Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Just realising that opening statement sounded a bit dodgy. I don't want to do a bit of that Orior.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

Trasna- what county are you refereeing in? I know a few Senior Armagh referees who would be nowhere near 20min for 2 miles, let alone 15-16.

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on November 17, 2011, 10:03:03 PM
Just realising that opening statement sounded a bit dodgy. I don't want to do a bit of that Orior.

How disappointing  :(

Maybe Rois would like a bit?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trasna man

Quote from: leaveherinsir on November 16, 2011, 08:40:55 PM
Trasna man, as a matter of interest would there be many refs who can run two mile in 15 mins? Seems to be a steep enough test that one?
I was going to make a smart comment about refeering Rasharkin/Carrickmore/Dromore games but ill leave it this time......... ;)

Ballinaman/imtommygunn, i was wondering if you lads would have advice on how to lower my 10k time. I can run 5 miles in just under 34mins at ny best, but i cant get my 10k below 44. If i could keep my five mile pace going i would be hittin around 42.30. Am i too optimistic to expect this in your considered opinion?
the referees in Derry haven't had to do a fitness test for a few years now but i would think a good few would make it croke park are insisting on fitness tests for referees in all county's for next season

trasna man

Quote from: tyroneman on November 18, 2011, 06:49:25 AM
Trasna- what county are you refereeing in? I know a few Senior Armagh referees who would be nowhere near 20min for 2 miles, let alone 15-16.
i have been told Tyrone have a very strict fitness test which you must pass to get on the club championship panel even to do the line which is serious but i think the referees that want to progress give it a right go

leaveherinsir

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2011, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on November 16, 2011, 09:50:35 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 16, 2011, 09:03:35 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on November 16, 2011, 08:40:55 PM
Trasna man, as a matter of interest would there be many refs who can run two mile in 15 mins? Seems to be a steep enough test that one?
I was going to make a smart comment about refeering Rasharkin/Carrickmore/Dromore games but ill leave it this time......... ;)

Ballinaman/imtommygunn, i was wondering if you lads would have advice on how to lower my 10k time. I can run 5 miles in just under 34mins at ny best, but i cant get my 10k below 44. If i could keep my five mile pace going i would be hittin around 42.30. Am i too optimistic to expect this in your considered opinion?

Are you running out for gas in the last 1.2 miles? A minimum of a 10 mile long run at the weekend, along with 2 speed sessions during the week and then 3 easy runs and a day off would be my training for 10Ks.
Sample 10k Training week

Monday - 5 Milles easy

Tuesday - Intervals,i.e 400m reps, minute on/minute off, 3x1 mile race pace reps with 3 min break between,

Wednesday- 6 Miles easy

Thursday- 5 miles easy

Friday - 4 Mile Fartlek (running hard for random lengths of time on a trail or cross country run) 5 Mile tempo run, raising the pace throughout the run so that fastest mile is from 2.5 to 3.5 and then lowering the pace to finish at same pace as you started. Hill work

Saturday- Off

Sunday - 10-12 easy Miles

Obviously that's a broad program, you'd increase/decrease reps and distances as you'd progress.
Probably more a case of not really knowing my own optimum pace than running out of gas. But i would normally be struggling over last mile, even in a five miler. Judging by your program, i need to start training more, because i wouldnt do that in two weeks never mind one. Cheers for the advice !! Running a 10k this weekend, so ill have a time after that to improve on. Btw, what would suggest as a good easy pace for me at my current level?

Easy would probably be around 8 minutes 30. Also doing a 10k on saturday. Seeley?
Yep, running that race also. Good luck!

leaveherinsir

46.55 for the 10k yesterday, way down on my best, went out too hard considering my lack of training in last few weeks. Gives me a target to aim for for the next one tho! How did you go imtommygunn?

imtommygunn

Low 37s, Was hoping for better but sure.

Bingo

Did 22.45 yesterday for 5km.

Got to 21.50 this morning. Bolding looking to beat 20 now in two weeks time.

Bingo

The Castleblayney 5KM flat run on this Sunday, plenty of interest and bodies signed up already for anyone in the region that is interested.

I doubt i'll break the 20min mark. Did 21.22 last weekend in wet and windy conditions, so maybe if I get under 21min on the day, I'll be happy.

ballinaman

Best of luck Bingo. Hope it goes well for you and the 20min mark will fall eventually even if its not this Sunday, weather might not be kind. Out with an ITB for the last few weeks so can't make the spin up but hope to be back training next week.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on December 01, 2011, 11:31:38 AM
Best of luck Bingo. Hope it goes well for you and the 20min mark will fall eventually even if its not this Sunday, weather might not be kind. Out with an ITB for the last few weeks so can't make the spin up but hope to be back training next week.

Cheers Ballinaman.

Weather looks like it will be cold and light rain, hoping thats as bad as it gets  - no wind or heavy rain.

I'm going to start training for the longer distances after christmas - doing a Duathlon over in Castlebar in March - about 38km - run/bike/hiking up a mountain/hill. Then the Gaelforces as well. Dublin has a new city centre half marathon on August bank holiday, so eyeing that as well. If all going well at that stage, i'll take on the dublin marathon. I'd actually be happier going at longer, slower pace that busting trying to beat the clock. But time will tell, could well turn in new year and do feck all, but my pal is very motivated and is pushing me down this line.

Hope the injury clears up and you back on the flat in no time.

Mayo4Sam

The duathlon in castlebar is a real toughie, the run is a killer, super steep on a cracked service road
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 01, 2011, 11:54:06 AM
The duathlon in castlebar is a real toughie, the run is a killer, super steep on a cracked service road

Yeah, been told that alright. Will be plenty of hill and trail running in new year, which isn't a problem round my way. Will be good prep for the two Gael Forces, North and West.

Bingo

5km went fierce well, about 450 done it on a cold december day!

My time was about 20.20, very happy with it. few pints after it....not so happy with that :)