Mark Vaughan dropped from Dublin Panel

Started by thebandit, July 22, 2009, 10:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmy

Quote from: Zapatista on July 22, 2009, 01:47:56 PM
Quote from: kevmy on July 22, 2009, 01:42:44 PM
Outside of the two Brogans, Jayo and possibly Keaney no one has nailed down a starting spot in the Dublin forward line this year

Yet Dublin have averaged over 2-18 per game in leinster. Not a bad return.

Not having a go at them. I'm just not sold at all on Connolly. Davoren is injured. So in my opinion if a talented player like Vaughan was in top form he would have a very good chance of gettin on the team let alone the panel. I don't think Dublin can afford to throw away players of his calibre. Don't know what happened between him and management, maybe he deserved it so I'm not going to have a big at Gilroy.

boojangles

Whatever about it being old news,anybody care to divulge why Vaughan was dropped?? PM maybe?
A fine talent,probably just hard handled. Gilroy and Co definitely look to be headin in the right direction.Obviously taking no shit.

Puckoon

I enjoy these suggestions of people being likened to Mortimer/Mulligan.
AFAIK Mulligan has never behaved as a brat or spat the dummy out. One incident in a pub was about all the trouble he gave Mickey Harte. Even when he wasn't making the team he knuckled right down and worked at it until he did.

A far cry from these eejits whose personal egos end up putting their teams at a disadvantage. If that's the deal with Vaughan and indeed Nicky Joyce a few months back, those boys can't be compared to mulligan. He's an allstar, all Ireland winner who likes to dye his fecking hair. If I was Ginger i'd do the same.

Roashter

NaomhBridAbú

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Zapatista

Quote from: Roashter on July 22, 2009, 07:12:03 PM
yes, but why was he dropped ??

I'd say gilroy has a long term plan. Much like Hearte said when O'Neill returned it was more to do with 09, 10, 11etc. If Gilroy thinks he needs to do this in order for Vaughan (or anyone else) to tow the line from now on in then I can't argue with it. Then again maybe he doesn't think Vaughan is that much of a loss ;)

INDIANA

Think heffo would agree that Mark was never in the frame. Its inconsequential from the managers point of view in the sense that he was never going to be used. Not saying I agree with it- but thats the long and short of it. Didn't turn up for training which is probably because he knows he's way out of the frame.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on July 22, 2009, 09:59:06 PM
Think heffo would agree that Mark was never in the frame. Its inconsequential from the managers point of view in the sense that he was never going to be used. Not saying I agree with it- but thats the long and short of it. Didn't turn up for training which is probably because he knows he's way out of the frame.

+1

guevara

I watched him in few games last year including All Ireland Club Final & to me it appears to care more about what he scores than how the team do. Against Cross he mustve hit 6/7 frees you knew he hadn't a hope in hell of putting over but persisted to shoot instead of going short.
I think in Mulligans case it was either Mickeys way or sit on the bench & he has knuckled down & got himself a place in Harte's system of pay, even if it means tracking back 60/70 yards, Im not sure if Vaughan would be prepared to do that.

He comes across as an "off the cuff" player, who is undoubtedly talented naturally but Gaelic Football has evolved massively in past 20 years. Its too much a risk hoping that Vaughan might turn up on day of big game & destroy teams. If he doesnt I don't believe he has the work ethic required to adapt his game when the chips are down & perform a different type of role ie working his b**ls off for the good of the team.
Gilroy has done a good job thus far & has brought Dublin away from the meadia circus created by Pillar & that clown Tommy Lyons.
He must be congratualted on that. Time will tell if this decision has proven to be theright one!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Jinxy

Quote from: guevara on July 24, 2009, 09:44:26 AM
I watched him in few games last year including All Ireland Club Final & to me it appears to care more about what he scores than how the team do. Against Cross he mustve hit 6/7 frees you knew he hadn't a hope in hell of putting over but persisted to shoot instead of going short.
I think in Mulligans case it was either Mickeys way or sit on the bench & he has knuckled down & got himself a place in Harte's system of pay, even if it means tracking back 60/70 yards, Im not sure if Vaughan would be prepared to do that.

He comes across as an "off the cuff" player, who is undoubtedly talented naturally but Gaelic Football has evolved massively in past 20 years. Its too much a risk hoping that Vaughan might turn up on day of big game & destroy teams. If he doesnt I don't believe he has the work ethic required to adapt his game when the chips are down & perform a different type of role ie working his b**ls off for the good of the team.
Gilroy has done a good job thus far & has brought Dublin away from the meadia circus created by Pillar & that clown Tommy Lyons.
He must be congratualted on that. Time will tell if this decision has proven to be theright one!

I don't think he is at all naturally talented.
He looks very much like a lad that took up gaelic football late in his life.
He has a massive kick.
Other than free-taking what does he offer at county level?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

He can score goals jinxy- his goal scoring record in terms of goals per games is very very good. We're not totally flush with players like that. I'd still worry that a game will come down to a long range place kick.

Zulu

I agree with Jinxy, I can't for the life of me see where other posters are coming from, an average IC footballer at best, outside of his free taking I wouldn't even consider him for the Dublin panel let alone team.

guevara

Indiana you cant't include the guy for simple reason you may get a long range free in the dying minutes!
Look at Bryan Sheehan with Kerry, excellent freetaker (much more consistent & accurate than Vaughan) yet cant seem to get consistent game time as he doesnt do enough in general over 70 mins.
In my opinion Vaughan would rather have "a go" from 60 yards out & score 1 out of 6 & make all the papers than go for the sensible option & less selfish one.
He seems more worried about himself than the team & doesnt do anything over 70 mins to suggest that Pat Gilroy should have him on the field!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

INDIANA

Thats all well and good until a game comes down to one. We've been down this road many times before- more so than other counties. We're not flush with forward subs- and he's done well off the bench for Dublin before. I wouldn't pick him but I'd consider him for a 15min slot.

guevara

Well all I'll say is having watched him in few games & studied his overall accuracy & shot selection from placed balls I wouldnt like to have £100 on him putting it over unless it was a fairly easy one in front of the posts!
But I agree that at times when introduced to certain games (normally when Dublin are already winning) he can contribute with some lovely scores.
But theres gotta be other guys in Dublin Club Football capable of hitting frees & with a better work ethic than Vaughan??????

Michael Jordan