Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Not as bad as the CGI face on Superman/Henry Cavill at the start of Justice League. Brutal. 

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2018, 09:31:55 PM
Not as bad as the CGI face on Superman/Henry Cavill at the start of Justice League. Brutal.

He refused to shave off a moustache he was growing for another role when Joss Weston was doing extensive re-shoots after he took over from Snyder who had left/been fired, so they had to CG out his lip rat to fit with the rest of the scenes. Probably the most ridiculous waste of money in the history of CG.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Syferus on March 08, 2018, 09:36:00 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 08, 2018, 09:31:55 PM

He refused to shave off a moustache he was growing for another role when Joss Weston was doing extensive re-shoots after he took over from Snyder who had left/been fired, so they had to CG out his lip rat to fit with the rest of the scenes. Probably the most ridiculous waste of money in the history of CG.
Yes saw that the other night after googling it. I'm sure he was popular as the Marvel DC people must have knew it looked like shit. I like your movie posts by the way. Keep at it. The rugby trial not so much  ;D

nrico2006

The mocumentary style was a major negative for me. Never saw as dumb a man as Hardings bodyguard, unreal.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 08, 2018, 11:38:31 PM
The mocumentary style was a major negative for me. Never saw as dumb a man as Hardings bodyguard, unreal.

I was amazed when I saw the real news clips from the tv interview with him. He really did call himself a national security expert. He looked like a character who wandered out of a bad Adam Sandler film.

I think the filmmakers were so enamoured with the slapstick nature of the characters and events around the actual plot to attack Kerrigan that they ended up applying the black comedy sheen that may have made sense for some of the scenes to the whole Tonya Harding story, which honestly was far more interesting and deeper than simply kneecapping a competitor.

Domestic and child abuse is played for laughs one too many times for comfort. There was a great story they could have told about Harding struggling with those issues as well as the class warfare of being looked down on by the ice skating elite for being an unconventional working class woman from a broken home, but those aspects are shown and then glossed over or undercut by comedy.

The director's wheelhouse is comedy film and it shows. A different director would probably have toned down the comedy and let the dramatic elements breath.

Again I thought Robbie was so good in the titular role that I feel sorry the parts around her didn't quiete come together like they could have.

Oraisteach

Get Out was terrific.  3 Billbords Outside Ebbing, Missouri, also a winner!

Syferus

I've been watching the Rocky movies recently.

For movies that essentially follow a similar synopsis in each they change massively stylistically as they go. Rocky I won the Best Picture Oscar and it was deserving of recognition, a film more in line with new wave cinema from the likes of Scorsese and Coppola than Hollywood melodrama, and Sly drawing comparisons to a peak Brando for his performance as a genuinely likeable outsider weren't far off the mark at all.

Carl Weathers is so good as Apollo Creed that he goes from being a device to tell Rocky's story to the most tragic figure in the series by sheer force of personality.

Rocky II is the slowest of the films, and if not for the mangled ending to V might be my least favourite of them all but it still is a very enjoyable ride. Mr. T's threatening force of nature performance in III made him such a great antagonist with very little dialogue. And Apollo training Rocky might be my favourite training montage in a series filled with great ones. And the ending to III is easily the best of the lot.

Rocky IV might be my favourite of the lot, not because it does anything ground-breaking but for how economical it is. Barely 90 minutes long, filled with the most perfect 80s power rock soundtrack you will ever hear, you get the stakes and characters established with barely a word spoken by Drago ("If he dies, he dies") or even Rocky, it's a music video action film masquerading as a sports drama. It's over the top (it ends with Rocky ending the Cold War with a speech), but in its own way it remains consistent to the tone it's aiming for. Paulie's robot servant is about the only thing that seems out of place.

V returned the director of I and shifted the focus back towards Rocky's family, and his relationship with his son. This actually plays out pretty effectively until the climatic street fight with (then world champion) Tommy Gunn. Originally Stallone had intended for Rocky to die in that fight but changed his mind midway through production, which is probably part of the reason why it feels so meaningless and inconsequential. In fairness, despite the change crashing V into a brick wall, it saved Rocky from an ending that didn't really suit his plucky underdog everyman and we eventually got two excellent follow-ups in Rocky Balboa and Creed.

