Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

They are stability shoes as the girl doing the gait analysis said it showed that I over pronate when I run. They wouldn't have anywhere near 400 miles of use yet. Closer to about 70/80 I'd say.

fitzroyalty

Any physios about...?
I was planning on starting training for Dublin marathon two weeks ago but instead done my ankle. (self-diagnosed as grade ii though probably wrong!)

Significant swelling from ankle down to toes, bruising from inside of ankle bone to the outside, as well as up the back of the leg a bit.

Swelling is almost completely gone as is most of the bruising. Toes remain bruised and slightly swollen. Foot is still quite tender. Can walk with only slight discomfort. How long, roughly, before I could do some light running?

imtommygunn

70 or 80 would mean they're definitely not worn out.

The only experience I have had of anything like that would have been through wearing stability shoes when they should have been neutral. Whether that is consistent with what you're getting I'm not sure but it's not impossible that the girl could be wrong either.

Here's an article on it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/530542-numbness-in-feet-and-calves-while-running/ . Important not to get alarmed as the last one could well be the cause...

Anyone running in belfast marathon yesterday could very easily get numbness in feet due to lack of feeling from the cold ;D

lurganblue

Had some good advice tonight so I've a few exercises to do plus I'm gonna do some small miles in my old neutral trainers. Hope to see an improvement in the next week or so.

imtommygunn

What are the exercises out of interest?

Fitz running puts a lot of weight through the ankles so best be careful on it. Plenty of time till Dublin yet.

lurganblue

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2012, 10:46:43 PM
What are the exercises out of interest?

Fitz running puts a lot of weight through the ankles so best be careful on it. Plenty of time till Dublin yet.

Calf stretches, moving the metatarsals about etc starting to think a change in footwear is a must though.

Fitz try a bit of straight line running on grass for a while first.

Last Man

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2012, 08:57:41 PM
Are they stability shoes lurganblue? I have felt this once or twice before on stability shoes when I should have been wearing neutrals so it was basically over cushioning.

If not how old are your trainers? 4-5 hundred miles would be recommended distance.

I know that you get GAIT analysis done in some shops with the trainers etc but not everyone doing this analysis knows what they're doing...
Podium4sport on Montgomery road do the video gait analysis for free, and the staff seem to know what they are talking about...You can try different shoes and watch the difference on the video playback.

imtommygunn

They do to be fair to them - one guy in particular there is very good.

amallon

Just a quick reminder about this weekends 10k for anyone interested.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Last Man

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2012, 11:13:38 AM
They do to be fair to them - one guy in particular there is very good.
Ginger beard??.....Greg

ballinaman

imtommygunn

45 yoyos a bit steep for a half marathon...

That's the very boy lastman.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 10, 2012, 12:16:02 PM
45 yoyos a bit steep for a half marathon...

That's the very boy lastman.
Aye, steep enough but in fairness to them, the t-shirt and goody bag is about 30 euro in value.They have 1.30 and 1.40 and 2.00 pacemakers with balloons like the marathon too.

imtommygunn

I think I paid 20 for great ireland but that was a club place and it was 30 otherwise but they're funded to the hilt by sponsors.

Any races I have ever done down south give you nothing but sweets in the goodie bag which is strange.

1:40 a strange time to pick for a pacemaker?

ballinaman

The race has a health food shop as a sponsor so plenty of samples and supplements in the bag too this year hopefully.

Ya, I thought that too. The lad doing it is a 1.18 man so not complaining, one less lad to contend with. :P Be delighted to nip under previous PB of 1.23.40 all going well.