Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: stiffler on September 10, 2007, 10:16:49 PM
northern Ireland and the Republic are two mediocre sides. The only chance they have of regularly qualifying for the major tournaments is merging the two teams together. The sooner this is done the better for (almost) all concerned.

What, like the Germany team's all-conquering invulnerability since the FRG and GDR were combined?  ;)

The Ireland rugby team automatically "qualifies" every year for the Six Nations, at least two or three of whom are usually worse than mediocre, and how often do they win it?

They also inevitably qualify for the Rugby World Cup [so called], a tournament where they are one of just eight or nine teams (max) who could realistically ever have any hope of winning, and they invariably choke around the Quarter Final Stage.  :o

Save combined teams for Combined Rules matches - though even there Ireland risks getting tanned by the Aussies, more often than not... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Trust you Evil Genius to pick up the wind up baton and run with it.
FFS, cop on and ignore it
Have you no football talk?

Solomon Kane

Not before time. It was rumored that our ex-colonial governer Peter Hain stalled such legislation as he had a bit of previous form himself, during Springboks matches as an anti-apartheid protester. 

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ExiledGael

Don't be on here letting on you're upset lads!
We're all shit, North and South

stiffler

I think tonights proof (if it was ever needed) that the two teams should merge.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Solomon Kane

Quote from: stiffler on September 12, 2007, 10:14:18 PM

Aye right. Perhaps France and Spain should merge as well because they have had disappointing campaigns.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Solomon Kane on September 12, 2007, 10:30:11 PM
Quote from: stiffler on September 12, 2007, 10:14:18 PM

Aye right. Perhaps France and Spain should merge as well because they have had disappointing campaigns.

France are only two points of first spot and if Spain win tonight they go top....Hardly a disapointing campaign so far

You'll Never Walk Alone.

stiffler

France and Spain are 2 teams that constantly qualify for the major tournaments, and both are likely to qualify again. I dont see how this compares to two neighbouring teams both called ireland who havnt qualified for the finals of the European elite competition in the last 20 years. Without doubt a united team would have graced the European championships in this time with the talent we have on this island.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

SammyG

Quote from: stiffler on September 12, 2007, 10:35:56 PM
France and Spain are 2 teams that constantly qualify for the major tournaments, and both are likely to qualify again. I dont see how this compares to two neighbouring teams both called ireland who havnt qualified for the finals of the European elite competition in the last 20 years. Without doubt a united team would have graced the European championships in this time with the talent we have on this island.
And a United European team would win the world cup every time it was played. It would still be a bollix idea.

Getting back to the match. Shocking performance by Worthlesston, totally inept, mucking about with the defence, playing people out of position and then bringing on two midfielders when we need to chase the game. I hope he has the decency to resign but if not he should be sacked.

ziggysego

We're having the same problem's SammyG.

I guess it's a fight to the bitter end, as to who gets Martin O'Neill ;)
Testing Accessibility

Solomon Kane

Quote from: ziggysego on September 12, 2007, 11:12:46 PM
We're having the same problem's SammyG.

I guess it's a fight to the bitter end, as to who gets Martin O'Neill ;)

I don't think either association could afford to pay him, nor do I think he would have any notion of leaving club football for what is in effect a part time job.

ziggysego

I know Solomon. Was just having a little giggle. If we don't giggle, we'll cry tonight.
Testing Accessibility

Donagh

Quote from: stiffler on September 12, 2007, 10:35:56 PM

It's not necessarily a single team that's needed but a single competent Association to cover the whole country with a professional league.