Creed II is essentially going to be a sequel to Rocky IV with Adonis fighting Drago's son, which sounds amazing on paper.

The Iceman

Wathed "The Foreigner" over the weekend where an elderly Jackie Chan takes on the RA. Surprisingly good. Probably the best film I've seen of Jackie's in decades.
Brosnan's accent was way off the mark (I've heard yanks with better efforts) but the action was great and the story line was on point. 7.5/10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Watched Annihilation on Netflix at the weekend based on decent reviews. Didn't do it for me at all - 6/10 at a push.

Made the mistake of watching The Fantastic Four (2015) on tv. Pure pish - 3/10.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2018, 01:39:54 PM
Watched Annihilation on Netflix at the weekend based on decent reviews. Didn't do it for me at all - 6/10 at a push.

Made the mistake of watching The Fantastic Four (2015) on tv. Pure pish - 3/10.

Annihilation would be lucky to get a 4 from me - really bad. On a sidenote, watched Willy Wonka, Sound of Music and Annie the past few days for the first time. I must be a harsh critic because i thought they were all poor enough too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Arthur_Friend

Watched the Outsider on Netflix, nothing special but entertaining enough. 6/10.

The Iceman

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on March 19, 2018, 03:03:42 PM
Watched the Outsider on Netflix, nothing special but entertaining enough. 6/10.
wasn't fussed on it at all - watchable but very slow and a lot of unanswered questions
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on March 13, 2018, 07:00:31 PM
I've been watching the Rocky movies recently.

For movies that essentially follow a similar synopsis in each they change massively stylistically as they go. Rocky I won the Best Picture Oscar and it was deserving of recognition, a film more in line with new wave cinema from the likes of Scorsese and Coppola than Hollywood melodrama, and Sly drawing comparisons to a peak Brando for his performance as a genuinely likeable outsider weren't far off the mark at all.

Carl Weathers is so good as Apollo Creed that he goes from being a device to tell Rocky's story to the most tragic figure in the series by sheer force of personality.

Rocky II is the slowest of the films, and if not for the mangled ending to V might be my least favourite of them all but it still is a very enjoyable ride. Mr. T's threatening force of nature performance in III made him such a great antagonist with very little dialogue. And Apollo training Rocky might be my favourite training montage in a series filled with great ones. And the ending to III is easily the best of the lot.

Rocky IV might be my favourite of the lot, not because it does anything ground-breaking but for how economical it is. Barely 90 minutes long, filled with the most perfect 80s power rock soundtrack you will ever hear, you get the stakes and characters established with barely a word spoken by Drago ("If he dies, he dies") or even Rocky, it's a music video action film masquerading as a sports drama. It's over the top (it ends with Rocky ending the Cold War with a speech), but in its own way it remains consistent to the tone it's aiming for. Paulie's robot servant is about the only thing that seems out of place.

V returned the director of I and shifted the focus back towards Rocky's family, and his relationship with his son. This actually plays out pretty effectively until the climatic street fight with (then world champion) Tommy Gunn. Originally Stallone had intended for Rocky to die in that fight but changed his mind midway through production, which is probably part of the reason why it feels so meaningless and inconsequential. In fairness, despite the change crashing V into a brick wall, it saved Rocky from an ending that didn't really suit his plucky underdog everyman and we eventually got two excellent follow-ups in Rocky Balboa and Creed.

Creed II is essentially going to be a sequel to Rocky IV with Adonis fighting Drago's son, which sounds amazing on paper.

I'm surprised at you saying you didn't like II. Rocky II has been said by some to be one of the rare sequels that was better than the original.

I agree that IV is so over-the-top it's almost a parody of itself.

Creed was superb.

Milltown Row2

I picked this film (Rocky) when it came out over here to watch over Easter with my dad and two brothers, I picked it because they were showing both, Rocky 1 and 2! Must have been 1980 or thereabouts! I remember my da saying at the start that it's looks crap! But at the end of both films we'd ghe gloves out in the house having boxing fights!

I picked the next film, Airplane!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Square Ball

Enjoyed Hidden Figures. Took a long time for these women to be rewarded for their contribution to the American space race and what they had to overcome.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid