2019 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 10, 2019, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

It was only when the third goal went in they really relaxed and expressed themselves - and how great that was to see! Well done to them all, and to Eddie Brennan for getting this out of them. Perhaps 'the best' is still to come?!

Silkyskillssunshinee

In fairness Westmeath completely gassed out in that last quarter. That third goal killed them off. There was no intensity in the game after that.

MasterJ

It will be hard to beat anyone next year in Leinster and even if they did, the way it went this year the would need to win twice at least!

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

I have to say I enjoyed it to. It showed Kavanagh giving match-day ball to his mum.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on July 02, 2019, 06:11:03 PM
I have to say I enjoyed it to. It showed Kavanagh giving match-day ball to his mum.
Thanks for pointing that out.

I love that video footage, about 30 seconds in, of him taking a practice free. Great filming.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on July 04, 2019, 03:30:42 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on July 02, 2019, 06:11:03 PM
Thanks for pointing that out.

I love that video footage, about 30 seconds in, of him taking a practice free. Great filming.

Lovely touch. It also shows what it means to the players and their families when you can see them up front. Being recognized as the best among your peers is nice. Of course we would love to be battling with the top teams but for years there was no silverware for being the 'best of the rest'. The McDonagh is competitive and a good competition for developing a team. Just need to sort out the Leinster championship yo-yo next.

Laois Rising

It is a disgrace that the GAA have disbanded the Joe McDonagh All-Stars. Laois could easily have up to 9 players on an All-Star selection after their performances this year in the competition and now their efforts will go unrecognised. It's another example of the lip-service shown to actually developing and promoting hurling in the second and third tier. While Laois defeated Dublin this year, the reality is that in most cases the Joe McDonagh Cup winners will not progress past the preliminary quarter final game and as a consequence players from the Joe McDonagh winning sides will not reckon in the All-Star selections.

I feel it reflects poorly on the organisation that no recognition is given to the J McD hurlers to acknowledge their efforts and performances throughout the year. Due reward for being asked to play in a competition that removes them from their provincial championship.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this and counties objecting to this plan 

marty34

Quote from: Laois Rising on October 24, 2019, 02:32:52 PM
It is a disgrace that the GAA have disbanded the Joe McDonagh All-Stars. Laois could easily have up to 9 players on an All-Star selection after their performances this year in the competition and now their efforts will go unrecognised. It's another example of the lip-service shown to actually developing and promoting hurling in the second and third tier. While Laois defeated Dublin this year, the reality is that in most cases the Joe McDonagh Cup winners will not progress past the preliminary quarter final game and as a consequence players from the Joe McDonagh winning sides will not reckon in the All-Star selections.

I feel it reflects poorly on the organisation that no recognition is given to the J McD hurlers to acknowledge their efforts and performances throughout the year. Due reward for being asked to play in a competition that removes them from their provincial championship.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this and counties objecting to this plan

Do Laois players not go into Liam Mc Carty Allstars?

Laois Rising

They do. But that's not the point to my post. The GAA talk about the Joe McDonagh as a national competition and it should be treated as that- with individuals acknowledged for their outstanding performances in the competition.

19/20 times a Joe McDonagh winning side will not progress past game against third place side from Munster/Leinster and therefore no Joe McDonagh playing players will even come into the discussion for an All-Star. This year Laois broke the mold but I wouldn't be optimistic of that being repeated too often (especially now that counties have been forewarned what might happen if they take eye off the ball).   

I also can't see the problem someone like Enda Rowlands deserving a Joe McDonagh All- Star and a Liam McCarthy nomination/All-Star in the one year. 

marty34

Quote from: Laois Rising on October 24, 2019, 02:47:27 PM
They do. But that's not the point to my post. The GAA talk about the Joe McDonagh as a national competition and it should be treated as that- with individuals acknowledged for their outstanding performances in the competition.

19/20 times a Joe McDonagh winning side will not progress past game against third place side from Munster/Leinster and therefore no Joe McDonagh playing players will even come into the discussion for an All-Star. This year Laois broke the mold but I wouldn't be optimistic of that being repeated too often (especially now that counties have been forewarned what might happen if they take eye off the ball).   

I also can't see the problem someone like Enda Rowlands deserving a Joe McDonagh All- Star and a Liam McCarthy nomination/All-Star in the one year.

Rowland in with a good shout for All Star.  Jack Kelly nominated also.

I understand - there should be an All Star 15 for Joe McD but GAA, as you know, did nothing to promote a super competition.  It's a magic competition but 30sec. mention on The Sunday Game was a joke.

They should let TG4 do a live Joe Mc D game every week to showcase it.

Eddie will be looking to get a few more lads back on board to push on in 2020.  The trip to Nowlan Park should be good.

redsetanta

All the other competitions have an all star selection, Ring, Rackard, Meagher. McDonagh the only tier without one.  Aside from Laois the likes of Westmeath, Carlow etc should also be recognised.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

portlaoisekid

Quote from: redsetanta on October 24, 2019, 03:06:45 PM
All the other competitions have an all star selection, Ring, Rackard, Meagher. McDonagh the only tier without one.  Aside from Laois the likes of Westmeath, Carlow etc should also be recognised.
Really? I shouldnt be shocked but I am.. thats absolutely lousy on players.

Some times you just have to dispise the GAA top brass. They do not give a flying f**k about tier 2 hurling.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: portlaoisekid on October 24, 2019, 03:43:36 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on October 24, 2019, 03:06:45 PM
Really? I shouldnt be shocked but I am.. thats absolutely lousy on players.

Some times you just have to dispise the GAA top brass. They do not give a flying f**k about tier 2 hurling.

They are f*&king idiots.

1) What would it have cost them just to do it?
2) They are trying to promote tier 2 for football. Their track record about how they promote tier 2 hurling is shocking.