Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Such an enjoyable game in Creggan today, with what can only be described as a stunning goal from Tomas Mc Cann from a  free kick to win the game. Cargin the better team over the hour, but the St Galls goals looked like they had it won, they will wonder how they conceded the goal with the game literally over, so many players on the line and still it hit the roof of the net. Final word on the ref, his decision to haul back for a free when a Cargin player was ready score a goal three minutes into injury, which would have won the game for Cargin,  when he had signaled advantage was as a bad a decision as you will ever see. I said to my friend if Cargin loose I was worried if the ref would have gotten off the pitch, as he simply had denied them that chance to win it.

Great game

Mickey Linden

Quote from: hardstation on October 06, 2018, 07:15:15 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 06, 2018, 02:58:38 PM
Cuchullian's 2-07
St Brigid's 0-11

What odds a country minor final.....JS..?
Is St. Gall's beating Aghagallon a big shock? There seems to be a lot of talk about these Aghagallon teams coming through, a hope they'll make the transition to senior and be a real force.
I know they pipped us in an U21 final a couple of years ago but apart from that what else have they won at Minor & U21?

No big shock today HS. St galls never easy beat at any level. Fair play to them. Should be a good final.

Whos "us" they pipped at u21 if you dont mind me asking? Think they beat one of those belfast almagation teams in that final? They also played an almagation team in the minor final last year. A few st teresas players the standouts on that team.

Underage success is no real gauge anyhow. Been a while since cargin won an underage title id say but they find themselves back in another senior final today.

Hectic

Quote from: hardstation on October 06, 2018, 07:15:15 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 06, 2018, 02:58:38 PM
Cuchullian's 2-07
St Brigid's 0-11

What odds a country minor final.....JS..?
Is St. Gall's beating Aghagallon a big shock? There seems to be a lot of talk about these Aghagallon teams coming through, a hope they'll make the transition to senior and be a real force.
I know they pipped us in an U21 final a couple of years ago but apart from that what else have they won at Minor & U21?

Aghagallon are doing great work at underage but we have heard that song before. Challenge is now to take the next step. Good luck to them. Would be good to see a new face in the mix.

Mickey Linden

8 antrim players getting to the pinacle of schools football and receiving a hogan cup medal in croke park might explain some of the hype in what otherwise is an absolute bleak outlook for the county? Care to explain the rest?

Mainstay of johnnies 3 in a row team on verge of competing in county finals in both codes. Hype justified.

Congratulations to st teresas/o donnells/mitchells/pearses in reaching county b final again along with rossa. Adh mor

Hoof Hearted

One of the best club matches in recent years ( in any county ) and all the chat is about minor teams
This was some game end to end stuff no dirty slaps just great football from both teams
Conceding 4-10 obviously won't win a county final so there's work to be done
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Mickey Linden

Brilliant game. Absolute credit to both teams. Trojan efforts.

Been mentioned here before, all the top players were over 30. Not to take away from the efforts on the day but long term it aint great. Mention underage achivements on here and it only hype. Fair plau to st galls and cargin tho. Be a while before we see their likes again

bannside

Superb game today by two very well drilled teams. As good a spectacle as you would see anywhere. I had to leave six or seven minutes early and missed Cargins late comeback. Credit to both teams that match will be remembered for many years.

Marty Kane would strengthen the Cargin defence and now John Carron back too gives Mr Cassidy a selection headache of the kind he wont mind for the final.

Hoof Hearted

I take your point Mickey but there were quite a few under 30's who were excellent today  too
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Mickey Linden on October 07, 2018, 12:19:12 AM
8 antrim players getting to the pinacle of schools football and receiving a hogan cup medal in croke park might explain some of the hype in what otherwise is an absolute bleak outlook for the county? Care to explain the rest?

Mainstay of johnnies 3 in a row team on verge of competing in county finals in both codes. Hype justified.

Congratulations to st teresas/o donnells/mitchells/pearses in reaching county b final again along with rossa. Adh mor
Rossa in the minor B Championship and didn't play in any league this year! what's that all about? should they be allowed to do that? if all clubs decided to play championships only where would that leave us.....

imtommygunn

Massive win for Creggan.  Glenravel won junior and St endas beat money glass.

Creggan in their first final in 41 years.

bannside

Couldn't believe St John's played one man up front during the entire second half with a huge wind at their back. Having said that, Creggan looked good value for their win to set up a tasty first ever all country final.

imtommygunn

How are the younger creggan guys looking? Kevin small and liam quinn look like decent county prospects.

Spike

Duneane parish county final.  MR2 must be in meltdown.

paddyjohn

A South west treble is still on course then!

country bumpkin

Quote from: Spike on October 07, 2018, 07:40:19 PM
Duneane parish county final.  MR2 must be in meltdown.

MR2 has gone AWOL........Foreign Legion?