The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Leeds could do worse than playing the new keeper up front, as the regular strikers have been letting us down. The big problem has been Healy, who has only managed four from play, plus three penalties, all season. He has started the vast majority of games for Leeds, against some very ordinary opposition, but does not look particularly interested. In an NI shirt, taking on some big name defenders, he scores almost every game. When he got his celebrated hattrick against Spain last year, Gerry Armstrong said he was worth £20m. Most  Leeds fans would have gladly accepted £2m, and spent it on a decent replacement, but there were no offers at all during the transfer window. Now he is injured anyway, at a crucial period for Leeds. We still have a chance of staying up, because there are so many poor teams just ahead of us, but it is going to be a tough run-in.

Farrandeelin

What do you Whites think of the Leeds player who told a Palace player of the team for today's match? Dennis Wise said the player would never play again for the club.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 10, 2007, 09:57:54 PM
What do you Whites think of the Leeds player who told a Palace player of the team for today's match? Dennis Wise said the player would never play again for the club.

Didn't see any names mentioned - wasn't Neil Sullivan by chance? He wasn't playing yesterday. Big big win for Leeds - QPR in 19th are only three points ahead and Leeds have a game in hand - that spare game though is away to Birmingham. Still, there's hope!   :)

paddypastit

If it was Sullivan, think that was just a handy excuse / piece of Wise propaganda to keep the fans onside.  Sullivan got cut the day Wise came in - only recalled from loan when Stack got injured and he's fit again now... not that he's done anything to prove that he is a better keeper IMO.  Still given the table, there's certainly hope despite the multiple shortcomings
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Billys Boots

What's the next month of games look like?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

paddypastit

Saturday, 17 February 
Cardiff v Leeds, 15:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 20 February
Leeds v QPR, 19:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 24 February
Wolverhampton v Leeds, 15:00
Tuesday, 27 February
Birmingham v Leeds, 19:45
Saturday, 03 March
Leeds v Sheff Wed, 15:00
Saturday, 10 March
Leeds v Luton, 15:00
Tuesday, 13 March
Leicester v Leeds, 19:45
Saturday, 17 March
Southend v Leeds, 15:00
Saturday, 31 March
Leeds v Preston, 15:00
Saturday, 07 April
Leeds v Plymouth, 15:00
Monday, 09 April
Colchester v Leeds, 15:00
Saturday, 14 April
Leeds v Burnley, 15:00
Saturday, 21 April
Southampton v Leeds, 15:00
Saturday, 28 April
Leeds v Ipswich, 15:00
Sunday, 06 May
Derby v Leeds, 15:00

Interesting last day - will it be the day Championship / promotion or relegation is sealed
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Mourne Rover

LUFC websites are strongly suggesting that the team was leaked by Shaun Derry, a former Palace player who has been out injured, although there are other claims that the whole affair has been blown out of all proportion. When the dust settles, we will still need at least five wins, plus a couple of draws, from our final 15 games to stay up. I think that, on current form, we can just about do it, but it will be very tight.

paddypastit

Quotethere are other claims that the whole affair has been blown out of all proportion
Seems to me like an excuse made in advance. Have to say as an LU fan, I think it's hollow. A good team taht believes in itself wouldn't give a stuff about the opposition knowing its line up in advance - if they're good enough and play to their ability they will win.  If they're not good enough... well.  Botteom line is it is the team's own hands to play to their ability.  If they don't blaming a leaked teamsheet is just an excuse

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: paddypastit on February 12, 2007, 08:27:46 PM
Quotethere are other claims that the whole affair has been blown out of all proportion
Seems to me like an excuse made in advance. Have to say as an LU fan, I think it's hollow. A good team taht believes in itself wouldn't give a stuff about the opposition knowing its line up in advance - if they're good enough and play to their ability they will win.  If they're not good enough... well.  Botteom line is it is the team's own hands to play to their ability.  If they don't blaming a leaked teamsheet is just an excuse

Yes Paddy, but the best of it is Leeds won. I was reading the Leeds forums today myself, and given what Peter Taylor has said (and Taylor would come across to me as a man of integrity) it appears to have been an innocent conversation between two ex club mates that has been blown unbelieveably out of all proportion. Taylor has indicated, despite his friendship with Wise, that he's very disappointed in the bould Dennis and told him so! 

I would suspect that Dennis has some other agenda here. Will be interesting to see whose name comes out of the hat!  :o

Rufus T Firefly

From BBC Sport

QuoteWise claims one of his players betrayed him by giving Palace his starting XI and, while he refused to name him, said he would never pick him again.

But Harvey told BBC Radio Leeds: "While we know it happened, we do not know which Leeds United player it was"

Jesus wept - does that mean, on the basis of what the bould Dennis was saying, that the whole squad is up for sale?   ::)

Rufus T Firefly

Big opportunity missed out on tonight with a draw at home to QPR. This, following on from the Cardiff defeat when Cardiff finished with nine men, leaves things continuing to look ominous!   

Uncle Ken put the prices down for the game, and there was nearly 30k at it. At a time when support is needed, I hope the lesson is taken on board!  ::)

SLIGONIAN

Well as newly joined member its good to see a Leeds thread. QPR last night was a huge game but draw wont do much for either. Still believe we will scrape out of relegation. 29000 at the game was great turnout. A sleeping giant we definitly are. Stick with Leeds because things will turn eventually. Football goes round in cycles of ups and downs and look at MAN CITY a few years ago..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Spiritof98

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 21, 2007, 09:44:12 AM29000 at the game was great turnout. A sleeping giant we definitly are. 

I think you's are still in the fallen Giant category
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Billys Boots

Leeds are in serious trouble now, I'd be thinking.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 25, 2007, 06:05:25 PM
Leeds are in serious trouble now, I'd be thinking.

You are not wrong my friend - and the old game in hand goes this week - away to Birmingham!