Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Fella gets son binned on 15 th minute. He's off for ten minutes. During this time there is a 5 minute delay. Do you bring the fella who got win binned back on at 25 minutes?

Rossfan

Yes , its 10 minutes from when the ref restarted play after the sin binning.
A charter for cynicism and cheating I fear.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theticklemister

Quote from: Rossfan on January 14, 2020, 07:49:37 PM
Yes , its 10 minutes from when the ref restarted play after the sin binning.
A charter for cynicism and cheating I fear.

Yip

Milltown Row2

It's simple he's off the field for ten mins of play! If a team wants to fart about during that period the clock is stopped as normal and the player will come back on after the ref has decided the ten minutes of actual sin binning has occurred.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2020, 08:24:45 PM
It's simple he's off the field for ten mins of play! If a team wants to fart about during that period the clock is stopped as normal and the player will come back on after the ref has decided the ten minutes of actual sin binning has occurred.

Are you sure? If been trying to verify this but can't anywhere

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theticklemister on January 14, 2020, 08:25:39 PM

I was told, but I've in house training for refs on  Monday, it'll be covered then, let's just say if I'm refereeing, the player sin binned won't be coming til ten minutes of play has been done. Teams can fart about as much as they want
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2020, 09:03:13 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 14, 2020, 08:25:39 PM

I was told, but I've in house training for refs on  Monday, it'll be covered then, let's just say if I'm refereeing, the player sin binned won't be coming til ten minutes of play has been done. Teams can fart about as much as they want

When I referee the ladies, I write down the time I sin bin the player and if any minutes needed to be added on in that time, I do so.

Regarding verification, you would think these would be issued on the official gaa.ie to everyone to see. But like some of the GAA rules , there is total ambiguity.     

BennyCake

The stop clock is obviously the only way to insure the 10 minutes are served. And to prevent cheating and running Down the clock.

At county level anyway. More difficult at club level.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on January 14, 2020, 09:42:32 PM
The stop clock is obviously the only way to insure the 10 minutes are served. And to prevent cheating and running Down the clock.

Two watches, or use your note book as theticklemister said

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2020, 10:05:13 PM

That gives more work for referees though. They've enough to do. Timekeeping should be taken from the ref.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on January 14, 2020, 10:15:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2020, 10:05:13 PM

That gives more work for referees though. They've enough to do. Timekeeping should be taken from the ref.

At club level it won't be (timekeeping taken away)  it's daft to apply this at all levels at clubs, inter county they've 4th official to keep it sorted. The forward mark alone is crazy at club level especially at juvenile level, just get your big play to play on the 21 and boot the ball in!

Don't see the benefit on how it will improve the game

Milltown Row2

Sin bin is ten minutes regardless of delays like injuries during that period.

Forward mark rule kick must be played before the 45 and travel 20 meters and the player MUST make a hand in air sign.

He's 15 seconds to play ball, it's a clean catch Mark called,  should he not and tries to take a mark he'll be done for over carrying, players can tackle straight away for a forward mark should he want to play on. Oh and if a defender/keeper catches that forward Mark he can have it by making the sign for a mark, a raised hand.

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2020, 10:38:40 PM

Thanks MR2

Just to be clear, is this one senior man's opinion on how the 10 mins should be implemented, or did he get it from some official source?

Rossfan

Didn't it say that in explanatory notes issued by the GAA for the special Congress?
I recall reading it somewhere back then.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dabh

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2020, 10:38:40 PM

Forward mark rule kick must be played before the 45 and travel 20 meters and the player MUST make a hand in air sign.

He's 15 seconds to play ball, it's a clean catch Mark called,  should he not and tries to take a mark he'll be done for over carrying, players can tackle straight away for a forward mark should he want to play on. Oh and if a defender/keeper catches that forward Mark he can have it by making the sign for a mark, a raised hand.

Yeah but my understanding is that, like the existing mark, the player is allowed 4 steps or the length of time to travel 4 steps before they can be tackled ( providing he is outside the large rectangle)
It is not clear what is allowed if he cleanly catches it outside the rectangle but arrives in the rectangle within 4 steps and has not had the opportunity to raise his hand before been met by the wall of defenders stationed just inside the large rectangle
or how a player will make a clean catch inside the rectangle and manage to hold on to the ball while been tackled by multiple players and simultaneously raise his hand to claim the mark. Then somehow clear the 13 yards in front of him within 15 secs so that he can take the kick.
... expect loads of moaning and plenty of refereeing inconsistencies for a while on this one.