Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 25, 2012, 12:09:19 PM
It's not the heat that's the problem for me - struggling breathing as there's not much oxygen in it...

Still good being out in it but the speed work is pretty tough in it!

Yeah, much like that, sure if the breathing is suffering everything will suffer? Plus the mouthfulls of flies as well!

Was very little speed in my run anyways!

centre 3/4s

Hey guys really would love to get the running bug, firstly to lose a bit of beef and secondly to give myself something to do in these long evenings. I have always been involved in various sports so would have a basic level of fitness but could you recommend ways of motivating to gert started... also a good running app for my android

imtommygunn

Pick a target would be my advice. Even a 5k would do. Forget about times but getting round first. Then build from it and look at knocking time of this.

Breathing suffers, heart rate suffers, speed suffers etc etc The whole chain so to get much done early mornings required!

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 25, 2012, 03:51:40 PM
Pick a target would be my advice. Even a 5k would do. Forget about times but getting round first. Then build from it and look at knocking time of this.

Breathing suffers, heart rate suffers, speed suffers etc etc The whole chain so to get much done early mornings required!

It will be early in the morning tomorrow but on the bike. Nice long spin in the sunshine.

Quote from: centre 3/4s on May 25, 2012, 01:05:15 PM
Hey guys really would love to get the running bug, firstly to lose a bit of beef and secondly to give myself something to do in these long evenings. I have always been involved in various sports so would have a basic level of fitness but could you recommend ways of motivating to gert started... also a good running app for my android

Like Tommy said - target a 5k event in your area in 8-10wks - check out the calender on runireland. Then download one of the many couch to 5km apps for your phone. Or simply print one off on the internet. If you have a target and event to work to, it will serve as motivation. My missus done this last October for a 5km and just done her first 10km a few weeks back.

Just take it easy and follow the beginner plan and it will all come together. Plan to just get it done - the first time is a new PB regardless of taking 30mins or 1 hour or more.

Bingo

Did one of those VO2 tests yesterday. Very interesting and picked up some good info from it regards training and others areas.

Few other lads done it and the difference in what people need to be doing from one man to the next really shows that alot of running is about individual needs and as the tester said, collective training can only target a small part of your needs if people at different levels.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on May 28, 2012, 02:39:01 PM
Did one of those VO2 tests yesterday. Very interesting and picked up some good info from it regards training and others areas.

Few other lads done it and the difference in what people need to be doing from one man to the next really shows that alot of running is about individual needs and as the tester said, collective training can only target a small part of your needs if people at different levels.
Where about's did you do it? Is it the same lad who was advertised in the Irish Runner magazine a couple of months back. Would be interesting to do.

Oak Leafer

Lads, sorry for interrupting your discussion.

I had managed of late to do a little running on the treadmill. The legs have strengthened up and i feel i want to start doing some outdoor running.

Now due to injury, the knee's are dodgy to say the least, however i have realised its still possible to run without causing too much pain!

I could probably run 4/5km at this stage, but would like to progress to being able to do 10km (if possible!).

I was wondering if any of you more experienced runners could offer me some sort of training plan for getting me there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on June 01, 2012, 01:07:45 PM

Where about's did you do it? Is it the same lad who was advertised in the Irish Runner magazine a couple of months back. Would be interesting to do.

One of the lads organised him to come down to Blayney and done it in local Hotel gym, he's a young lad from Dublin - http://www.myhealthmatters.ie/ - his name is Sean and thats his webiste.

Its the second time he's been down in a few weeks, near 20 done it over all from local area. Not sure if its the same guy who was in Irish Runner. He going to come back in 3/4 months and do a follow test for anyone interested, to see if the pointers he give has worked.

I got a good bit from him.

Doing Newry half on Sunday. First official race doing a half, few training runs over the distance, so should be fun!

Bingo

Quote from: Oak Leafer on June 01, 2012, 02:38:48 PM
Lads, sorry for interrupting your discussion.

I had managed of late to do a little running on the treadmill. The legs have strengthened up and i feel i want to start doing some outdoor running.

Now due to injury, the knee's are dodgy to say the least, however i have realised its still possible to run without causing too much pain!

I could probably run 4/5km at this stage, but would like to progress to being able to do 10km (if possible!).

I was wondering if any of you more experienced runners could offer me some sort of training plan for getting me there.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://halhigdon.staging.racersites.com/training/

Alot of people would use the plans above - plenty of variation in them in terms of levels of running.

Its all about little steps and building up to the distance. I'd not know anything about the knees and how they be affected by the running or how to factor them into a knee. You know more on that yourself from experience or physio.

Oak Leafer

Cheers Bingo.

Ah yes i can manage the knee's, just need something in black and white to follow.

supersarsfields

Just wondering if anyone here can help. Have a strained Achilles tendon at the minute and very tight calf's ( I'd assume both are linked) But I'd laid off it now a few weeks and got a bit of physio on it but it doesn't seem to be any better. I'm doing a few stretches but nothing seems to make a difference.

Just wondering if many of you runners have problems with it? And if so any tips?

ballinaman

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 01, 2012, 02:57:25 PM
Just wondering if anyone here can help. Have a strained Achilles tendon at the minute and very tight calf's ( I'd assume both are linked) But I'd laid off it now a few weeks and got a bit of physio on it but it doesn't seem to be any better. I'm doing a few stretches but nothing seems to make a difference.

Just wondering if many of you runners have problems with it? And if so any tips?

Can you go up on your toes without pain in the achilles? Did the physio look at your feet or how you actually run?

1.Get yourself a small heel raise, 6-8mm should do. Can find them in a decent chemist. Put them in shoes that you wear throughout the day. It's going to give your achilles some slack in order to reduce inflammation. Wear for about 7 days max.

2.Ice x 10 mins 2-3 times per day.

3.Foam roll the calf muscle as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trtOpsCEkMo&feature=related   , It'll probably be too sore to lift yourself up off the ground initially when rolling but it'll be possible after a few days of it. 5-10mins per day.

4. You need to put a bit of tensile force through the achilles to stimulate healing so, try this exercise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Newse_A9kI4

Off the step on the stairs is handy and can use the railing for support if needs be. Important to slowly lower yourself down to when you feel stretch. 2 sets of 10 reps twice daily should do it.

Try a jog in 5-6 days, if still sore, stop and repeat those exercises for another week. Foam roll your calf 3-4 times a week to stop it happening again once you are painfree.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2012, 02:47:39 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 01, 2012, 01:07:45 PM

One of the lads organised him to come down to Blayney and done it in local Hotel gym, he's a young lad from Dublin - http://www.myhealthmatters.ie/ - his name is Sean and thats his webiste.

Its the second time he's been down in a few weeks, near 20 done it over all from local area. Not sure if its the same guy who was in Irish Runner. He going to come back in 3/4 months and do a follow test for anyone interested, to see if the pointers he give has worked.

I got a good bit from him.

Doing Newry half on Sunday. First official race doing a half, few training runs over the distance, so should be fun!
Thats the lad alright, heard good things about him from a good few people.

Best of luck. Real race doesn't start until 8 miles keep reminding yourself!! Heard it's a nice flat course once you get on the canal tow path....

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on June 01, 2012, 03:26:50 PM
Thats the lad alright, heard good things about him from a good few people.

Best of luck. Real race doesn't start until 8 miles keep reminding yourself!! Heard it's a nice flat course once you get on the canal tow path....

Cheers, yeah very much found it better to pace myself unlike the rabbit outa the traps I was a few months back.

supersarsfields

Cheers Ballina. Can stand on my toes now without pain but was walking with a limp for the first couple of days after it happened.
Physio only gave me a short rub as it was down at training and there was about 3 guys waiting after me. So wouldn't say it was intensive physio or anything.

Must give the heel insert a go to see how it fairs up. And I've been hearing alot about these foam rollers lately so might have to pick one up.