielder I was a huge fan of the mark and expected it to be successful.  High catching is a feature of the game and should be encouraged.

My other two changes are

1).  2 refs
2). A clock so players know exactly how much time is left.  Why should this be a mystery?

At Fraher Field in Dungarvan the clock was on the scoreboard. It was great for the supporters and the players.