Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: charlieTully on October 22, 2017, 08:30:11 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 22, 2017, 07:23:54 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-its-now-a-question-of-what-we-truly-stand-for-36249217.html

is this total shite or retrospective? bizarre it would be Oct before an under 16 final would need to be played in any county.

According to Antrim GAA website the Under 16 Final is between St Brigid's and Con Magee's Glenravel at Aghagallon on Tue 24 Oct 2017 at 7 30 PM.

http://antrim.gaa.ie/fixtures/fixtures-results/upcoming-fixtures

Confirmed in St Brigid's twitter account:

https://twitter.com/Naomhbridclg?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

bannside

The match Joe was talking about was the South Antrim (Belfast) regional final. The winners now play off in All County final.

JimStynes

Joe is a great WUM to be fair. But what does he actually want the GAA to do or be like? He looks at GAA with a lot of nostalgia and with a 'the good old days' attitude.

dublin7

Quote from: JimStynes on October 22, 2017, 09:45:36 PM
Joe is a great WUM to be fair. But what does he actually want the GAA to do or be like? He looks at GAA with a lot of nostalgia and with a 'the good old days' attitude.

It's a sad state of affairs when posters on this mb are accusing Joe of lying about his son playing a football match and the post is allowed to remain. The abuse has reached a new low and that's saying something.

I thought his piece today was excellent. Comparing all the unheralded work done by volunteers in the GAA against Colm Copper's "testimonial" dinner. It's a pity some of the haters on this mb can't take off their anti Joe blinkers.

imtommygunn

The question is valid though... What does this utopian gaa world that joe wants look like?

dublin7

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 22, 2017, 10:18:22 PM
The question is valid though... What does this utopian gaa world that joe wants look like?

I think his point is quite simple in that people get involved in the GAA and do it for free for their club and community not to get a six figure pay out from it

JimStynes

I am not a fan of the testimonial but at the same time I see Gooch's point as well. You say the answer is simple and that's everyone just muck in and do it all for free. What about all the managers around the country charging clubs fortunes to manage them each year? That has more of an impact on clubs than the likes of a testimonial dinner would. All the big shots in croke park getting paid big money? The money at the elite end of the sport isn't going away and it is inevitable that there will be some form of semi pro set up. 10, 20 or 30 years I'm not sure but people are kidding themselves if they think it's not.

To be fair to Joe, he definitely does his bit for his club considering how busy he is. Joe's club is also very lucky that it is situated in the most affluent part of Belfast and it has a lot of smart (and wealthy) people helping out. We used to love playing against them as the spread of food after each game was amazing  :D

Gold

Totally agree with Joe on this one. Great article.

I know managers get paid etc but Gooch's "come to my dinner and give me money" sticks in the craw, it just isnt right

Gooch will get paid handsomely for RTE work, newspaper columns, his book and didnt need this. It is pure greed. Have dinner surely, but the profits going to him doesnt seem right.

What about Tony Scullion and Kevin Brady from Antrim who played over 10 years and trained every bit as hard but enjoyed not a morsol of Goochs heady croker days. They were class players yet theres no testimonial for them, no book and no RTE gig as they were born in the wrong corner of the country.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

rrhf

Economically if this prevails there will be no justification for a lad staying in a weaker county when he can become wealthy with another. Legally it may become impossible to prevent. Gaa is open in time to descrimination cases taken by talented footballers from lesser counties..

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on October 22, 2017, 10:09:46 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 22, 2017, 09:45:36 PM

It's a sad state of affairs when posters on this mb are accusing Joe of lying about his son playing a football match and the post is allowed to remain. The abuse has reached a new low and that's saying something.

I thought his piece today was excellent. Comparing all the unheralded work done by volunteers in the GAA against Colm Copper's "testimonial" dinner. It's a pity some of the haters on this mb can't take off their anti Joe blinkers.

I wouldn't be his biggest fan but I agree with this statement. Not sure what to think about Gooch's dinner but Im leaning towards not agreeing with it

longballin

There is a lot of hate on here for Brolly no matter what he says...

rosnarun

Quote from: longballin on October 23, 2017, 10:15:10 AM
thats because he has lost any creditability long time ago and many times since
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

longballin

Quote from: rosnarun on October 23, 2017, 10:18:44 AM
Quote from: longballin on October 23, 2017, 10:15:10 AM
thats because he has lost any creditability long time ago and many times since

Not in my eyes or those of many others... maybe among the GPA and those selfishly milking the GAA for their own personal gain ££££

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera